News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Beau Hossler- My New Hero
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »
John,

I would agree, I think its you as well!!   ;)

Tim Martin

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »
John,

I would agree, I think its you as well!!   ;)

Although agreeing with Kalen isn`t currently in vogue I`m with him on this one. 8)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »

I gave up Twitter when the world found it. 

Come on. You joined Twitter when Ran tossed you from GCA.com. You got bored with it and joined BombSquad. They did not "embrace" the Jaka juice and you begged Ran back in!!

Congratulations, you are where you belong. Hanging out with 12 handicaps talking about course strategy for the top players in the world!!  8)

Tim Martin

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »

I gave up Twitter when the world found it. 

Come on. You joined Twitter when Ran tossed you from GCA.com. You got bored with it and joined BombSquad. They did not "embrace" the Jaka juice and you begged Ran back in!!

Congratulations, you are where you belong. Hanging out with 12 handicaps talking about course strategy for the top players in the world!!  8)

;D ;D ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
Jaka was on Bombsquad?! Talk about a hand and a glove.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »

Tiger - No choke, he has never come from behind to win a major. It is a blemish on his resume, but losing on Saturday is just losing.

I didn't realize that if you can only choke trying to do something you have done before.  Who are you people trying to protect here?  Choking is a core part of our human condition.  Even Jesus choked when he saw his friend Lazarus dead and brought him back to life.  He learned from his mistake and took one for the team later when the chips were down.  It's no big deal.

John,

Last night's game with LeBron got me thinking about your argument. Choking is situational. LeBron won his his first championship in part because he did choke in last year's finals. Yes LeBron had never been there before (last year when he choked), but last year was "his time", so he did choke, and now he rectified that last night.

I stick with my argument that Tiger did not choke. He has not won a major for 4 years, and is clearly not the player he was. He just played poorly on Saturday, and then again Sunday.

Same with Beau. It was not "his time" last weekend, so no choke. If the same thing happens in a California Am or similar moving forward, then it is a different story. Part of choking is not living up to expectations and standards. Nobody had any expectations for Beau.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »
Mike,

Everybody chokes but it takes experience to become a choke artist.

I don't believe that you can deny that if Tiger does not beat Jack's record it will be the greatest choke in the history of golf.  His play on Saturday at Olympic was just another brush stroke by the finest choke artist that ever lived.  Look at the total picture he began painting when the record became within his grasp.  The firings, the personal destruction and now finally the poor play.  It's a beautiful thing.

Beau choked away his chance to be low am, a perfectly normal and forgivable thing.  He has a long way to go to become a choke artist.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
It approaches absurdity. Choke .... choke ....choke ad nauseum. All this vehemence about SOMEONE ELSE'S "choke". Makes me wonder how you feel about your own, and why?

" ........... and treat those two old imposters the same" Hmmm, no 'graciousness' here.

How can it possibly be important enough to you to spend actual time debating it? Do you watch 'Access Hollywood' every day too?  ::)

Doug

PS: See Victoria National on TV [or live if you can] next weekend. That could be time well spent.
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
Doug,

I spend a large part of every day fighting off choking on life. The study of why it happens to others is vital to that fight. I am a choke artist extraordinaire.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »
Hehe JK;

But if three players shoot 68-67-68-74, 68-74-68-67, and 74-68-68-67 respectively, the PGA says they all shot 277 and pays them for that. I am just gullible enough to believe the PGA, that they all did the same thing, and that the first man did not 'choke' any more than the others [and therefor deserve less].

My own problem with choking is a money problem. If I had enough, I would eat a fine stilton cheese till I choked [or at least burped loudly].

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
Doug,

I wish life and sports were only about where you finish and not the journey.  It would make things so much more simple for guys like me who are born on third base and think they hit a triple.  

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.
Barry Switzer
US football coach (1937 - ) 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:16:00 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John_Conley

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2012, 12:50:49 AM »
One of the highest cuts I've ever seen on Tour.  148 (+6) advances to Saturday.

Beau Hossler is very impressive again at 71-74.  He is ahead of Jim Furyk, Dustin Johnson, and Justin Leonard by a shot. 

I'm far less critical of him than others on this thread.  If I had a neighbor whose son was 17 and liked golf, I could see going out for a round.  If he shot a stroke or two over par on any local course I'd be impressed.  If he backed it up with four over or something, I don't see blasting him for choking or throwing up on himself.

Beau knows golf.  Keep it up, kid.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
Beau needs a larger stage. At the US Am, he shot 144 to miss the playoff by one stroke.

http://www.denverpost.com/golf/ci_21314383/beau-hossler-unable-advance-at-u-s-amateur

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
Well, he beat Gary Nicklaus who was a pro for 10 years.  Nicklaus held his Tour card for 3 years and lost a playoff (BellShouth) to Phil Mickelson.  Not too shabby for Beau.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back