News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Austin bound...any recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
What did you think of all the front to back sloping greens on the Cliffside course?   To me that's the guts of the design.

mike_beene

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »
Sam,thanks for noticing my Bears.With our new stadium cost hitting 300 million,we need the publicity and donations.Thank goodness your Astros brought so much money in when they sold. Sorry you are moving to the American League but the 250 mill came in handy.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »
What did you think of all the front to back sloping greens on the Cliffside course?   To me that's the guts of the design.

That's what I like so much about the front side, the greens on the front just seem to roll naturally with the land.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:38 PM »
Sam,thanks for noticing my Bears.With our new stadium cost hitting 300 million,we need the publicity and donations.Thank goodness your Astros brought so much money in when they sold. Sorry you are moving to the American League but the 250 mill came in handy.

No biggie, Baylor is Baptist so I'm sure some of my inheritance was donated to that school. If they sell chairs from Floyd Casey I'm going to buy some for my living room, most of them have never been used.

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:27 AM »
Not sure what a new stadium does to further an educational mission other than bringing in cash.What a corrupt system the NCAA protects.I haven't given a dime.This head injury thing will be the death of football as we know it.A few years ago a late collegue of mine who was an NFL Hall of Famer and phi beta kappa said watch, the head injuries are going to finally become public in a few years and only a crazy would ever play the game again.Back to a real sport : golf.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 12:23:41 AM »
Not sure what a new stadium does to further an educational mission other than bringing in cash.What a corrupt system the NCAA protects.I haven't given a dime.This head injury thing will be the death of football as we know it.A few years ago a late collegue of mine who was an NFL Hall of Famer and phi beta kappa said watch, the head injuries are going to finally become public in a few years and only a crazy would ever play the game again.Back to a real sport : golf.

I used to see Darrel Royal at Barton Creek when we went. ;)

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 12:39:02 AM »

I think this design feature would have been more prevelant if the greens were a bit firmer and faster. I was able to play the yardage on all shots instead of thinking my way into the green.  In ideal conditions I think the green structures would be really fun to play into on a daily basis.

One note (that many will appreciate) is that this one of the few resort courses I've seen that allows walking. Cart paths have even been treated with a talking surface on steep inclined.  Being it was 104 today I was ok taking a trolley.

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:39 AM »

That's what I like so much about the front side, the greens on the front just seem to roll naturally with the land.

Agree 100%. It seemed like very little, if any, earth was moved to create the green structures.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 07:35:15 AM »

I think this design feature would have been more prevelant if the greens were a bit firmer and faster. I was able to play the yardage on all shots instead of thinking my way into the green.  In ideal conditions I think the green structures would be really fun to play into on a daily basis.

One note (that many will appreciate) is that this one of the few resort courses I've seen that allows walking. Cart paths have even been treated with a talking surface on steep inclined.  Being it was 104 today I was ok taking a trolley.

I hope you didn't play the full distance on #4!   I've never seen anything stop on that green. 

JLahrman

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
All right Austin ballers, I can't tell in this thread who actually lives in Austin and who just knows the area. But after 4 and a half years in the Bay Area, it appears that my wife and I might be moving to Austin in the near future. I'm putting it at a 95% probability.

I'd love to meet up with any Austin GCAers once we get settled in. First question, since we'll likely be moving there in early July...do y'all actually play golf in the summer in Austin?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 08:33:02 AM »
All right Austin ballers, I can't tell in this thread who actually lives in Austin and who just knows the area. But after 4 and a half years in the Bay Area, it appears that my wife and I might be moving to Austin in the near future. I'm putting it at a 95% probability.

I'd love to meet up with any Austin GCAers once we get settled in. First question, since we'll likely be moving there in early July...do y'all actually play golf in the summer in Austin?

In a cart....

Lynn Shackleford actually lives there, moved from Ojai recently.  Keep Austin weird!

JLahrman

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
In a cart....

Lynn Shackleford actually lives there, moved from Ojai recently.  Keep Austin weird!

I'll do my part.

Franklin Barbeque
900 East 11th Street

Get there by 9am

How are the vegetarian options? Or is it BYOT (Bring Your Own Tempeh)?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:33:39 AM by JLahrman »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »

How are the vegetarian options? Or is it BYOT (Bring Your Own Tempeh)?

I spent a couple of great weeks in Austin 20 odd years ago playing blues - this was before I took up golf.

I arrived a vegetarian...

...and left a confirmed carnivore.

In 1990 at least - there was no vegetarian option!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
I'll drive up from Houston to play,

JLahrman

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »

Well I'll probably be over in Houston some myself to play some golf. My brother and his wife and son live there.

I'm not too concerned about staying vegetarian. Who can't make a grilled cheese? And where there is Mexican food there are cheese enchiladas and black bean burritos.

Anyway, I'll keep you Texans posted. If we move, my wife will probably want me to help her do some annoying things like find a house, find a doctor, etc. So I doubt I will be ready to hit the golf scene on Day 1. But maybe by the time the heat starts to fade.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »
The only course I was able to play there was the UT club. How highly/lowly is it regarded?

I found a few holes to like, and some that rubbed me the wrong way, but it's been so long I don't remember hole numbers. Pretty course, overall, and they tolerated my CU cap. There WERE a few more waterfalls than absolutely necessary.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:11:09 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Sam Morrow

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »

Well I'll probably be over in Houston some myself to play some golf. My brother and his wife and son live there.

I'm not too concerned about staying vegetarian. Who can't make a grilled cheese? And where there is Mexican food there are cheese enchiladas and black bean burritos.

Anyway, I'll keep you Texans posted. If we move, my wife will probably want me to help her do some annoying things like find a house, find a doctor, etc. So I doubt I will be ready to hit the golf scene on Day 1. But maybe by the time the heat starts to fade.

Austin is full of hippie liberal douches (before anyone gets in offended go to hell and watch and episode of South Park called Goobacks) so finding vegetarian stuff won't be a problem.

Please drive the speed limit, play quickly, and vote Republican.

JLahrman

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:45:13 PM by JLahrman »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
Please drive the speed limit

Check.

play quickly,

Check.

and vote Republican.

I hope two out of three is OK.

Maybe if you were 3 for 3 California wouldn't so screwy. Just saying....... :o

JLahrman

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »
Maybe if you were 3 for 3 California wouldn't so screwy. Just saying....... :o

1) Not taking the bait; 2) I don't vote Democrat either.

Thanks for keeping the thread up at the top, but does anybody else know anything about golf in Austin?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
Is Hancock the pitch and putt still around?

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »
Wow.... Lynn Shackelford living in Austin, TX. 

Is that one of the signs of the apocalypse?       ;)   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
If you support low cost public golf then you will go to Lions. SaveMuny is an organization trying to save it from development by TU and Tom Kite who wants to design a high end golf course. Tom couldn't design a decent course if you spotted him land and 9 holes finished on Cypress Point. Crenshaw is squarely on the side of SaveMuny.

Lions really is a fun course.  I thought UT was trying to take a chunk of it to grow some more.   >:(

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
If you support low cost public golf then you will go to Lions. SaveMuny is an organization trying to save it from development by TU and Tom Kite who wants to design a high end golf course. Tom couldn't design a decent course if you spotted him land and 9 holes finished on Cypress Point. Crenshaw is squarely on the side of SaveMuny.

Lions really is a fun course.  I thought UT was trying to take a chunk of it to grow some more.   >:(

Yes Bill, UT is in serious need of money, the athletic department only netted $6 million last year.  One of about 2 schools who make money in athletics.

JLahrman, send me a message.

Craig, apocalypse is at hand...... in California.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »

Craig, apocalypse is at hand...... in California.

That's been my impression for some time.. however when the natives start fleeing you know its getting bad.  

Don't feel too bad for UT, the Big 12 just cut them a check for 22 million, along with the other 7 'original' members of the Big 12.  West Virginia and TCU got 11 million this year with more in future years.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:53:42 PM by Craig Van Egmond »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back