News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: A great course, but a difficult walk, that's how I'd
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
Aren't there (at least) two distinct kinds of 'difficulty'.  One is the purely physical difficulty (hills mostly) that could probably be quantified  pretty precisely using the method hiking guides use that combines length, elevation change, steepness and footing (or something like that).

Then there is the difficulty (mental? spiritual? conceptual?) where one feels that one has to spend walking energy on non-golf terrain or in a non-golf way.  This often happens on course designed to be played mainly with carts where one can't just march off the front of the tee box and get to one's ball.  I think there was a thread a while back specifically about the Dormie Club in this regard.

In my opinion, Sleepy has a pretty 'physically difficult' score but offers virtually none of the second kind of difficulty -- the whole walk is a 'golf walk' and is fantastic.

When you have a severely damaged knee that needs replacement, perhaps then you'll understand the meaning of a difficult walk.
I've never encountered a spiritually/mentally/conceptually difficult walk.
Could you cite five specific courses as examples so that I can better understand the concept ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
Mark,

If you'll REREAD the opening post you'll see that I called Bayonne "terrific", not great.

You called Sleepy Hollow great though correct?

You're one for two in the reading comprehension category. ;D

Mark

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

Great point.  This is a course that was designed to be walked, and it shows.  There are no ridiculous green to tee traverses, and the entire course flows (the old walk from 12 to 13 had a bit of a hike feel, but the changes have alleviated that issue).

Even though the course has uphill stretches (2nd fairway, 4th, 5th, 12th and 18th), I kind of think the difficulty gets blown out of proportion a bit due to the marginal severity of a few of the ascents.

Sven,

What about the walk from # 3 tee to # 3 green ?
The walk from # 3 green to # 4 tee ?
The walk from # 7 tee to # 7 green ?
The walk from # 11 green back to # 12 tee ?

Charlie Bell,

If you played SH ten years ago, you would be ecstatic over the recent changes, they're quite dramatic.

While many are focused on the views, you may be overlooking the quality of the individual holes and especially the green complexes.

Dan Byrnes,

# 10 seems out of context with the rest of the course, but, what holes didn't you feel "belonged".

Shivas,

SH is a terrific golf course, one you'd enjoy playing every day.

archie_struthers

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »
 ??? 8) ???

Bayonne a tough walk????  It's hot there in the summer , but the walk doesn't strike me as difficult.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:50 PM »
??? 8) ???

Bayonne a tough walk????  It's hot there in the summer , but the walk doesn't strike me as difficult.

Archie,  two days after I walked it I needed a double angioplasty. ;D

Three days later I played Liberty National for the first time.

Just so we can context opinions on the difficulty of the walks, could those responding list their age.

Thanks

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:53 AM »

Great point.  This is a course that was designed to be walked, and it shows.  There are no ridiculous green to tee traverses, and the entire course flows (the old walk from 12 to 13 had a bit of a hike feel, but the changes have alleviated that issue).

Even though the course has uphill stretches (2nd fairway, 4th, 5th, 12th and 18th), I kind of think the difficulty gets blown out of proportion a bit due to the marginal severity of a few of the ascents.

Sven,

What about the walk from # 3 tee to # 3 green ?
The walk from # 3 green to # 4 tee ?
The walk from # 7 tee to # 7 green ?
The walk from # 11 green back to # 12 tee ?

Shivas,

SH is a terrific golf course, one you'd enjoy playing every day.

A. I'm 41.

B.  I think you summed up my response in what you said to Dave, but I'll digress.

C.  The walk from 3 tee to 3 green is magical, and certainly not strenuous.  7 green is below the 7th tee, I've never heard a complaint about a downhill walk on a golf course.  As for the walk from 11 green to 12 tee, if that was too much I'd suggest P90X.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 01:25:07 AM »
Sven,

Walking downhill on a very steep, long slope in soft spikes isn't easy.
Especially in the rain.

Walking back from # 11 green to # 12 tee is a risky/hazardous endeavor, or haven't you played that tee ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
If you go to the course by country and look at the photos, they don't reflect the additional tree clearing that's had a very dramatic impact on the play and look of the holes.

It would be great if current photos could be posted.

Corey ?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 02:07:36 AM »
Pat:

For the number of years you've been playing golf, you're the last person I'd expect to take a path back through the line of play.  Try the right angles next time, not the hypotenuse.  

As for 7, its not like you were making the descent from the summit of Everest. 

I think we are in agreement that it is a wonderful golf course.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 02:55:11 AM »
Sven,

The work done in the last two years made it even better.

I'd still like to see more trees removed and there is something out of context about # 10.
Maybe it needs some bunkering.

Has anyone played the other course at SH and if so, how are the holes and the green complexes ?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »
Patrick,

I did not find Sleepy Hollow a particularly taxing walk... and I am VERY critical of courses that present a hard walk as it is one of my pet peeves. Of all the courses I played in the North East during my year in Manhattan, Sleepy Hollow was the biggest pleasant surprise and the course that I would most like to play again.

I have played a dozen or more "masterpieces" in the past two years that offer a much more difficult walk than SH. I'm not saying it is an easy stroll, but I didn't come away from the course with the thought that the walk was overly difficult.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

archie_struthers

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
 ;D ::) 8)

Pat if we must divulge age

56.  ..  but garage kept.   Lol

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
Mike,

What courses that you played in the Met area presented more difficult walks than SH ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
;D ::) 8)

Pat if we must divulge age

56.  ..  but garage kept.   Lol

Archie,

I have a great joke for you relating to "garage kept".

While some may consider it heresy, I forgot to mention that Sand Hills isn't the easiest walk.

corey miller

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »

Pat

I am most happy you made it back to Sleepy Hollow and even more happy you think so highly of the course.

In the MET area, I would consider Hudson National a more difficult walk.  Sleepy is difficult (few know this as well as I as I jog the course during the off-season) but for a variety of reasons:the compelling architecture,most of hilly terrain is traversed during play of a hole,and the fabulous "walk in the park", it does not seem as severe as it really is.

Some more tree work will be done during the winter, perhaps not as much as you or I or Gil would like but we certainly have accomplished more than most places in our renovation/restoration.  I am also confident for the future as we have set up a long-term architectural committee committed to actually listening to Gil  ;D, as well as having empowered our Superintendent (with support of the board) to keep focusing on the "detail" work (expanded greens,appropriate mowing lines,short grass feeding into bunkers,bunkers in fairway) which few if any "regular golfers" notice.  I like to think we are most excellent in this regard especially relative to the classic era courses in this area.

Obviously, you were correct on your analysis of #5(did you play the back tee here? diagonal tee shot makes the hole), a great hole (my favorite on the course), a fantastic view, and a wonderful skyline green.  Certainly the skyline aspect was obvious to Gil and George and a few on the committee but we had a plan in place to do a lot of the tree work gradually hoping we would get some support from those who might have been opposed when originally presented with the ideas.

As for the "old 12" remaining in play?  I was just fighting to build consensus to build a "new 12"  ;D  This solved many problems on the course, bringing us closer to #13 tee (in fact we were able to increase the yardage of the course while also shortening the total walk) while also allowing us to return #15 punchbowl back to an appropriate yardage for a second shot as it previously was a par 5 into a wind. 

"old 12" was a long slog up a hill with far to many trees interfering, many thought, because of difficulty it was the "best" hole on the course. ???   I think in the end, ultimate acceptance of the plan, and what we had done and Gil's vision necessitated taking the old hole out of play.  I might add, that in contrast to many other "two-green holes", we would have had to maintain both two green-sites as well as two fairways which also doesn't even take into account the difference in par between the two holes.

I was hoping to work with Ran on a few more pictures, perhaps with some help I can post a few before and after.

I must sign off for now but am quite interested on the thoughts of all who have posted.  I would argue that the most impressive thing about Sleepy Hollow, relative to other well regarded classic era courses is the routing and certainly (and GW guys forgive me if I am using a GD term ;D) the "walk in the park test".  Though it is a difficult walk, it is a wonderful walk that certainly I am sure rates highly in most golfers mind.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »
Corey,

I told your locker man to say "hello" from me.

The combination of the blind tee shot, the shared fairway, the spectacular skyline green and the views of the golf course make # 5 one of my favorite par 4's.

I was surprised by how much had been done since my last visit and am glad the efforts are ongoing.

I understand the issues with # 12, but I'm one of those who prefer to retain the old hole/complexes when new alternatives are introduced.
Maybe # 9 at Pine Valley has spoiled me.
With all the maintenance of shared fairways it would seem that the additional cost to maintain the old 12th would have been bearable.

# 10 somehow seems disconnected, architecturally, to many of the other holes, are there any plans to enhance it's continuity ?

Lastly,

What are the short course holes  like, specifically their bunkering and green complexes ?

I liked the current bunkering, it's dramatic, functional and intimidating.

Keep up the great work.

Ryan Heiman

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »
I think Erin Hills is a good course with a brutal walk, especially since it is required to walk, even with a caddy, it would still be tough.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
Mark,

If you'll REREAD the opening post you'll see that I called Bayonne "terrific", not great.

Mark

I can't read your mind Pat.  I had no idea you were talking about Bayonne in a thread you started about Sleepy Hollow.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
Mike,

What courses that you played in the Met area presented more difficult walks than SH ?

Pat,

I don't consider the walk at Sleepy Hollow that tough, so this is kind of like asking me if I "still" beat my wife. None of the Northeast courses I played were a tough walk. The closest to SH would be Essex County.

By the way... I agree with you that Sand Hills is a difficult walk. Much more so than Sleepy Hollow. I was very surprised at the difficulty of walking Sand Hills.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
Mark,

I can't read your mind Pat.  

Mark, you don't have to read my mind, you just have to read my posts.

I had no idea you were talking about Bayonne in a thread you started about Sleepy Hollow.

That's because you didn't read the initial thread carefully, completely and with a high degree of comprehension.

Please look at the last paragraph where I clearly referenced Bayonne.

How could you have missed that ?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:44:54 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
Mike,

Pat,

I don't consider the walk at Sleepy Hollow that tough, so this is kind of like asking me if I "still" beat my wife. None of the Northeast courses I played were a tough walk. The closest to SH would be Essex County.

I never considered Essex County a difficult walk, not close to being in the same league with SH

Hamilton Farms is a difficult walk, and while I haven't played them I've heard that Hudson National and the Ridge at Back Brook are difficult walks.

Ran's review of SH alludes to the difficult topography

By the way... I agree with you that Sand Hills is a difficult walk.
Much more so than Sleepy Hollow. I was very surprised at the difficulty of walking Sand Hills.

I think that may be due to the high tee, low fairway, high green nature of the holes and the soil between the tees and fairways.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
Mike,

Can't speak for the difficulty of the walk at Sleepy Hollow as I have never played it, but how would you compare it to The Bridge in terms of walking, Pat?  The Bridge has some pretty challenging hills to climb.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »
Mike,

Can't speak for the difficulty of the walk at Sleepy Hollow as I have never played it, but how would you compare it to The Bridge in terms of walking, Pat?  The Bridge has some pretty challenging hills to climb.

Jeff, I've never played the Bridge, but I understand from others that it's a very difficult walk.
I should have included it with HN and TRABB

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
Patrick,

Sleepy Hollow from 2 tee to 4 tee is tough, but it is early. 18th hole is a tough walk. Other than that, not sure I see it being a tough walk?

In return for the now best course in Westchester County, SH's walk seems okay to me.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
Patrick,

Sleepy Hollow from 2 tee to 4 tee is tough, but it is early. 18th hole is a tough walk. Other than that, not sure I see it being a tough walk?

In return for the now best course in Westchester County, SH's walk seems okay to me.

Mike,

I wouldn't consider the walt from # 6 tee to # 6 fairway as an easy walk.

The walk down to # 7 green when it's wet is no easy walk either

Pick some dates for MRCC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back