News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Re: Tom MacWood has passed away
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
I am also sorry to hear of his untimely passing, and like many of the previous posters, I have never met the man.

Did he ever participate in any GCA.com outings? Did he play much golf? Where did he live, and what was his primary occupation? 

I find it intriguing that a man who had such an outsized influence on this site in terms of his posting, essays, and general depth of knowledge, is at least to me, something of a mystery.

Can anyone shed light in regards to these basic facts?

I also want to offer my condolences to his family, obviously he is gone much too soon.

David Kelly

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
With the passing of Tom MacWood the knowledge base of GCA has taken a big hit as he knew more about the history of golf course architecture than 99% of those of us who post here.

My condolences to his family and friends.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »
Like most I never met the man and like many I presumed him older.  There's really nothing constructive to say...just, damn!  Way too young.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
Here is the local newspaper's obituary.  I'll keep looking for more info, and hope someone who may know Tom personally from the Columbus area might add to what we have about Tom's personal life.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatch/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-e-macwood&pid=159177449&fhid=8709#fbLoggedOut  

A we all assume, Tom must have a significant body of research work likely in writing and other media.  Hopefully, such a long if not lifetime of passionate accumulation of research will be placed in a setting to be preserved and carried on.  

Only knowing Tom from his contributions here, I think it is fair to say he was likely meticulous in his catalogue of materials.  Wouldn't be great if somewhere in the future after the family has been able to process and recover from their shocking loss, if some of our other most scholarly GCA contributors might put their minds together and approach the family to see if there is any interest in honoring Tom with some form of a searchable data base, or a location of a library at some golf club in Columbus area, where his work can go on.  I wonder if Dr. Hurdzan can be asked about this potential idea.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
A few years back, I experienced for the first time the announcement and subsequent mourning of a friend online, in a social network. Words were carefully and carelessly tossed around as each person attempted to put into language the shared and unshared feelings of experiences with the deceased, of what he might have done had he been given more time and ultimately, of the immeasurable loss that, like a wave, appears to increase in force and coverage, no matter if it truly does. On and on the posts, pictures and links went, until an deeply-profound portrait of 40 years in the life of a man was painted.

When I saw Ran's announcement yesterday morning, my initial reaction was identical to that of many: complete disbelief, that a Titan could perish, without anticipation. Just as shocked as I was to learn a few years back that JNC is just a kid, so was I to discover that Tom was less than a decade older than I. My next step was to search my 902 messages, hoping to find one or more from Tom; it was not to be. Didn't take a class with Maya Angelou at Wake, didn't exchange messages with Tom...major regrets.

And now, after reading nearly four pages of reactions from my friends (met and unmet) from GCA, I realize that, as some of you have commented, this place does matter. It matters a lot. It matters because we meet each other at golf courses far and near, not having a clue what the other looks like OR really acts like. It matters because we argue and debate and sometimes insult online, but ultimately we remember that we are kindred spirits, mates across time and space, bonded by this game and its playgrounds.

I'm going to the garage right now, to grab a beer and toast Tom MacWood. Then, I'll look for an address to send a card of condolence to Tom's family. And then, I'll come back to this community until my wife yells that I'm ignoring her again, to learn more about golf course architecture.

Hey, George Pazin, how about we restart that thread on who we are? Seems like the right way to meet each other again and to remember great contributors like Tom?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

George Pazin

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
Here is the local newspaper's obituary.  I'll keep looking for more info, and hope someone who may know Tom personally from the Columbus area might add to what we have about Tom's personal life.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatch/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-e-macwood&pid=159177449&fhid=8709#fbLoggedOut  

Thanks very much for the link.

Here is a link to his obituary that includes a tribute wall, should you care to share with his loved ones:

http://www.schoedinger.com/obituaries/Thomas-Macwood/

-----

Ron, if you mean the "Who are you guys?" threads, I will amend this post with a link when I find it. If you are asking me to restart the "Get to know" series, I will message you my thoughts on that.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Gary Daughters

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
This is a good time to remind ourselves that, whatever our differences, we share a common and unusual passion.  My condolences to Tom's family and my heartfelt best wishes and thanks to all who take part in this journey.  Gary
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Matthew Sander

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
What sad news...my thoughts are with his family and friends at this time. Selfishly, I feel the need to thank Ran and GCA for creating such a wonderful place where we all have the opportunity to learn from folks like Tom MacWood.

Take care everyone...

mark chalfant

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about the premature passing of this dedicated student of GCA.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Learned a ton from Tom's contributions. Enjoyed his posts very much.

Mike Sweeney

Eric Smith

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »
Sad news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
I feel punched in the stomach upon learning of the death of a man I never met.  I take that and your posts as an affirmation that this website and its participants matter - more than we care to admit.  

Grace and Peace to Tom's family and friends.  

This sums it up rather well. 

I'll really miss the research and opinions that he shared. 

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »
This is the saddest possible news. Condolences and prayers to Tom's family and wide circle of friends.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Richard Choi

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Wow... a terrible tragedy. He has enlightened many here, including me. He will be missed.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
My heartfelt condolences to the MacWood family. It is they who have lost the most. RIP Tom MacWood

David Stamm

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »
May their family find peace.

Réquiem ætérnam dona ei Dómine; et lux perpétua lúceat ei. Requiéscat in pace. Amen.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
If you haven't read the obit, do so. There is a link to make a donation in Tom's name to the American Heart Association. I did so and used the address of the church and Tom's wife's name, for the card. No flowers.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Keenan

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
Sad news his was taken far too young

My thoughts and prayers are with his family

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
I will miss a dedicated researcher and educator, who's passion shown through in his writing.  Fun to read, and contemplate.   Agree?  Sometimes. But Tom had way more fact than opinion so his tie went to the runner. Tom will be missed, I hope his family knows how much his work was valued by our small community here.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:00:43 AM by Matt MacIver »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
Tom will be greatly missed, his depth of knowledge was unbelievable.  I hope he gets in a round at Fowlpointe on the other side.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »
Would like to give my condolences to the family and know they are in my prayers.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
I'm astounded to learn that Tom's research driven articles were accomplished in his spare time; like others I assumed he was retired and had unlimted time to devote to his passion. It's very sad to have lost such a great contributor at such a young age. My deepest condolences go out to his family.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

noonan

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:11 AM »
Sad news - RIP Tom

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2012, 12:50:35 AM »
Wow, I have been (and still am) out of town and just learned of this (playing some golf which I am sure Tom would approve of).  So sad to hear as a long term person here at GCA, so very sad to see him go.  As with many on here I didnt know him well, but benefited from his knowledge on here just the same.

My condolences and prayers go out to his family.  RIP, and thanks for enriching our lives Tom...

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back