News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Steve Lapper

Re: Augusta accepts first women members...
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
As the father of two young daughters, I agree with Brad and think it long overdue.

As the successful wagerer with several of you here(Kalen, Jeff, et.al) as soon as you pay up,  I'll definitely celebrate and promise to spend every last dime at a cash establishment that has long supported gender -driven economics ;) :o !!

As someone who spent time in my past working indirectly with Richard Rainwater, I'll laud their selection of Ms. Moore.
She's smart, classy and 100% golf nut. Good pick!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Matt MacIver

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
On to the architecture: how long will the women's tees be?  ~5500 yards?  Will that make any holes better, or worse?  Will they have composite tees so I can choose to play 10 long and 11 short?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
Steve,

I've always paid every bet I've lost....and based on the details of our bet, i'm still ahead.  We've got another 7.5 months before its decided:

While I have neither the time nor patience to read all the previous pages and posts, I simply posture this:

Does anyone wish to wager that Ms. Rometty is not a member-in-good standing at Augusta National Golf Club by the start of the 2013 Masters?

I am willing to take any and all action up to $500 (maybe higher?) that says she is. Please PM me if you are interested.

Steve

Anthony Butler

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »
On to the architecture: how long will the women's tees be?  ~5500 yards?  Will that make any holes better, or worse?  Will they have composite tees so I can choose to play 10 long and 11 short?

Having spoken to couple of people who've played there, my understanding is that most of the women (so far) who play there are pretty good... The women's teams from a couple of local colleges play there a couple of times a year for instance... If someone like Annika or Karrie Webb showed up, they would go from the member tees that day, which generally measure about 6,600-6,7000 yards. Based on my fuzzy recollection, if you went from the absolute front of the member tees on each hole, you would be playing the course at around 6,300 Yds. Since they've had women play the course for years already, it's unlikely they'll be putting a new set of tee markers out for the 1/2 dozen times a year Condi or Rainwater's missus turn up for a game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:02:44 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
Steve,

I've always paid every bet I've lost....and based on the details of our bet, i'm still ahead.  We've got another 7.5 months before its decided:

While I have neither the time nor patience to read all the previous pages and posts, I simply posture this:

Does anyone wish to wager that Ms. Rometty is not a member-in-good standing at Augusta National Golf Club by the start of the 2013 Masters?

I am willing to take any and all action up to $500 (maybe higher?) that says she is. Please PM me if you are interested.

Steve

Kalen,

No insinuation you wouldn't, however, a little birdie tells me she next up on the list.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
Steve,

Steve

Kalen,

No insinuation you woudln't, however, a little birdie tells me she next up in the list.

Steve,

I hope you're right...I think this is great news from the boys at ANGC.....

Anthony Butler

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
I will become much more interested in the admissions policies of ANGC when they start considering middle class high school teachers/coaches for membership.  That two wealthy women have gotten into the club is of no concern or interest to me, and I'm as liberal as they come.

AG,

I don't know the financial details of admission and yearly dues at ANGC but it would seem to me that if middle class high school teachers/coaches became members, I'd begin auditing the school budgets  ;D  

I'm sure Pat is being modest here, because he knows enough about the finances to understand that Augusta as a non-profit entity with a monster annual cash flow could easily hand out 100 'scholarship' memberships to whoever they so choose.

Beyond the dues, which I believe were around $10,000 quite recently, there is the $6-7 million the souvenir tent pulls in during Masters week... and the $25 million in domestic and international broadcast rights...

Anthony,

Are you sure that the club and The Masters aren't two separate entities ?  ?  ?

That the revenues you speak of aren't comingled ?

I'm not sure how Augusta handles their finances... they haven't asked me, which is not surprising given that my wife hasn't asked for my assistance on our own finances for about 5 years.

I guess if I wanted to get fired I could go an pull a SOW off a server here at work and let everyone know who the client is. Probably a better way to explain it is that an awful lot of communications infrastructure has been put into the club over the last couple years... and, as you know, the additional expense of putting it all underground has to be paid for as well... They have also acquired some land and reconfigured their parking and guest entrance facilities. I don't believe the members have received a special assessment for these considerable costs.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:00:40 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Your screaming Moderate Independent who stupidly votes for the better person and is often wrong (I chose both Bush and Obama!)  

Mike, I actually thought I was being a moderate independent when I voted for Nixon, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, and Dole.  Then I became even more moderate and independent when I went for Gore, and Kerry, now Obama once and going twice.  How many did I get right lifetime?  ::) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
Your screaming Moderate Independent who stupidly votes for the better person and is often wrong (I chose both Bush and Obama!)  

Mike, I actually thought I was being a moderate independent when I voted for Nixon, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, and Dole.  Then I became even more moderate and independent when I went for Gore, and Kerry, now Obama once and going twice.  How many did I get right lifetime?  ::) ;D

It looks like none !!

PS. I did vote for Clinton the second term.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

I often wonder how much better things would have been with Gore in the White House on Sept. 11 2001. I think he might have used it as the reason  get off terrorist-supporting oil shipments from the Mid-East that much quicker. Also we would not have gone into Iraq.
Next!

Paul Jones

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
Condaleeza lands memberships at Cypress Point and ANGC in the same year. Not bad at all.

Congrats for her !!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:09:28 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 08:45:55 PM »
Condaleeza lands memberships at Cypress Point and ANGC in the same year. Not bad at all.

Anyone has Condaleeza's phone number? My new best friend :-)

Forget Jimmy Dunne because Condee is the real whale. ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
Mike,

It looks like Dick got two right given the deep fall after Clinton's term.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »
but this is in everyone's best interest as Augusta will remain the most high profile private club in the world for years to come.
Except for one other higher profile club based in St Andrews that also runs a major tournament and sets the rules of golf for most of the planet.  I don't believe they have any female members yet.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
Who knows - I'd still love to see a Ladies' Masters someday.

Dan,

That is a pretty great idea! 

Cheers

+1
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
I love that ANGC's announcement today overshadowed Sergio Garcia's win at the Wyndham.  Talk about irony.  If that golf course is too hard for him, how are the ladies going to play it.  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »

Dan,

Cheers

+1

Condi is a member at CPC? The women's Masters should be at CPC the same day as the men play at ANGC. The women can facilitate (drinks, snacks, child care etc.) their significant others enjoyment of the Masters, followed by the men facilitating the women's enjoyment of the women's Masters at CPC.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:47 AM »

Dan,

Cheers

+1

Condi is a member at CPC? The women's Masters should be at CPC the same day as the men play at ANGC. The women can facilitate (drinks, snacks, child care etc.) their significant others enjoyment of the Masters, followed by the men facilitating the women's enjoyment of the women's Masters at CPC.

And throw all that tradition out the window, you have to be kidding.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sean_A

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 03:08:42 AM »
I have never been quite sure why anybody cares who is and isn't allowed to join ANGC or any place one isn't a member of.  This is not a positive or negative step, merely a change in membership policy for a very exclusive club. 

Ciao

Sean,

Give me a break with the "its just a golf club" routine.  ::)

I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Anybody who makes it into Augusta has already made it - no matter which gender, colour or creed they are.  Do you honestly think (what will soon become a total non-issue because hardly anybody knows who is a member of Augusta - nor cares) this changes anything other than what goes on around Augusta?  If so, its a very sad comment on American society.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jud_T

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:46 AM »
Now we know the real reason Condi turned down the Vice-Presidential bid. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »

Anyone has Condaleeza's phone number? My new best friend :-)

Updating her list of memberships...

ANGC
CPC
SFGC
Shoal Creek
Country Club of Birmingham
Stanford Golf Course

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kirk Gill

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Anybody who makes it into Augusta has already made it - no matter which gender, colour or creed they are.  Do you honestly think (what will soon become a total non-issue because hardly anybody knows who is a member of Augusta - nor cares) this changes anything other than what goes on around Augusta?  If so, its a very sad comment on American society.

It doesn't change much out in the world, but it matters, some.

"Starling, when I told that sheriff we shouldn't talk in front of a woman,

that really burned you, didn't it?

It was just smoke, Starling. I had to get rid of him."

" It matters, Mr Crawford. Cops look at you to see how to act.

- It matters."

" - Point taken."
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Sean_A

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
Kirk

I expect it makes a difference at Augusta, but not so much outside of the elite world top 1% clubs.  So far as championing the female gender (which is what I assume folks are applauding here) I don't worry about what private golf clubs do.  That isn't anything close to the front line or at least it shouldn't be.  Personally, unless Augusta wanted to change, I see this a sad day for private golf clubs.  I have always felt that folks have the right to socialize with whom they please even if I find it disagreeable. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against women joining Augusta if that is what the membership wants.  If it isn't what the membership wants, well then, shame on all of us.   

Ciao

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »
Sean,
It's important because it sets a good example. 

Women, like men, can use their club's contacts/friendships to conduct business that benefits both parties.  At least in the States, a lot of business takes place on the golf course.

Sean_A

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
Sean,
It's important because it sets a good example. 

Women, like men, can use their club's contacts/friendships to conduct business that benefits both parties.  At least in the States, a lot of business takes place on the golf course.

Dan

There are more than enough mixed golf clubs to conduct business.  Do we need all golf clubs to be mixed for this purpose?  Can there be no separate gender clubs where business may be conducted?  Is the right to conduct business more important than the right to socialize with whom we please? 

None of it makes any difference to me personally, but I hate the trend society is on. 

Ciao

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back