News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Huckaby mugged in Spain?
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »
Did anyone else receive this email from Huckaby?  Considering our past it makes little sense that I would be the only one asked. This is either tragic or the best Internet scam I have seen to date.

Folder: Inbox   
Message 1 of 21533    (OLD)  

X-USANET-Received:  from netmail12.cms.usa.net [127.0.0.1] by netmail12.cms.usa.net via mtad (C8.MAIN.3.82G) with ESMTP id 513qHwk465664M12; Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:55:57 -0000
Return-Path:  <huckaby72@yahoo.com>
Received:  from nm8.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com [98.139.91.78] by netmail12.cms.usa.net via smtad (C8.MAIN.3.75S) with ESMTP id XID615qHwk460538X12; Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:55:57 -0000
X-USANET-Source:  98.139.91.78 IN huckaby72@yahoo.com nm8.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com
X-USANET-MsgId:  XID615qHwk460538X12
Received:  from [98.139.91.63] by nm8.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 23 Aug 2012 10:55:57 -0000
Received:  from [98.139.91.18] by tm3.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 23 Aug 2012 10:54:57 -0000
Received:  from [127.0.0.1] by omp1018.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 23 Aug 2012 10:54:57 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:  ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:  32633.63396.bm@omp1018.mail.sp2.yahoo.com
Received:  (qmail 99301 invoked by uid 60001); 23 Aug 2012 10:54:56 -0000
DKIM-Signature:  v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1345719296; bh=iiLu LCdcuGAj76ccP/LGbXZJYX1Ijx/ePImmhjnoSA=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=5ViOF3pD3RXHmdfe3zr0BVkyF Tlbt83s83Ndpgt3wgOqiJ50SXyCeoCrFRngHqsiA9RefkgkwQh6/mJY5pFu3uIjykr5sVC8EwKQc4kI n1Edl 2iYJXz130WvKNsFxgtksZQpvFmD1s6QrEyHsUqL3U7EbFw81bDuy6zfgXw=
DomainKey-Signature:  a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=q/cjbV 1lq0Fy5eE8GRq4veNb2qCY4b/nD/7nrR5mfIxOZHlkS5U36BPgzQUtxiylTcxFRVCuKKQHs2Ny15igNr1MQJhbyxfKlwKhvp6wHxiWaMCU3Xde71XpAXxNq/uVfJbuuLhEPrUJ3VMv45PkRITuJx/5 M6YYN3KoLvs4k=;
X-YMail-OSG:  znch5K4VM1m8jE9tvLgWIs61dBUkMgRRS0zWsdc2rZbN7i3 9supl6s.5fE9zVhXEhaLCtHx8LY4o75sVBKkdPf9NoVXGt0_uGXxU60i.yqf aH0vKFDV8Cpl_AC7bRJbIHTNntYWcf.4kXFH6h4534b_Zofj0mAlEaPzFnOK OytzDlZ744fzZVHcdLwaaby7.phbJJJa4Xb0sqIPHQn7uY_jy.jZLwZFsJGZ oGr9pbORULWJM1hOKEylnsctVXexEfDC2ZPLZ0k1kdi4FgHJZdKq9Z15vfxR OMY9chwN4Im3qYiTSpjCAAwtz8pS_ozyTcBOL6RZ5.i5YRiVvjsVipmvahyr T6aqk_aPMBpdIV5JSfAmZjzAkjjoCh8GoC7HrKZRSuYsNOgoPS7Aa9VPYmTn 2a.2wKhVUF9aCtqMjBAa7OJd7jmId0UikTJNzjGA-
Received:  from [92.40.51.98] by web31809.mail.mud.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:54:56 PDT
X-Mailer:  YahooMailClassic/15.0.8 YahooMailWebService/0.8.121.416
Message-ID:  <1345719296.97692.YahooMailClassic@web31809.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
Date:  Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Tom Huckaby <huckaby72@yahoo.com> Add to Address Book    Block Sender
Reply-To:  hurckaby72@yahoo.com
Subject:  Help!!!  Allow Subject
To:  undisclosed recipients: ;
MIME-Version:  1.0
Content-Type:  multipart/alternative; boundary="-1395015409-679696004-1345719296=:97692"

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Madrid, Spain for a short vacation.unfortunately,we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash and credit card were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. Well I really need your financially assistance..Please, let me know if you can help us out?

Am freaked out at the moment!!

Tom

Copyright © 2012 USA.NET, Inc.® All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to be bound
by the Terms and Conditions of USA.NET's messaging service.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Huckaby mugged in Spain?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:22:26 AM »
The later...sign of the times.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
It's a scam.  Got a similar one from another gca in my mailing list. Very clever integration of names on your friend list or whatever and the old Nigerian Prince scam.

BTW, I have also been getting virus laden messages labeled "Mail Delivery Failure".  Sometimes, also seemingly from Friends.  Or, emails from friends titled "For Jeffrey". 

Not sure where this all comes from.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »
Scam, of course.  I had a friend who almost fell for a variation of one of these several weeks ago.  Unbelieveable.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:42:28 AM »
All monies for the Tom Huckaby Rescure Fund may be forwarded to me. I will make sure that he receives his just share.

Ronald S. Montesano
123 Candy Cane Lane
North Pole, Fantasy Land
1225-2012
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »
Scam.  I got one too.  Interesting that Jeff got a similar one apparently from another GCA.  I wonder where the data leak occurred?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »
It's a well known scam in the IT security community.  Unfortunately, it's pretty well done, but it has a significant "tell" - poor grammar.      
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:48:10 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Jim Colton

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:12 AM »
but it has a significant "tell" - poor grammar.      

This is what had me going...until I saw it didn't have the word hell in there somewhere :)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
I actually had a back and forth with the scammer. That was until I asked them, "How do I know you, and from where?"
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
This is either tragic or the best Internet scam I have seen to date. 

John,

Are you still standing in line at Shake Shack with the other people from Southern Illinois?

PS. Sorry for the inside joke.

David Davis

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:13:59 AM »
This is quite funny really. If you'll believe that your friend Tom would mass mail GCA members to borrow money, rather than calling you to ask a favor like this then I'm also finding myself in quite a bind, I received Tom's mail and was so distressed by it I immediately emptied all my accounts and ran up my credit cards to get him out of Spain and back to Nigeria. I totally understand his an his families needs for business class passage as that is what they are accustomed to. This is not to mention their need to arrange fake passports, we all know it's near impossible to get official replacement documents in time enough to finish off your trip. I'm just grateful I was able to help them purchase their new car upon arrival in Abuja, rental companies are just not trustworthy down that way.

I'm sure Tom is a man of his word and will pay me back as soon as possible in the mean time I'd like to also ask help from all my fellow GCA'ers as I'm sure you can understand what a dilemma helping Tom has put me in and what this does to my short term golf related travels. Please everything helps, I accept money orders, international wire transfers, credit card numbers, plane tickets and hotel and spa and of course golf vouchers.

You are all too kind, bless this wonderful community for coming together to keep ME golfing....

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tom Allen

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »
Scam.  I too received a similar one some time ago.  Had a great back and forth with the scammer, promising I had all the money he needed and that I'd send it ASAP (Western Union, of course).  I just needed him to prove that it was the guy I knew, so I would know I was not getting scammed.  Hook was now set.

We went back and forth for at least 1/2 an hour, until he finally had to concede he was not my buddy, because he claimed he had his driver's license (he had lost his passport in the original e-mail), but then he could not read me the numbers from the driver's license to confirm it was in fact my buddy.  He eventually had to admit he was a scammer (originally from Nigeria).  Got mad and cursed me out when I still refused to send the money.  I was just pleased to have wasted so much of his time (my only way to get a little satisfaction from beating a scammer).

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
It's a phishing scam.  His email was hacked.

You're also welcome to send funds to Nigeria to claim your inheritance.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
I got this e-mail also.  I sure hope Tom is all right. :)

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
My understanding is that TH is sitting at his office right now debating whether or not to drive down to Monterey to play Cypress or if he should just stay nearby and play SFGC with an emergency nine at Oly Cliffs.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
If you ever get one of these desperate pleas for money to be sent to cover my bail, in some desolate county jail in Nebraska, please do not discount it as a scam just because I use bad grammar!  Some times a mans gots ta make his bail...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
My wife's email was hacked a couple months ago and it resulted in her own desperate plea:

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I had a trip to
Manila,Philippines,for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at
the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and  wallet
were all stolen from us but luckily for us we still have our life and
passport's safe with us.

Manila for a short vacation? Why couldn't we have gone to Spain?

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »
I got it also. I asked Tom to verify that it was really him, and not a scammer, with a series of questions:

1. Please name for me the isthmus short and left of CPC #16 where a GCA member famously laid up, and for which this isthmus is named.

2. Please name Tom Paul's GCA nemesis.

3. Please name the person for whom The Emperor's website is named.

4. Please name the hockey-related website that had us all rolling on the floor because we were laughing so hard

5. Please name at least one of the original two members of the Honourable Company of Reverse Jans Golfers.

7. Please describe the bet you lost to me and why you STILL owe be a beer?

8. Please admit that your purported hole in one was a pseudo ace and that it didn't count...

If any Nigerian scammer can answer these questions, I'll send him the money because he'll have earned it...

I think I know most of these.... ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »
The reason it was working for me is that I knew that if Huck ended up on an episode of locked up abroad Huntley would never speak to me again. Not to mention the 4000 word email lecture from Gib questioning how I could not love the guy. Been there, done that.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »
I know for sure Tom wasnt in Spain because he was coaching a kid's game in San Jose!  Otherwise he'd have having dinner with me at Capp's Corner in San Francisco! 

I also got an email from Kalen Braley with a link to a site flogging men's health products.  Hacked and scammed!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
JakaB,

Yes, I received the same email.

I've received similar emails from other friends.

I believe that their computers get corrupted, their mailbox compromised and emails of this nature sent to those in their email address book

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
Patrick - Yep, that's how they do it.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
I got this one last week:

[mailto:westernunion@western.union.com

Congratulation I am here to inform you that we have released your
inheritance payment of $985,000,00 USD. We have paid for the clean Bill
Record Certificate and now your first payment of $4500 has been release.

We have today transferred your first installment payment available for
your pick up at any western union office nearest to you, but still "on
hold" due to the unpaid endorsement & activation fee amount of $650.00,
you are suppose to pay before your daily transfer will be made available
for you to pick up on daily basis. You will pick up the below
installment at any western union office nearest to you with below
information as soon as you send the needed $650.00 endorsement &
activation fee.

The Payment MTCN is available below for your tracking and confirmation
on our official Website:
 https://wumt.westernunion.com/asp/orderStatus.asp?country=global

MTCN#: 309-0365-458

Sender's First Name: Augustine

Sender's Last Name: Emeka

Text Question: .....?

Answer: ......

Amount Programmed: $4500 USD

(You can track the MTCN: 309-0365-458 by dialing 1-800-325-6000 or
https://wumt.westernunion.com/asp/orderStatus.asp?country=global
)

We shall release to you, the Text Question and Text Answer upon the
receipt of the official charges of $650.00 which will authenticate the
legitimacy of your fund. Please do not bother to go for picking up the
money without the payment of the required $650.00 endorsement &
activation fee because the funds is still on hold and you can not pick
up the money.

You have to send the needed money to us immediately with the below
information to enable us release your first payment of $5, 000.00. Send
the money $650.00 with the given information below.

Receiver Name :======= Medupe Relebogile
-        
-        
State:=====, Pretoria,

City:======= Gauteng
-        
 Question:======what for ?

Answer:======Activation
-        
 Amonut:===== $650.00

MTCN:=======?

Sender Name=====

Furthermore you are advised to call us as the instruction was passed
that within 6hours without hearing from you, Consider your payment
canceled.

Dr Michael Jordan

-------------------------

I got this one this morning:

Hello
My name is Audrea.
If it is interesting 4 u my age it is 25. I enjoy spending time with my buddies. I think parties r cool, do you agree?) I never stop looking for fun It's never boring when I'm in a company) I participated in cheerleading team so many boys think that I am pretty sexy) I never stop looking for new impressions, it is actually the reason why I'm writing it.
It is so cool when people write back really fast, right?)

---------------------------

And this one, a few weeks ago:

My considerations
I am a widow Christiane LOUISE EDWARD. And this is quite a pleasure for me to write to make you an offer because I need a collaborator so I plan to donate all my possessions. I have right now in my account in safe - secure option, the amount of $ 3,025,000 that I had kept for humanitarian projects ie invest in the social field, to rescue the poor because the whole world into account so . The name of God the Creator of heaven and earth, I beg you to accept this donation.
Thanks and God bless you.
MRS LOUISE EDWARD.

--------------------------
I'm pretty sure this one, like the others, is somewhere short of legit -- but just in case I'm wrong about that, I sent her my Social Security number ... and a request for the entire $ 3,025,000.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BCrosby

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
"I'm pretty sure this one, like the others, is somewhere short of legit -- but just in case I'm wrong about that, I sent her my Social Security number ... and a request for the entire $ 3,025,000."

Makes sense. After all, that's a lot of money. What could possibly go wrong?

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
I got it also. I asked Tom to verify that it was really him, and not a scammer, with a series of questions:

Shivas,

I got all of them except # 2.
Can you give me a hint ?

1. Please name for me the isthmus short and left of CPC #16 where a GCA member famously laid up, and for which this isthmus is named.

2. Please name Tom Paul's GCA nemesis.

3. Please name the person for whom The Emperor's website is named.

4. Please name the hockey-related website that had us all rolling on the floor because we were laughing so hard

5. Please name at least one of the original two members of the Honourable Company of Reverse Jans Golfers.

7. Please describe the bet you lost to me and why you STILL owe be a beer?

8. Please admit that your purported hole in one was a pseudo ace and that it didn't count...

If any Nigerian scammer can answer these questions, I'll send him the money because he'll have earned it...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back