News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re: Dooks = WOW!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
Mark,

I assume you are not comparing Dooks to woman shotputters!  London looks great on tv BTW, especially the night shots.  Looking so good I'm already making plans for my 2013 visit.  Do I need a reservation for Easter weekend?  :-)
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mark_F

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »
Does this green still exist?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
Does this green still exist?

I think this is #13, the second par 3 on the back.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
Mark,

The image above (hole #13) was created in 2005. To the best of my knowledge the course reopened after Hawtree's renovation in 2006. You can see from this subsequent photo shot in 2010 that the green has been softened.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
Is Mike Shanahan (sp?) still the head greenkeeper at Dooks? If so, I understand why it is looking so good.

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Mark,

The image above (hole #13) was created in 2005. To the best of my knowledge the course reopened after Hawtree's renovation in 2006. You can see from this subsequent photo shot in 2010 that the green has been softened.

Thanks Aidan.  A pity - the original looked like one fun green.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 12:35:49 AM »
Mike I loved the land but the greens were in horrible condition all three times I stopped by over a 4 years period. I am glad the course blew you away. It left me wishing it was in better condition or even playable. It seems I was there pre renovation.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:38:54 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
There’s more about the unusual ‘design’ of Dook’s in last month’s feature interview, which is free ranging about all things Irish in golf.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/ivan-july-2012/

"Formed in 1889, Dooks & Caragh GC is one of the oldest clubs in Ireland but it has one of the newest links. For 100 years the links remained a steadfastly quirky, 9-holes monument to those early days as the members resisted all efforts at modernisation. In 1970, it was finally agreed to expand to an 18-holes circuit. Ignoring convention and good sense, responsibility for designing one new hole was given to each member of a 9-man committee. It could have been a disaster but a surprisingly acceptable result was the outcome. As the Club entered its second century, Martin Hawtree, fresh from his success at Lahinch, was engaged to fine tune the inevitably ‘uneven’ outcome of those laudable ‘homemade’ efforts. Hawtree changed ‘everything’ while managing to provide the feeling that he had hardly laid a hand on the place. Playing at Dooks recently with a 26, 15 and 9-handicapper, we had a thrilling match that ended all even – a tribute to the course and the handicap system. Some of the best courses in the world have a ‘link hole’ to get you from one piece of exciting ground to another. At Dooks, it’s unusually in that the link hole is the 1st but as soon as you walk over the hill to the 2nd tee, the stunning view will make you forget your troubles and concentrate on playing proper golf for the 17 delightful holes ahead. My favourite hole at Dooks is the 16th. I wasn’t surprised to hear that it was originally conceived by the most gifted golfer on the ad hoc committee – Dr. Billy O’Sullivan of Killarney fame. The drive has to fade around a strand of wind-blown trees and stay clear of the tangly scrub before a precisely weighted second shot to a shelf green surrounded by menacing, gorse bushes is undertaken."

Mike I’m surprised to hear 15 and 18 had standing water, but clearly 16 and 17 are on different soil.  Apparently the club has bought a substantial amount of Dunesland beyond the Par 3 that plays to the current boundary.   One day...?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »
Wow is too small a word for those photographs, majestic and awe-inspiring as they are.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ivan Morris

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 04:50:48 PM »
Okay folks, here's the lowdown on Dooks & Caragh GC, which was formed in 1889 and affiliated to the GUI in 1903. For 100 years the links remained a quirky, 9-holes monument to those early days as the members resisted all efforts at modernization. In 1970, an AGM agreed to expand to an 18-holes circuit. Ignoring convention and good sense, responsibility for designing one new hole was given to each member of a 9-man committee. A surprisingly acceptable result was the outcome. As the Club entered its second century, Martin Hawtree was engaged to fine tune the ‘uneven’ outcome of those ‘homemade’ efforts. Hawtree changed ‘everything’ while managing to provide the feeling that he had hardly laid a hand on the place. Some of the best courses have a dullish ‘link hole.’ At Dooks, it’s the 1st but as soon as you walk over the hill to the 2nd tee, the stunning setting will catch all of your attention. By the time you get to the par 3, 4th hole beside the beach you had better be into your A-game. The 368-yards, 7th is arguably the best hole on the course requiring an arrow-straight drive through a gap in the dunes before swales and bunkers have to be avoided to produce a ‘negotiable putt’ on a tilted green. However, my favorite hole is the 16th; conceived by the most gifted golfer on the famous  committee of 9 - Dr. Billy O’Sullivan of Killarney fame. The drive has to fade around a strand of wind-blown trees while staying clear of tangly scrub before a precisely weighted second shot to a shelf green is undertaken. These days, a game at Dooks is just as good as playing at many, far more famous venues. Anybody who says Dooks is a 'dog' is being 'catty.'   

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
I found pictures from 2005.

Ivan Morris

Re: Dooks = WOW!!! New
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »
I was at Dooks today on one of the warmest, sunniest days of what has been an awful Irish summer. The course was in great shape and playing reasonably fast considering all of the rain that fell in Ireland during the past few months. I played like a dog but only got bitten (deservedly) three or four times. There are a few spots you dare not enter but generally the course gives some latitude and the opportunity to recover. I like that! The recovery stroke is very important in my having a fun day. I like Dooks because it forces me to shape my shots into the fairways and greens. There is plenty of variety from green to green; some up, some down, some flat, some (13th) wildly undulating. Martin Hawtree has done a really fine job (his 7th is as good a hole as you would find on any Open rota course). I am not saying that Dooks by itself is worth crossing an ocean to play but if you find yourself in Southwest Ireland - by all means do not miss the opportunity to give it a lash. It flatters and flagellates in equal measure while you walk around a very beautiful piece of property.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:49:23 PM by Ivan Morris »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back