News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Tom MacWood has passed away
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:46 AM »
Very sad news. Tom was a great historian. RIP
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Stephens

« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2012, 03:57:25 AM »
Very sad news to be taken away at 54 - Tom had a lot more to give he went too young - we at GCA will really miss out. Condolences to his family who have lost a husband and a father.

Rest in Peace Tom and enjoy discussing GCA wherever you are.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2012, 07:08:36 AM »
GolfClubAtlas.com went live June, 1999 from Australia. Within a few months, I received an email from Columbus, Ohio. It was my introduction to Tom MacWood. I asked him how he found the site and he said he googled Augusta National Golf Club and that the short profile on it was the only piece on the web with which he agreed. Immediately, I knew a kindred spirit existed. Together with the usual suspects (Tommy, Tom, Pat, and a ~dozen others), the core of GolfClubAtlas.com was formed and it has happily lurched this way and that ever since. Without doubt, giving Tom MacWood a ‘voice’ will forever remain one of GolfClubAtlas.com’s greatest accomplishments.

Fortunately, business took me to Ohio quite a bit during the next decade. Generally, I would drive from Toledo to Cleveland and we found various ways to get together. Sometimes, he might be in Cleveland on business and a duel at one of its great courses might ensue late in the day. If that wasn’t possible, I drove to a steakhouse on a highway somewhere south where we could catch up. His command of facts both on the phone and in person always reinforced the fact that I was in the presence of a colossal intellect. Though he didn’t suffer fools lightly in the Discussion Group, regardless, he was for sure a kind and caring person. I can’t imagine the pain that his family is going through.

Since posting about Tom’s untimely death, phone calls and emails poured in. One of the first calls was from Tommy N. in California earlier yesterday morning after a fitful night, so sorry that he hadn’t spoken to Tom in the past few months. One of the first emails was from Masa in Japan, such was the reach of Tom’s writing.

Here is another example of the effect of his words. Prior to Tom’s releasing his piece on George Crump, there was much consternation and gnashing of the teeth in certain quarters of Philadelphia. Once public, one of the first contacts that Tom received (I think via email) was from John R. Ott, Jr., Mayor of Pine Valley. In it, he congratulated Tom on a well researched piece and extended an invitation to join him for a round at Pine Valley at his convenience. Of course, Major Ott is no longer with us and now neither is Tom.

Though Tom’s research skills may well be unmatched, what I enjoyed most was his ability to draw conclusions from the information that he had gathered. You never knew what you were going to get other than it would NOT be the same bland oatmeal that gets regurgitated in magazines and on television. Rather, it was always fresh, original and highly educational. As I have posted numerous times, his In My Opinion Arts and Crafts piece is my single favorite piece of writing on the site because of the bold and thorough manner in which he tackled a very complicated subject. When together, we would chuckle how some people got caught up in its tiniest X’s and O’s. That never mattered to him (or me). Rather, his various writings always simulated vigorous debate. Personally, it made me re-think matters on numerous levels. For instance, only he pointed out to the world some of the fine design work accomplished in the 1890s to which time has since been so cruel.

Sadly, now two things are certain: His penetrating observations will forever be missed and golf architecture has lost one of its greatest minds and friends.

Below is a link to his obituary.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thisweeknews/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-e-macwood&pid=159177449&fhid=8709

Also here is the funeral home site/guest book.

http://www.schoedinger.com/obituaries/Thomas-Macwood/

BCrosby

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2012, 08:14:59 AM »
Ran -

I would suggest you move your wonderful post to the Sticky Topic file so it doesn't get lost here.

Bob

Ian Andrew

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »
I thought would share a recent fun moment with Tom.

Recently I had asked Tom for help in figuring out the history of a club I was about to interview with on the Jersey shore. Not only did he find me enough evidence to “prove” it was one architect, but he then sent me just as many “facts” to prove it was a second architect. He shared some ideas on why. We ended up talking about the relationship between the two (something I didn't know about) which helped me understand the confusing history. A history the club had no idea of...

I will miss that immense resource.

I will miss Tom.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
Ran,

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Tom's voluminous contributions to GCA.com were an integral part of the value of GCA.com.

Tom's interest, passion and dedication to golf course architecture and GCA.com elevated the content and value of GCA.com.
And we all benefited from Tom's contributions, whether we agreed with him or not.

In reflecting on Tom's participation I regret that he was subjected to some vile, personal attacks over his opinions.

That saddens me almost as much as the news of his death.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »
Ian,

Thanks for sharing that exchange. Having met you recently, I imagine that Tom felt just as fortunate to exchange with you, as you did with him.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Shimony

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »
Tom MacWood's IN MY OPINION pieces were my introduction to golf course architecture.  As a lurker on this site I was drawn to the subject by his historical essays and I have since learned so much because of the lively and educational debates in which he took part.  He will be truly missed.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Greg Clark

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
My heart and prayers go out to his family.  Just tragic.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
Very sorry to hear. Condolences and prayers to his family. Just tragic.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ted Sturges

« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
Thanks to Ran for taking the time to write the above note on Tom MacWood.  Ran, everything you wrote was spot on.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom one time.  We met at a golf event at Lost Dunes and he was paired with my father and me.  After having read his insights on gca.com for months, I was delighted to finally get to meet him.  For me, the internet Tom and the in person Tom definitely rhymed.  He showed up with persimmon woods, a no frills golf bag, no logo on his golf shirt, and a great sense of humor. Playing golf with him was a pleasure.  Discussing golf architecture with him was truly educational.  The best thing about golfclubatlas.com for me has always been that it is a place where I could come and learn.  Thank goodness Tom Macwood took the time to participate in this site, so that countless others had an opportunity to learn more about golf course architecture.  My sincere condolences to his family.  

TS

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
Ran, thank you for your note on Tom.  He will be sorely missed. 

George Pazin

« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »
Thanks Ran, Ian and Ted for sharing those stories, I hope it will prompt others to share more.

I shared one with Ron M yesterday, thought others might find it a little funny, and revealing, both of me and Tom:

I didn't quite join at the beginning of the site, but I was close; I think I joined around April 2000. And the very first thread I posted on was "List your top 5 architectural books" or something like that. I thought, I know all about this, so I chimed in early with something like two Geoff Shackelford books and 2 Doak books and the Donald Ross reprint book, or something like that. Tom M asked me why I left out the Hurdzan book. It was years later before I realized it was a little joke, poking fun at my listing only the latest new books; I didn't even pick up on it when everyone else - Ran, Paul Turner, Tom M and others shared theirs, and they were all the old books like Darwin's, Hunter's, Mackenzie's, and even a few I hadn't heard of. It was the first - and certainly not the last - time I realized how little I knew relative to the stalwarts of the site.

I always found Tom M's wry sense of humor very funny, but I think many missed it. And now we will all miss it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
I had very little to do with Tom, never met him, but he was always prompt, courteous and accurate in replying by e-mail to my occasional requests for assistance in some piece of golf research that probably I should have been able to answer for myself. I shall miss him.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »
I ditto everything that everyone has mentioned. 

However is there someway, or some person maybe speaking at his service who can give me/us some biographical information about his life?  How did he become so knowledgeable and an expert at research?  How did he come to his philosophy about golf?  I am guessing it had something to do with playing the Ohio St. courses?  Any ideas?  Thanks.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Niall C

« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
Lynn

Many thanks for articulating what I've been thinking. I never met Tom but he's one of the few on here that I wondered about his background and where his interest in gca came from. Its very sad news and sad to think he died at what is a relatively young age and with a young family. Maybe someone who knew Tom personally could bring up some of Tom's threads to give a flavour of the man.

Niall

Joe Bausch

« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »
From a "former member" of GCA:

"Death reaps the beauty of the world." Stephen R. Donaldson.

"Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve...
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad." Christina Rosetti.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
I'm so sad for his family and friends.  May God bless them in their time of grief and may they find peace in His love.

Seems so unfair - he had so much to offer.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
Always liked his posts and mentally was with him when it came to clique fits.

For everyone that chose to get in a last dig " we didn't always agree but... "  

Really?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:23:57 PM by Mike McGuire »

John_Conley

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
Fingers crossed Tom gets to design Foulpointe on Madagascar in heaven. 

Gone too soon for sure.  Only 11 holes when he deserved a full 18 with a few emergency ones thrown in.

Dan Moore

« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
Truly sad news.  I always appreciated the depth of Tom's research and tenaciousness with which he questioned conventional thinking.  He will be missed by many and I hope his archives find a suitable home where his love of GCA can live on. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jud_T

« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
I just saw this and was shocked.  I never met the man but was equally impressed with his sense of humor as with his obviously deep passion for and knowledge of GCA.  Just as shockingly, a close cousin of mine had a heart attack a week before Tom at the ripe old age of 34, in apparently perfect health.  Fortunately he survived.  Not sure why the medical establishment now only recommends 2 baby aspirin a day for men over 55 and women over 60 as a preventative.  Something about probabilities and stomach issues.  My sincere sympathy to all who knew Tom.  Gotta go run to the medicine cabinet...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ed Homsey

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »
I was shocked and saddened by the news of Tom's death.  Much too early, and a huge loss for his immediate family, and the family of golf course architecture historians.

Tom and I engaged in heated debate regarding the Travis Society's golf course listing on a few occasions over the past 5 years of so.  I was always impressed, even awed, by the depth and breadth of his knowledge.  Though there were some details that we never agreed upon, the Travis Society owes him a great debt for the information he shared that improved our Travis course listing and strengthened our documentation significantly.  I will remain forever grateful to him for all that he taught me.  The folder filled with informative emails from Tom MacWood occupies a prominent place in Travis Society files, and will remain an important reference in the future.

My deepest sympathy to his family.

Ed Homsey
www.travissociety.com

DMoriarty

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
I am devastated by the news of Tom’s passing and am unable to write anything coherent, comprehensive, or worthy of his memory.

I am heartbroken for his family.  As passionate as Tom was about the history golf course design his true devotion was to his family, and I am so sorry for their loss.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:53:12 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
How sad Tom MacWood has gone.

My most lasting memory of him will be his excellent IMO Article “The Early Architects: Beyond Old Tom”.
Through this article many of the courses I had played in Scotland became far richer thanks to his respect for the past and love of historical research.

RIP Tom.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back