News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Royal Dornoch
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
I must say ... what a design. It could become iconic for Dornoch in the same way that the Sellafield plant is iconic for Seascale :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
I LOVED Royal Dornoch just the way it was in June 2008 when 8 of us were there for five nights.  The clubhouse was homey and friendly, just right. I do hope they don't wander down the wrong road. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2012, 03:46:10 AM »
The August week of the Shield, and the 3-man in May, are the only two times of the YEAR, with the occasional amateur biggie excepted, that the clubhouse is heaving with folks and taxed capacity-wise.

Kris

Having spent much time at both the Shield and the Burgfield over the past 30+ years I can assure you that in my experience the clubhouse has NEVER been "taxed capacity-wise" during those events.  Occasionally "heaving with folks" to be sure, but that is a good and very occasional thing, to be relished rather than remedied.  As to the "occasional amateur biggie" I spent July 28-August 4 in Dornoch, concurrent with the Scottish Amateur Match Play.  There were 256 competitors in the Burgh along with their families and friends and the hordes of SGU officals and their entourages, and the evening before the start of the competition (Sunday July 29) my extended family party of 50 (25 adults, 25 children ranging from age 2-19) had the main dining area entirely to ourselves (even the bar and "Sun Lounge" were not filled).  Friday night (day before the final) the same family group happily filled up the back dining room, leaving the main dining area free for the 15 or so SGU and Club officiials to dine in splendid isolation.

IMHO, the only amateur biggie that interests the powers that be is the Walker Cup, and at least some of them have expresed to me that without a "proper" clubhouse they have no chance.  It's a classic case of both "R&A Worship" and "Nairn envy."  One of the locals confessed to me 6-7 years ago that the main reason then for a new clubhouse was to provide a larger venue for winter activities, due to the fact that the Burghfield House Hotel was no longer there to provide adquate facilities for dinner dances, etc.

The whole concept is ill-conceived and should be cryit doon, IMVHO, of course....

Rich

PS--I generally agree with all of your other comments.

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2012, 04:00:08 AM »
Has anyone ever asked those, whose task it will be to fill the new clubhouse with life, what their opinion is? As far as I understand that would be the folks running the gastronomic operation and the pro shop. Are these going to be the same people as before? Do they have a larger business plan for the larger premises?

Ulrich

Rich Goodale

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2012, 04:43:14 AM »
Ulrich

The current plans show for a vast extension of the dining space and a diminution of bar/casual drinking space.  The current caterer is a very talented person (excellent haute cuisine, plus best eggs benedict, club sandwiches and hamburgers in the whole of Scotland....), and I'm sure he would like a larger and more dedicated dining space.  Whether he can fill that space and how is problematical, given that RDGC is a private club and cannot easily service visitors unless they pay some sort of daily "membership" fee.  The pro shop has just gone through an expensive and seemingly satisfying renovation.  I'm not sure if they need any more space, at least for the short-intermediate term.

Rich

PS-these plans are now very public and visible for anybody who visiits Dornoch (detailed exhibition in the ground floor common area).

rfg
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Rich,

Thanks for your take. You confirm, as a fellow member, what I've experienced there as well during those periods. The place is bustling, but not bursting at the seams. I really hope that sound reasoning prevails this AGM. While I'm not totally against eventually changing the current clubhouse, accepting this present offering as the best we can expect, and the timing, are not prudent given the economic uncertainty and modest needs of the membership using the facility for most of the golfing year. Let's hope more feel like we do and vanity takes a back seat during the voting!

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
One of the reasons for the great liking of the golf club in Dornoch is the trade that it rings to many of the other businesses in the village. Were the club to have a larger clubhouse then the pressure business wise would be to keep the visiting golfer in the club house effectively breaking the ties with the villages.

Jon

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
Rich,

does that mean that non-golfing tourists (or those, who in a week of visiting the Highlands may only play once or twice) would not be allowed to dine at the clubhouse? If that, then I don't see a valid business case for the caterer.

I do remember from my week at Dornoch that - despite playing a few times - I wasn't exactly lured into the clubhouse. Meaning there were no patrons inside and no menu outside or any information about dining hours, bar menu etc. So I indeed frequented the local restaurants or bought some sandwiches at the supermarket. They could have taken more of my money, if they had made a minimal effort, that's for sure :)

Ulrich

PS: slightly off-topic, but the best experience I ever had at a traditional members clubhouse was at Royal Worlington & Newmarket. Theirs is even smaller than Dornoch's, but they went out of their way for me (the only guest that day).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:58:40 PM by Ulrich Mayring »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

I do remember from my week at Dornoch that - despite playing a few times - I wasn't exactly lured into the clubhouse. Meaning there were no patrons inside and no menu outside or any information about dining hours, bar menu etc. So I indeed frequented the local restaurants or bought some sandwiches at the supermarket. They could have taken more of my money, if they had made a minimal effort, that's for sure :)

Ulrich,

You might be right in what you say but it would be a bad move for the club. The club has a lot of good will from the villages but that would change if the club started hoarding all the viistors for themselves. Doing what you are suggesting would cause a lot of grief for the club and Dornoch village.

Jon

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
More often than not in America(USA), those overseeing a golf facility, who are not golfers, error on the side of a clubhouse that is too large.  I have probably seen this 20 times at least.  In today's golf economy it has led to some clubs losing the facility in foreclosure as they are not able to pay back the construction loan.  It sounds good, feels good, and then a few years after it is built, a remodel takes place to redo what was intended to be a banquet type room.
Municipal golf courses are especially guilty of this.  The elected officials point to the banquet facility as making the golf course a more multi use facility for the community.  Hence sweaty golfers enjoy the 19th hole while Daddy's little girl gets married 100 feet away separated by a partition.

Sorry to see this thinking reach the Scottish Highlands.

Can Royal Dornoch build enough back tees to accommodate Walker Cup drives of 350 yards?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mike Leveille

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
It should be an interesting members' meeting later this month, to say the least.  In addition to the clubhouse vote, there is a proposal on the table to remove the first two fairway bunkers on the 3rd hole, grow the rough in on the left side so that the edge of the fairway is at the top of the ridge, and cut the rough on the right hand side of the fairway down to fairway height (leaving a 10 yard strip of semi-rough and a 2 yard strip of thicker rough before getting to the dirt road between the 3rd and 14th holes).  Apparently the proposal is in response to reports of damage from homeowners along the left side of the 3rd hole.  Really wish I could be there to observe what is likely to be a spirited debate on both subjects. 

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
It should be an interesting members' meeting later this month, to say the least.  In addition to the clubhouse vote, there is a proposal on the table to remove the first two fairway bunkers on the 3rd hole, grow the rough in on the left side so that the edge of the fairway is at the top of the ridge, and cut the rough on the right hand side of the fairway down to fairway height (leaving a 10 yard strip of semi-rough and a 2 yard strip of thicker rough before getting to the dirt road between the 3rd and 14th holes).  Apparently the proposal is in response to reports of damage from homeowners along the left side of the 3rd hole.  Really wish I could be there to observe what is likely to be a spirited debate on both subjects. 

Clubhouse fiasco aside, I hope they don't touch the course.  I am perfectly happy just the way it is.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »
Returned home a mere thirty minutes ago from Dornoch, after enjoying a most wonderful weekend as always. Among many other delights, we had a very pleasant dinner last evening with a number of members  ;). I have to say there was some pretty sprited conversation around the dining table on both thorny topics. There's even a photoshopped aerial doing the rounds showing the proposals for the third.....hmmm. It's going to be a FUN meeting - wish I was a member just to be there!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to admit that I'm an idiot.
Having previously pilloried the 7th and 16th holes here, I now freely confess I was talking out of my woolly toorie. They're great golf holes. Of course, I parred both of them yesterday, so maybe I'm presently a little biased. ;D

Dornoch still bewitches and enchants like nowhere else. I'm honestly so sad when we drive away. It must be even more painful for the lucky few  ;) who get to stay there even longer!!!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill Hoyle

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
A great memory from Royal Dornoch and the clubhouse was the statement of the bartender to the American in front of me ordering a few pints while wearing his golf cap.  Bartender: "I would be pleased to serve you sir, if you would abide by the rules of the club." ;D

Dave McCollum

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2012, 03:14:10 AM »
No to the new house.  I’ve been there once in 2007.  I loved everything, including the modest clubhouse.  Why doesn’t RDGC ask the fine links courses of Ireland how they like their big, fancy clubhouses built during the boom of the Celtic Tiger?  I was in Ireland last October during some pretty lousy weather and was struck by how few people were actually using those beautiful structures.   I also had the chance to chat with RDGC members in town at a local pub—Eagle Hotel(?) where I was staying—and found it totally refreshing their pride in their golf club and community.  They openly discussed their annual subs which were comparable to modest rural golf in heartland America.  Let the locals decide what fits their community.  If the traveling affluent golfer wants a better place to hang out, let them build a posh spot off the course. 

James Boon

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »
Latest from the local paper, with a letter from a past Captain of the club:
http://www.northern-times.co.uk/Opinion/Letters/Higher-green-fees-could-prevent-Scots-playing-16082012.htm

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:23 AM »
Latest from the local paper, with a letter from a past Captain of the club:
http://www.northern-times.co.uk/Opinion/Letters/Higher-green-fees-could-prevent-Scots-playing-16082012.htm

Cheers,

James

Listen to Jimmy Simpson.  As a former Moderator of the Church of Scotland he draws insipration from sources higher than oor private needs and/or temporal blether....
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2012, 05:58:02 AM »
Och aye Rich,
Indeed a voice from on high,  a clarion call!

And as The Bard says,

"I'm here a pillar o' thy temple,
Strong as a rock,
A guide, a buckler, and example
To a'  thy flock!"

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back