News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Austin bound...any recommendations?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »
Are Morris Williams and/or Jimmy Clay still open? These were our best options in the mid 70's.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
Are Morris Williams and/or Jimmy Clay still open? These were our best options in the mid 70's.

Jimmy Clay has a second course on site, Roy Kizer. Played both quite a bit over the years in junior events, Kizer has some fun holes and Clay is still okay just has a few holes that are choked in by trees.

JLahrman

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
If you support low cost public golf then you will go to Lions. SaveMuny is an organization trying to save it from development by TU and Tom Kite who wants to design a high end golf course. Tom couldn't design a decent course if you spotted him land and 9 holes finished on Cypress Point. Crenshaw is squarely on the side of SaveMuny.

I am currently unemployed (though on severance) until I move to Austin, and I have a wife and a 21-month-old daughter. So let me tell you sir, I am Mr. Freaking Low Cost Public Golf. I will be sure to check it out if the move happens.

And thanks to others who are chiming in.

Are there any other GCAers who live in the area other than Mr. Shackelford?

Steve Lang

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
 8)  Ya got to check out Willie's 9 hole Pedernales Cut N Putt in Spicewood and grab some good bbq, at least once and pick up a t-shirt & hat when you check out the facilities while you can

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 12:00:50 AM »
If you support low cost public golf then you will go to Lions. SaveMuny is an organization trying to save it from development by TU and Tom Kite who wants to design a high end golf course. Tom couldn't design a decent course if you spotted him land and 9 holes finished on Cypress Point. Crenshaw is squarely on the side of SaveMuny.

I am currently unemployed (though on severance) until I move to Austin, and I have a wife and a 21-month-old daughter. So let me tell you sir, I am Mr. Freaking Low Cost Public Golf. I will be sure to check it out if the move happens.

And thanks to others who are chiming in.

Are there any other GCAers who live in the area other than Mr. Shackelford?

Do you know what part of town yall will be in?

JLahrman

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »
Do you know what part of town yall will be in?[/quote]

No idea yet. We've been spoiled by the walking lifestyle in the Bay Area. Between using carpools and public transportation, and having so much within walking distance, I bet I've only been driving a car 25 miles a week. So my guess is that we'll look for an area like that (if it exists), recoil at the home prices in those areas, and then restrategize.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
Austin is funny.  There are great in town neighborhoods with a great variety of homes.   Bikes really work well. 

Then you go outside town, say north or northwest, and it looks like Dallas.   :P.  Tract homes one after the other. 

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

Lions really is a fun course.  I thought UT was trying to take a chunk of it to grow some more.   >:(

Yes Bill, UT is in serious need of money, the athletic department only netted $6 million last year.  One of about 2 schools who make money in athletics.

JLahrman, send me a message.

Craig, apocalypse is at hand...... in California.

don't tell me that... i don't wanna move back to PA!!    :o  On second thought... was just looking at $1.2 million fixer in my neighborhood... maybe it is time to go.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Austin is funny.  There are great in town neighborhoods with a great variety of homes.   Bikes really work well. 

Then you go outside town, say north or northwest, and it looks like Dallas.   :P.  Tract homes one after the other. 

Coming from a man whose aesthetic sensibilities were honed in Pensecola!  ::)

Someone mentioned the UT Golf Club, a private course on the west side of Austin affiliated with UT primarily by name (not a student course).  I once played with a member there, an airline pilot who had followed a similar path as JLahrman.  A prior resident of Marina del Rey, next door to LAX, he purchased his high-rise condo many years before when CA real estate prices were "reasonable".  He sold it when he reached the mandatory retirement age and with his $2+ Million gain, he bought a 3500 s.f. home on the UTGC for around $400k, cash.  He was happy as a clam in his "tract" home on a course he liked very much.  Though the Austin real estate market has changed considerably since that time, I hope that Mr. Lahrman's move is similarly successful.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »

Coming from a man whose aesthetic sensibilities were honed in Pensecola!  ::)

Someone mentioned the UT Golf Club, a private course on the west side of Austin affiliated with UT primarily by name (not a student course).  I once played with a member there, an airline pilot who had followed a similar path as JLahrman.  A prior resident of Marina del Rey, next door to LAX, he purchased his high-rise condo many years before when CA real estate prices were "reasonable".  He sold it when he reached the mandatory retirement age and with his $2+ Million gain, he bought a 3500 s.f. home on the UTGC for around $400k, cash.  He was happy as a clam in his "tract" home on a course he liked very much.  Though the Austin real estate market has changed considerably since that time, I hope that Mr. Lahrman's move is similarly successful.

Actually my aesthetic sensibilities were forged and honed in San Francisco.   The "tract homes" in Austin are not the walkable environment that Joel mentioned when asked where he would hope to live were they to make the move.  Everything outside the core is the "hop in the car to do anything" environment. 

JLahrman

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
I'm sure we will check out areas somewhat near campus, though I'm not sure what the home costs will be like. Anyone else seen "Old School"? Think I could pull that off? We'd prioritize neighborhood over space, though with frequent visitors we will want to be able to host grandparents without sticking them into a hotel or an attic.

JLahrman

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Hi all, I have officially relocated to Austin. My wife, daughter, and the movers have not arrived yet so at the moment all I have are a few t-shirts, an air mattress, and my two dogs. But life is good so far; already got the windows tinted in the Lahrman family automobile. Looking forward to hopefully getting out on the golf courses in the halfway near future!

JLahrman

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »

Jimmy Clay has a second course on site, Roy Kizer. Played both quite a bit over the years in junior events, Kizer has some fun holes and Clay is still okay just has a few holes that are choked in by trees.

Check...just made it out to Clay/Kizer for the first time yesterday. What an expansive piece of property. The only other publics I've played are Lions and Riverside, both are compact in a charming way. Clay/Kizer give you a 360 degree view of two full courses, a large range, practice area, multiple practice greens, and a four-hole par 3 course.

I played Jimmy Clay and started on the back nine. It was nothing that's going to win any architectural awards, but it was open and even a wild hitter like me could hit a bunch of drivers. Until I came to the unfortunate 18th that is. Not a good hole. The front nine was disappointing, several holes that are unnecessarily tight. Still, not a bad place to play for a $23 walking weekday rate. I'll plan to try Kizer in the near future. The facility is 10 minutes from me; I didn't realize it was so close.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Bumping this topic...headed to Austin over Christmas and hoping to play a few times.  Is everyone in agreement on this priority list:

Privates (if access isn't an issue):

Austin Golf Club
Spanish Oaks
Austin Country Club

Publics:
Barton Creek C&C
Barton Creek Fazio Foothills
Barton Creek Fazio Canyons
Wolfdancer

I would like to get to some of the muni options, but since I'll probably only have time to play once or twice will probably go with one or two of the above.  Am I off base?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
Golf? BBQ should be top of mind for you in Austin. 

Actually, the city would be a great base for a BBQ/golf trip. I need to plan this one year...

Austin

Franklin BBQ
https://franklinbarbecue.com

John Mueller
johnmuellermeatco.com/

Lambert’s
lambertsaustin.com

La BBQ
labarbecue.com

Stiles Switch BBQ
www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

Out of town…

Lexington (52 miles)
Snow’s BBQ
www.snowsbbq.com

Taylor (40 miles)
Louie Mueller
www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com

Lockhart (32 miles)
Smitty’s
www.smittysmarket.com/

Kreuz Market
kreuzmarket.com

Black’s
blacksbbq.com
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JMEvensky

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
Are Hunt's and the Salt Lick still in business?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »

Oh don't worry...I plan on getting my more than my fill of BBQ.  I have to find a way to occupying myself in between meal time though.

Brian Ross

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »

Actually, the city would be a great base for a BBQ/golf trip. I need to plan this one year...

If you're able to get on at Austin GC, definitely hit up Opie's afterwards for some BBQ.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
I wouldn't go out of my way for Wolfdancer. Go check out Delaware Springs.

Greg Clark

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
I would include Escondido on the private side.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
Bumping this topic...headed to Austin over Christmas and hoping to play a few times.  Is everyone in agreement on this priority list:

Privates (if access isn't an issue):

Austin Golf Club
Spanish Oaks
Austin Country Club

Publics:
Barton Creek C&C
Barton Creek Fazio Foothills
Barton Creek Fazio Canyons
Wolfdancer

I would like to get to some of the muni options, but since I'll probably only have time to play once or twice will probably go with one or two of the above.  Am I off base?

I prefer Canyons to Foothills at Barton Creek, not a Foothills fan at all.  Love the Crenshaw Cliffside.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
Don't leave out a visit to Cooper's for barbq in Llano.

David_Tepper

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
"Don't leave out a visit to Cooper's for barbq in Llano."

+1

Josh Tarble

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!  Really looking forward to eating BBQ until I can't swing   :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
Josh T. -

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago about the BBQ scene in Austin proper.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/austin-the-best-new-barbecue-destination-1415994424

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back