News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

Just back from a trip to beautiful British Columbia, westernmost of our provinces here in Canada. We had the opportunity to golf at Wildstone, Trickle Creek, Osoyoos, Predator Ridge - Predator & Ridge courses, Talking Rock, and Tobiano.

Rather than incite a frenzied discussion of each course (although that is certainly welcome), this photo tour is meant more to show, to some degree, courses which may or may not be well known in other parts of the world, and hopefully spark interest which may result in future play.

The last course played on our trip was Tobiano, about 20 minutes west of the city of Kamloops, adjacent to the Trans Canada Highway and Kamloops Lake.

From their website...

"Golf at Tobiano is unlike golf anywhere else in the world

Award-winning Canadian golf architect Thomas McBroom used his entire palette in designing a course like no other. The site of the historic Six Mile Ranch has been transformed from rugged bench lands into a golf course that is as visually captivating as it is thrilling to play.

With five par 5s — including the spectacular 8th, the No. 1 handicap hole — eight par fours highlighted by the elegant necklace of holes 4, 5 and 6, and five par 3s that will inspire the shot maker in each player, from the dramatic first tee to the undulating 18th green, Tobiano is unforgettable.

SCOREGolf's Top 100 - Tobiano ranks 16 in Canada

In our first year of being eligible for the national ranking of Canada's top private and public golf courses, Tobiano received rave reviews from SCOREGolf's 102 panellists as it debuted into the prestigious Top 100 in 16th position.

Tobiano was the highest-ranking public golf course in B.C., and the 6th highest public course in Canada!

Tobiano was also rated 8th in the Top 15 Modern Courses in Canada (1960 - present)."

I noticed on ScoreGolf's latest rankings (2012) that Tobiano is now ranked 10th in Canada. Nearby Sagebrush, about an hour to the south, is ranked #11. Frankly this scares me (Tobiano ranked 10th best in Canada). I am assuming it is because of the course's visual impact and the severity of the terrain onto which it was built. As others have attested, the course is a beast and if not played "from the correct tees" will make for one long day. This golfer played "from the correct tees" and suffice to say will not likely be back. I lost a ball on the 1st hole on my second shot of the day, just missing the fairway to the left but never finding the ball. Did it again several holes later, same scenario. Due to time constraints (we still had a 5 hour drive to Jasper, Alberta after the golf and we weren't planning on golfing in the first place but had just planned a "look see" - my wife actually talked me into playing the front nine - so we didn't tee off until 1:00 that day) we just golfed the front nine and then hit the road to Jasper.

Matt Bosela has some excellent photos and a nice discussion on the course, see his thread here...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42367.0.html

On to the course...

View of back 9 from entrance road off Trans Canada Highway

Range with 1st hole in background; 9th hole at far left

1st hole par-5 576 yards

landing zone 1st fairway

approach area 1st fairway

from behind 1st green

2nd hole par-4 350 yards ... green is behind bunker complex on right

2nd hole, in the crook of the dogleg

2nd fairway

short left

behind 2nd green

3rd hole, par-3 162 yards

from behind 3rd green

More to come ...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:08:27 AM by Jim Johnson »

Jim Johnson

Re: Beautiful British Columbia (western Canada) TOBIANO photos
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »
4th hole par-4 510 yards

4th fairway

from behind the 4th green

5th hole, par-4 480 yards ... my favorite hole

right side of 5th fairway

middle of 5th fairway

landing zone on the 5th

approaching the 5th green

long and right of the green on #5

behind the 5th green

far behind the 5th green

The next 4 holes tomorrow .....

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Beautiful British Columbia (western Canada) ... TOBIANO photos
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
Jim,

Nice photos. It looks quite interesting so far.

Having never been to BC, I was expecting tree lined courses with a mist coming in off the Pacific. It's almost desert like, but the course is a little too green in comparision to the surroundings. How did it play?

Jim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
Donal, it seemed that every course we played on our trip was in great condition. The site at Tobiano is on the extreme edge of the northern extension of the Sonoran Desert coming out of the American southwest. The afternoon we played, the temp was about 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) so it was definitely a warm day, without any wind to speak of. It can get hotter; we've been in the Penticton area, to the south about a 2 or 3 hour drive, several years in early August (cousins reunions) with temps in the upper 30's (Celsius).
People we talked to at Tobiano, and some on this website, have stated how windy the site can be, and I can see why, sitting up on the edge of the lake in a large valley. In that area, it still seems like desert in the surroundings, with a lot of brush and dry grass and, I imagine, the odd rattlesnake here and there, although a cousin of mine, who lives in nearby Kamloops, once told me that rattlers only live on one side of Kamloops (the city is bisected by a large river) but I can't recall which side - north or south - they live on.
Must be this "Over 40" thing.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
6th hole, par 4 462 yards

6th fairway

landing zone on 6th fairway ... I putted from 70 yards off the green here. (No I didn't play from the 462 yard tee!)
Bentgrass fairways ... not quite the same as playing off fescue.

Side of the 6th green

Behind the 6th green

7th hole, par-3 197 yards. All carry.

7th hole, my tees

7th hole, my wife's tee shot

My wife's next shot

Behind the 7th green

8th hole, par-5 589 yards. All carry to hit the fairway (225 yards back tee, 204 for me)

8th hole, landing zone

8th fairway

Right side of the 8th fairway

Bunkered beside the 8th green

From behind the 8th green

9th hole, par-4 418 yards

9th hole

9th fairway

From behind the 9th green

This is as far as we got (had a 5 hour drive to Jasper after the game) ... 10th hole:

The front nine took 2 hours and 15 minutes, so things moved along fairly nicely. Things just bogged down when we had to look for my errant shots, unfortunately with more than one. Not fun.

Tobiano was the last course played on our trip. Hopefully you've enjoyed the photos, and if it's roused your interest enough to give one (or more) of these courses a try in the future, all the better.

Cheers,
Jim

Robert Emmons

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
Jim,

Thx you really do a great job....How far were  the nine holes you played, your yardages scare me...RHE

Jim Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
Robert, after glancing at the scorecard on the first tee, I chose to play the "Lake" tees, 6,109 yards total with 3,092 yards on the front nine. A couple of holes, #1 (551/Spur vs 520/Lake) and #6 (417/Spur vs 346/Lake) I chose to play the "Spur" tees, adding 102 yards to my front nine. I find that I enjoy a course of about 6,300 yards, play to a 14 handicap (but about a 20 on holidays: 1st time on the course, distractions, etc.) spray the ball once in a while, hit about 240 on a smooth stroke, 3-putt too often, etc.
We played a course this spring in California which had a scorecard with composite tees, I thought that was a cool idea. I think the end result was about 7 different total yardages you could choose from.

Tobiano's tees...
"Tour" = 7,367 yards
"Iron" = 7,110 yards
"Spur" = 6,616 yards
"Lake" = 6,109 yards
"Sage" = 5,358 yards

Personally, I think 5 sets of tees is too much. I also thought, in this case, that it was stupid to have a set of 7,367 yards and 7,110 yards, only 250 yards difference. Why not split the difference and have a set at about 7,200? (what percentage of golfers would play these tees anyway? I don't even recall seeing tee markers on those back tees when we were there). And how often is there a tournament (of 7,367 yards caliber) playing there?

Front tees were too long. 5,000 yards is plenty, especially on this course.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »
agree on the 7,000 + tees and a composite for Spur and Lake would be ideal for most handicaps...RHE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back