News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

D_Malley

Caddy Job while living in NYC
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
My Nephew starts college in Manhattan this week.
He is a freshman at the Manhattan School of Music.
He has several years experience working as a caddy in the philly area.

Which Club's would be the best options to inquire about a caddy job?
He would need to use public transportation, combined with a bicycle to get to and from the course.

Doug Braunsdorf

Re: Caddy Job while living in NYC
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »
Dan, check your PM
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »
I'd look at the train lines out of grand central and mapquest the courses in the area from the various stops.  Some will be less than a mile from the station, some will be quite far.  Then it comes down to quality of course, openings, door-to-door travel time etc.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
Have him try the north shore of Long Island, Glen Head CC , Plandome CC and Nassau CC are all near train stations.

D_Malley

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
thanks guys!
some really good info so far.

His school is on the upper west side, would that make the NJ clubs more accessible?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
Personally, I'd get a job walking dogs. I've spent the last two weeks in Manhattan and amazed at this love of dogs gig.  Ran into Yoko Ono yesterday. What a strange world where people who have led such opposite lives still cross paths. She didn't speak so either did I.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:50:15 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Tim McManus

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
The three clubs in Garden City (GC Golf Club, GC Country Club and Cherry Valley) all have caddy programs and are within 10 minute walk of an LIRR train station.  Hempstead Golf & Country Club is also a short walk from the train.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Looks like Wee Burn, Apawamis, Westchester, Winged Foot and Quaker Ridge would all be a short bike ride away from the train.  Not too shabby, especially if he can sneak a few Monday rounds in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:29:36 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
D_Malley - Honestly, I wouldn't think at this point in the season that many clubs would want to take on an extra part-time caddy. As someone who recently spent 4 years caddying full/part time at one of the top clubs in Westchester, I know our caddymaster would never bring someone in at this point in the game. Rounds are going to start decreasing as kids are back in school, the weather begins to turn, and even football starts. For the loopers who make this a full time gig, this is now their time to earn the money that will hold a lot of these guys over for the winter. The college and highschool kids are gone, except a few that will come back on weekends, but certainly not enough to be needing more help. The guys who have been working hard all season deserve all the extra loops they can get, which is why I wouldn't expect it to be easy to find a part-time looping gig at this point.

Virtually all the private clubs around metor-nyc have caddy programs, and between metro-north and the LIRR, most are easy to get to.

Westchester:
WF
Quaker
Fenway
Bonnie Briar
Wykagyl
Century
Westchester
Braeburn
Purchase

Pat Burke

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »
Montammy  Barely north of the Geo Washington Bridge in NJ
Has caddies

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
DMalley.

Find out which clubs have the caddies getting $ 100 per bag, then caddy at those clubs.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »
Who needs a train?

Take the Hudson River Ferry from downtown (Wall. St.) to the Port Liberte stop adjacent to Liberty National.

Bayonne also has caddies but isn't accessible via a public ferry.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »

Which Club's would be the best options to inquire about a caddy job?
He would need to use public transportation, combined with a bicycle to get to and from the course.

As the Manhattan School of Music is near Riverside Park, I will assume that he lives up that way. I would simply bike across the George Washington Bridge 14 miles to Ridgewood CC or one of the other clubs in that neighborhood:

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/gwb-pedestian-bicycle-info.html

He can also take the train from 125th Harlem train station to the Westchester clubs mentioned. Taking a bike to and through Grand Central or LIRR/Penn Station is a long trip in itself if he lives near his school. Harlem is a small train station with less bodies to navigate a bike.

As Mr Kavanaugh is now a keen observer of Manhattan, he is correct - dog walking will be much less stressful and more lucrative.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
Jaeger,

Having done the job yourself, I know you are solidly in the pro-caddie camp. There are clubs that need more caddies in the Fall. True, your point about some regulars looking to crank up the double-doubles and extra loops to sock it away before Winter is valid, but frequently the late rush of play,especially if the late Oct-Nov. weather is favorable, finds many clubs shorthanded on weekends...perfect dovetail for an incoming college kid with caddie experience!

Rock on fellow loopers. Cheers,

Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

D_Malley

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
kris,
that was always my feelings, that the time when the caddymaster needs the most bodies was early spring and sept and oct. once all the college kids are back at school.  at least that  was the case in the philly area.

D_Malley

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
he will be living on campus at MSofM.  which is on the upper west side.

D_Malley

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:35 AM »
he will be living on campus at MSofM.  which is on the upper west side.

jazz trumpet player

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 07:44:56 AM »
D,

Is he a J. Wood Platt Scholar? Jazz player...awesome. Can't imagine a club that wouldn't want an accomplished young buck around to enrich the members rounds that was striving to better himself!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

D_Malley

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »
Kris,
He does not currently get the JWP scholarship.
I am very familiar with JWP as I received that scholarship all through college.

He has a very good scholarship from the school based on his trumpet playing and good grades.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
Any caddiemaster would be a fool not to hire him, especially if he can bring his horn to the course with him and play "Taps" whenever his loop three-putts.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back