News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

Just back from a trip to beautiful British Columbia, westernmost of our provinces here in Canada. We had the opportunity to golf at Wildstone, Trickle Creek, Osoyoos, Predator Ridge - Predator & Ridge courses, Talking Rock, and Tobiano.

Rather than incite a frenzied discussion of each course (although that is certainly welcome), this photo tour is meant more to show, to some degree, courses which may or may not be well known in other parts of the world, and hopefully spark interest which may result in future play.

After our cousins reunion and 5 days in Penticton, we ventured north to the Predator Ridge resort southwest of Vernon, a couple of hours drive north of Penticton. We enjoyed a stay&play at the resort, lunching with Dick Zokol, creator of the wonderful Sagebrush Club and now Executive Director, Golf Development, who mentioned to us the idea of helping to create a third course at the Predator Ridge resort, to be a minimalist course much like Sand Hills in Nebraska. Hopefully the economy will turn around (soon) to see that happen. We golfed the Predator course in the late afternoon, and the newer Ridge course the next morning.

From their website...
"Our newest course, opened in 2010, was designed by renowned course architect Doug Carrick and has quickly become known as one of Canada’s best golf courses. The Ridge Course celebrates the stunning scenery surrounding Predator Ridge. A challenging but playable course featuring breathtaking views that give way to dramatic elevation changes dotted with beautiful granite outcroppings. The Ridge Course is a game-changer. Literally.
Taking advantage of the natural topography of the area, the course is defined by long, scenic fairways and beautiful granite rock outcroppings. When you come up along the fourth over the ridge and look down at Lake Okanagan, you’ll understand why that view inspired the name: The Ridge and why it has been quickly known as one of Canada's best golf courses.
This masterful design is Doug Carrick’s signature. Known for courses that combine the unique character of each site while maintaining the traditional values of the game, the award-winning architect is behind three of Score Magazine's top five best golf courses in Canada.
The brilliant layout will undoubtedly exceed the expectations of the vast majority of golfers. Unlike many new courses built in the past 15 years or so, The Ridge truly is playable (and score-able) for the average recreational golfer. The playing corridors are comfortably wide, the greens are large and relatively flat with only subtle slopes, and the bunkering, while beautiful is not overly punishing. This is not to say that low-handicap players and pros will tear this course apart. It stretches 7,123 yards from the tips and comes in with a 73.8 rating (133 slope)."

A few pictures of the front nine...

This was our favorite course on the trip. Visually, it's spectacular. Condition-wise, it was immaculate, other than half of the green on #3, which seemed to be lost (lack of sunlight? lack of airflow?). There seems to be sufficient room to maneuver the ball around and landing zones are generous for the most part. Carrick did a masterful job of routing, considering that he inherited several holes of a previous Les Furber design and incorporated those into his 18 holes.

Back nine to follow in a day or so.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:48:48 PM by Jim Johnson »

Jim Johnson

Re: Beautiful British Columbia (western Canada) THE RIDGE COURSE photos
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
And on to the back nine.....

Overall, the Ridge course was a joy to play. We loved it, and we'll be back to play it again.
Cheers,
Jim

Ian Andrew

I also liked the course. I thought it managed a tough site very well. I particualrly liked Doug's original holes better than where he had to incorporate the nine routed by Les Furbur. He managed to alter them, but the routing hampered him a bit too.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Garland Bayley

Welcome back Ian!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Johnson

Ian, for those who have only recently played the course, please clarify what "new holes" Doug made in addition to Furber's nine. We golfed with a gent who plays there one week a year and he mentioned to me that the "Outlook Cabin"/halfway house is on the end of the older nine holes, so I assume that the downhill par-3 starts Doug's new holes and finishes up again at the Outlook Cabin?

I agree, I think Carrick made excellent use of a very tough site. With great results. Bob Jenkins must be one very happy man.

Yes, welcome back Ian, great to have you here (again)!

Ian Andrew

Ian, for those who have only recently played the course, please clarify what "new holes" Doug made in addition to Furber's nine. We golfed with a gent who plays there one week a year and he mentioned to me that the "Outlook Cabin"/halfway house is on the end of the older nine holes, so I assume that the downhill par-3 starts Doug's new holes and finishes up again at the Outlook Cabin?

I agree, I think Carrick made excellent use of a very tough site. With great results. Bob Jenkins must be one very happy man.

Yes, welcome back Ian, great to have you here (again)!

I'm pretty sure Doug's holes begin with the par three 5th  and end with the 13th
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Bob Jenkins

Jim,

I agree that the Ridge course is much better than the Predator.

Ian, you are generally correct in so far as the holes routed by Doug Carrick which started at #5 and continue through to #12. #13 has a new green in the same general location as the old #5 green of the Peregrine Nine but the old hole was a par 4. #13 now is a par 5 and the tee has been moved back at least 100 yards and elevated. #14 is a new hole. There was previously an area which had been cleared between what is now the #13 green down to the #14 green but it had never been part of the course.

The greens on the Ridge are excellent. Subtle without the extreme undulations of the Predator course.

Most of the tees are very elevated above the fairway on the Ridge and that must be due to the extreme terrain over which the course was built.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back