News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

Re: Tom MacWood has passed away
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
Condolences to the MacWood family. What a terrible loss.

Tom and I often exchanged information with me, usually sending me articles and such to be sure I didn't miss anything about "my guys" and their courses.

He was always a great help to me.

We never met, personally, but it always seemed we had.

He will be sorely missed here.

George Bahto
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:54:21 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Howard Riefs

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
I was searching for the thread on Pinehurst and stumbled across what was likely one of Tom's last GCA posts that he wrote on Aug. 11, a day before he died.

He was reading and responded to a thread from this past January about Chris Buie's expert In My Opinion reoprt about "The Early Days of Pinehurst." Tom never stopped sharing his deep knowledge on the history of the game and GCA....

This is a quote from the December 1909 issue of American Golfer:

"The new golf course or number two eighteen hole course, opened last winter, and which awakened such universal discussion throughout the country, has now been perfected even to minutest detail and the complete result from the expert's standpoint, is a 'wonder.' Some idea of the difficulties to be encountered may be gained from the fact that the total number of hazards is one hundred and fifteen...

First criticized very severely, as Mr. Walter Travis predicted, it has now come to be regarded as standing practically alone, 'unique in this country, if not the world; a modern course for the modern ball. You have got to place, not bang anywhere, and you have got to think, a distinct value given to a particular shot on each hole.'"

These are concepts Travis had been preaching for a number of years, basically since his return from a tour of the UK in 1901.

On a side note John Dunn (JD) Tucker was the cousin of Willie Tucker, and the pro at Stockbridge GC in Massachusetts at the time he began at Pinehurst.
[/i]

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50826.25.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
My condolences and sympathies to tom's family during this extremely sad time. Tom's article on Art and Crafts and golf Architecture were life changing for me.  He left us far to soon and thankfully touched many of us. I am sorry i never shook his hand, nor got to know him and thank him for what his thoughts did for me.  May you rest in peace Tom . Tiger

Ron Kern

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2012, 07:49:45 AM »
I too was incredibly sad to hear this news.  I've always enjoyed Tom's writing.  Our prayers are with Tom's family.

SL_Solow

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »
Like so many others here, I was fortunate to correspond from time to time with Tom.  While we did not always agree, I enjoyed our exchanges.  His untimely death reminds us that no one is promised tomorrow and that we should treat others as if it might be our last day.  Too many  of our disputes on this board descend into pettiness; an event like this reminds us of how foolish we can be.  My condolences to the family.

Shel

Tony Ristola

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
This is sad.
Condolences to his family.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
Wow. I've been travelling since Monday, and haven't looked at Golf Club Atlas all week, until now.

My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread. I, too, have had the good fortunate to know, chat and correspond with Tom. I developed a deep respect for his intellect and knowledge, and his passion for research and writing on the history of golf course architecture. More important, he was a good guy; an easy guy to get along with, despite some well-seen spats in this discussion group he was involved with.

My condolences, and best wishes to his family and friends.
jeffmingay.com

Nigel Islam

« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
Very sad news. His timeline on the history of the OSU Scarlet course on this website inspired me to play there this spring.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »
Very sad news.  Tom was alwasy generous with time and information for me and any research questions that I had.

My prayers are with Tom's family.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
Terrible news. He truly made a contribution to the study of the craft. His are big shoes to fill.  I hope he was duly greeted in Heaven by Alister and Ross and CB and taken ou for his first round up there with the fanfare he earned in life.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »
 A very sad day for everyone.

I have been meaning to wriite about this since I heard of his Passing. If you are able, do read the piece in the WSJ on " Love is a Many-Splintered Thing."

I do wish that Ran could provide us with and address to to write Mrs. MacWood the old fashioned way, in ink.

Bob

Sean_A

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »
Wow, I just noticed this thread.  Gosh, I feel as if I walked into a pane of glass.  I am stunned and reminded of how quickly things in life can turn.  While I couldn't call Tom a friend in the conventional sense, I do hugely admire his pieces on golf, most especially the Arts & Crafts article.  Without question this is the most interesting and original work displayed on this website.  I shall miss Tom probably more than I know.  A strange thing to say about a man I never met, yet very apt.  He always seemed to be around the corner with an interesting take on a subject or question to ponder and it saddens me to realize that he will contribute no more.  I wish we had met.     

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »
Sean,

I agree with much of that and am reminded of Tom's passionate argument that Colt was heavily involved at The Addington, which I initially discounted, then came to consider somewhat and ultimately was convinced of.

I am another who loves the Arts & Crafts pieces. I had them printed and kept in my briefcase when I was living in London and whiled away many Tube journeys to and from work reading them.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »
Scott,

Interesting that you say that as I too discounted Tom's claim that Charles Blair Macdonald was substantively involved with the design of Merion, but after reading his work and seeing photos of the Alps and other template holes at Merion, I came to agree with him.

Especially when it was discovered that Wilson never sailed and visited the UK in 1910, but in 1912, AFTER the course had already been routed and the individual holes built.

We continued to disagree on issues concerning Aronomink and Seminole, but he always provided thought provoking information.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
I never had the opportunity to meet Tom but we corresponded a few times.  He was a great contributor to this site and for getting the facts correct.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Mike

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
So sad.  I haven't been on here in a while and log on to see this and Ralph.  I didn't personally know either man, but I do know they contributed greatly to the very parts of the game this website cherishes most.  Condolences to the MacWood family.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back