News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Del Vecchio

Just Played the Oaks Course at The International (Tom Fazio)
« on: October 07, 2003, 05:06:52 PM »
I just got back from playing the Oaks course at The International in Bolton, MA.  Is is the new Tom Fazio course that Golf Digest ranked as the #8 course in the state, ahead of GCA favorites such as Eastward Ho!, Charles River, Oyster Harbors, Brae Burn, and Essex County (which didn't make the 15-course list this year).

I have played a few Tom Fazio courses in my day, not many.   But enough to say that this is a "typical" Fazio course.  It's extremely appealing to the eye; the course is cut out of a dense forest of oaks and pines, and on a sunny day like today, the blue sky, green trees, and green turf were beautiful.  And several holes allowed a view of the Blackstone Valley and Wachusett mountain.  

The course also has the "typical" wide fairways, large yet shallow bunkers, and huge greens one sees on Fazio courses.  The fairways weren't too difficult to hit, but once they are missed, there is plenty of trouble.  This course played more difficult than the other Fazios I have played, but part of that must have been the 10 MPH wind that we played into on 12 or so of the holes.

The routing leaves a bit to be desired; there is a long way between two early holes (2 and 3?) and a VERY long way between two late holes (17 and 18?).  The latter felt like it was between 3/4 of a mile and a mile.  Apparently, when they held the Francis Ouimet tournament there this year, they had to ferry players in carts.

The greens were somewhat firm, but not particularly fast.  

Overall, I would say that this is a very good modern course.  I would say that I preferred it slightly to Waverly Oaks and both Pinehills courses, but that Red Tail remains my favorite modern course in MA.

Dan_Callahan

Re: Just Played the Oaks Course at The International (Tom Fazio)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »
Just played the Oaks course for the first time today. Back in May, the International announced that the Oaks course would open to public play. The 8,300-yard Pines course by RTJ remains private. The International also has a 9-hole executive course.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very impressed with the Fazio course. I thought it was better than Red Tail and Waverly Oaks. No holes stand out as being exceptional, but there wasn't a single weak hole on the course. The greens were very fast, the fairways were well maintained, and it was as fun a round I've played on a public course in a long time. In addition, the driving range and practice facility were great. We teed off after 3:00, which meant that 18 holes with cart and range were $80. For a course this good in the Boston area, that's a hell of a good deal. In that price range, this is easily my favorite public course in New England. The only downside, and it's a big downside, is it isn't a very walkable layout. Big, big elevation changes and some long green to tee walks.

Evan Louden

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »
Those who prefer to walk will often take a cart, use it for 1-4, leave it by the snack shack at the 5 tee and walk 5 - 13. Then pick the cart up again and use it on 14-18.

~Evan

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
That makes a lot of sense. It really is the beginning and end that had the longest and steepest walks. However, if I was a member and paid $27 for my cart, I'm stubborn enough to say there's no way I'm going to leave it for a few holes. I paid my money and I'm going to use it.

Honestly, the fact that the course isn't very walkable is pretty much the only thing holding me back from joining. I liked the course and practice facility that much. Even though it's about 45 minutes from my house (and there are a bunch of courses much closer), it's the best combination of great golf and a reasonable price that I've seen in this area.

Anyone on here play the Pines course? I'm curious to know if it is as good as the Oaks. I'm not a huge fan of Cornish. Almost all of his courses that I've played have been average at best.

Evan Louden

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »
I've played the Pines 3 times and the Oaks once. I liked the Oaks course but would definitely prefer the Pines course. The Pines is more walkable than the Oaks but still not an easy walk. Gimmicky "Tiger" tees withstanding, the Pines is really long.

Oh, and the lobster roll in the clubhouse is pretty awesome.

~Evan

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
I thought it was interesting that the International (and I hope I'm not giving them hints) chose to make the Oaks public, when I would consider it the more desirable course to play there.  Perhaps they are saving themselves from 6-hour public rounds when hammerheads try to tackle the 8300 yard tees at the Pines...

The Pines is not bad, just not really noteworthy other than the ridiculous tees and the one green that is like 75x50 yards large.  I played a tournament there once from the 6900 tees and it was fine, and every hole we looked for the Tiger tees and found them in places where many of the holes fail to make sense.  Case in point, there is one pretty downhill par 3 that plays from a hilltop over a pond to a green benched into the opposite hillside.  From 190, the hole is very nice.  The Tiger tee back at 270 is found down a slope behind the 190 tee, so from 270 you look into a 10-ft hill with sky above, and you don't even get to see the elevation change, pond, green or anything to do with how the hole was designed, nor do you get to see where your ball goes.  Weird if you ask me, and this happens throughout the course.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the Pines doesn't get a ton of afternoon play from members, which is appealing. If I'm going to drive 45 minutes to get there, I want to be able to get out on the course without a tee time more often than not. I'm really debating joining. It's farther away than I would like, but it's a very good price and the 3 courses combined with great practice area is tempting. Not a whole lot of great options north of Boston.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back