News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Machrihanish = An Absolute Golfing Heaven
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »
I'm in love with Machrihanish!!! From start to finish it is a pure joy to play. The thrill of the opening tee shot is well documented... and, it does not disappoint... but, the course thrills and entertains from there in a way that makes one smile on nearly every tee box. This course so outshines modern courses that try to "challenge" the golfer and protect par on every shot. Machrihanish let's you decide if you want to take chances or play it safe, and gives you the opportunity to shine no matter what your choice. Too many new courses punish the golfer who chooses to play conservatively, only really rewarding the players who can handle one challenging shot after another. Machrihanish is no push over, but it rewards well chosen and thought out shots and gives the weaker player a chance to compete head to head with the Tigers.

We had 12 players in our group with handicaps ranging from 3 to 20. Every single player is in love with this course! That rarely happens.

Eric Smith... you may burst with joy when you see this one!

I only wish it were not so difficult to reach. We took the Kintyre Express speedboat from Troon harbor to Campbeltown, which took about 1.5 hours to cross the Firth of Clyde. The trip was quite fun and an adventure... but, we had a beautiful day with relatively calm water. I imagine it would be another story if the waves were up and you bounced your way across the firth.

I WANT TO GO BACK!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kris Shreiner

Re: Machrihanish = An Absolute Golfing Heaven
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
Mike,

Glad you liked Machrihanish, though I can't totally agree with the "finish" part of your assessment. The closing holes are a bit weak and there are a few mediocre holes in the early going. I assume since there was no mention that you skipped Machrihanish Dunes. Did you hear any word on how they are doing there?

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:41:08 AM »
Mike,

...and there are a few mediocre holes in the early going.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Which ones?

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Mike,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your day at Machrihanish.  For me, it might be the most anticipated round during my upcoming trip to Scotland with Eric and Brian.  There are not many photo tours of the course.  However, I've viewed all the videos on Youtube that I could find and googled as many photos of the course possible.

Can you give us an idea of what type of property the golf course sits on?  Does the property compare favorably to another course that you've played?  For me, the property looks very similar to Lahinch.  If you have an example in mind, that would be great.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:06:21 AM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
Ron:

The first one-and-a-half holes (#s 1 and the first half of #2), along with 17 and 18, sit on a somewhat flat parcel of land. Machrihanish is a true out-and-back course, and after skirting the ocean with the tee shot on #1, the rest of the hole and the fairway for #2 sit on this land.

But the second shot on #2 takes you up into the dunes (#2 is one of the great greens I've seen), and the rest of the front nine is just terrific golf over, around, and through the dunes. The best comparison is land that looks like a roiling sea.

The back nine is a bit less tumultuous, but still contains many good holes, and the back-to-back par 3s at #15 and #16 I think are quite good. The final two holes are somewhat anti-climatic, because you move out of the dunes land and into the broad flat plane that returns you back to the clubhouse across the street. Still, to me, it didn't diminish the round, and 18 to me is actually pretty fun as a short, driveable par 4 with some trouble along the way.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
Thank you Phil.

Are the fairways generous?  How penal is the rough? 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Can't say about the rough; far off-line and it can be difficult to find a ball, but I think I only lost one or two out there.

The cool thing about the fairways is that the natural terrain sometimes funnels balls into a corridor, but they are also sometimes squeezed in between dunes, so they can get quite narrow in places. I've played links with wider corridors, but I don't think anything out there is what I'd call unfair. I'm not sure I've ever played a course in which, the first time out, I was more undecided about what kind of club to take (esp. for 2nd shots), and what kind of bounces/rolls/run-out you'd get on a shot. It's almost (particularly the heart of it, which I'd characterize as holes #3-14) a course in which you can throw out yardage books and conventional club yardages; you almost have to play it by feel.

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
Like Mike...if I could be like Mike. :)

Great hearing how much fun you're all having, Mike and I can't wait to get over and follow your trail. I just hope you guys saved us some beer!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
Mike I thought I was having a great August, but I have nothing on you. Every day is a great one for you and me. Yes the great Mac is special beyond words and never fails to impress and provide thrills to those that make the journey there.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »
Machrihanish was a lot of fun as you reported Mike, challenging but not brutal.  Unfortunately for my memories of Machrihanish it came a day after The Machrie that absolutely blew my entire group away.  Machrihanish is good, but I firmly believe if you have come that far and dont take the extra ferry crossing to Islay to see The Machrie you have missed out!!!

As time permits I may try to put a few pics from Machrihanish on here since someone asked.  I put a few from The Machrie on a week or so ago.

One just to tempt you from the opening tee at Machrihanish...
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Chris Shaida

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

I WANT TO GO BACK!!!

pick a date, I'll go back with you...

Jon Byron

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
And after your round or in the evening how enjoyable and accessible is Macrahanish for dining or walking around and enjoying the adjacent vicinity?
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back