News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Morgan Clawson

Want to play White Bear Yacht Club?
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
I have a couple of spots open in a GCA foursome at White Bear Yacht Club.

It's Monday, August 20th at 8am.

The course is in great shape and it's truly one of the coolest Ross's anywhere.

Send me a message if you'd like to play.

Tom Ferrell

Re: Want to play White Bear Yacht Club?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
Morgan,

Great offer.  I'm going to be in Mpls for one day in September.  IF I had the choice...White Bear? Interlachen?  Hazeltine?  Something I don't know about?

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
Tom,

Interlachen and White Bear are both wonderful courses routed over great rolling terrain. Interlachen has a more manicured look to it and has a great history of pro and am events. It is a longer course and a little more difficult in my book.

White Bear has a more rugged and natural feel to it. Some of White Bear's holes and green sites are quite unique; you'll probably see some things you may never have seen.

Hazeltine has been built and remodeled to host major pro events, it's big and difficult. There's certainly not as much interesting nuance here as there is at Interlachen and White Bear.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
Morgan,

Great offer.  I'm going to be in Mpls for one day in September.  IF I had the choice...White Bear? Interlachen?  Hazeltine?  Something I don't know about?

Other options are

Minnikahda
Golden Valley (tilly)
Minneapolis (Watson)
North Oaks (Thompson)
Wood hill (Ross)
Oak ridge
Somerset or Minnesota Valley (raynor)
Wind song (fought)
Stone ridge (weed)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
As a matter of golf architecture interest, given the scheduled remodeling of the old classic Keller course to close for two years, what do the Twin Cities guys think of that as a recommendation to Tom?  I know I loved it, and the historical and design aspects were fascinating to me.

https://parks.co.ramsey.mn.us/golf/Pages/Keller-Golf-Course.aspx

There are good archived stories on Keller and a great pictorial in the archives on White Bear that Jay Flemma did a few years ago.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41173.0.html
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
Thank you to all.  My trip will be a quick one - I am the "arm candy" for my GF's law firm's retreat.  I am hoping to squeeze a round in Mpls before going up to Grand View Lodge, where I am being "drafted" into a game (looks like the resort has three Palmer-Seay courses) with the senior partners, though truth be told I'd rather do the fishing excursion.  The things you do for love!  Never been to the Brainerd Lakes area - I am really looking forward to it. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
Tom -

There are 3 9s at Grand View Lodge's The Pines course. They were designed by Joel Goldstrand who built a lot of courses across the state.

My guess is that you will be playing The Pines as it is right across the street from Grand View Lodge. It's a nice course, but relies too much on water hazards for my taste.

There are a couple of other courses that are affiliated with Grand View:  The Preserve and Deacon's Lodge.

Deacon's Lodge was designed by Palmer (Deacon was Arnie's dad's name.) This is my favorite course in the Brainerd Lakes area. It's more playable than a lot of the "carved from the woods" courses, because it offers quite a bit of width and different options. There's some great quirk on a few holes. It's a beautiful and peaceful round of golf.

The Preserve was built on a great piece of land, but unfortunately the design doesn't get as much out of the topography as it should.  It was designed by Mike Morley & Dan Helbling, who I have never heard of. Still, it's a beautiful and fun course for the most part.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
Morgan,

Mike Morley was a PGA Tour pro from Minnesota, roughly a contemporary of Joel Goldstrand. He and Halldorson also designed Golden Eagle in 50 Lakes, Minn.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
The Preserve was built on a great piece of land, but unfortunately the design doesn't get as much out of the topography as it should.  It was designed by Mike Morley & Dan Helbling, who I have never heard of. Still, it's a beautiful and fun course for the most part.

I am starting to think of the Preserve as my favorite of the three courses.  All are very enjoyable Tom but check the forecast carefully.  Temperatures could range from 40-90F.  Most likely it will be beautiful.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:37:10 PM »
Morgan,

Other options are

Minnikahda
Golden Valley (tilly)
Minneapolis (Watson)
North Oaks (Thompson)
Wood hill (Ross)
Oak ridge
Somerset or Minnesota Valley (raynor)
Wind song (fought)
Stone ridge (weed)

I'd add Spring Hill (Fazio) to the list.   Not a old-school course, but truly has a "wow" factor.    First comment from everyone who has played it is "I cant believe we are still in minnesota)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
I'd add Spring Hill (Fazio) to the list.   Not a old-school course, but truly has a "wow" factor.    First comment from everyone who has played it is "I cant believe we are still in minnesota)

Why do they say that?

As far as the list goes:

I've never played Spring Hill or Minneapolis, but the others on that list are all fine courses. I really like Oak Ridge, Minikahda, Golden Valley. I've butchered Somerset every time I've played it -- my fault, not the course's. (It's got a cool Redan.) Haven't played Woodhill since college (too many years ago). Haven't played North Oaks since Tom Lehman's renovation, but have heard nothing but praise for his work there and more recently at Edina CC.

The most distinctive/unusual? White Bear Yacht Club. I'm not sure I'd want it to be my everyday course, but it's completely memorable. Given one course and a one-day visit, and the company being immaterial, I'd go to White Bear.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Neil Davis

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Looks like St. Paul Town & Country Club is our little secret.  I'm fine with that.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »
Looks like St. Paul Town & Country Club is our little secret.  I'm fine with that.

Oops. Forgot T & C!

You want distinctive/unusual?

In that particular race, WBYC and T&C run neck-and-neck.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

Oops. Forgot T & C!

You want distinctive/unusual?

In that particular race, WBYC and T&C run neck-and-neck.

That makes sense, since it was members of T&C who started WBYC as their summer course. They didn't know what flat and normal was.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

Spring Hill is a cool experience in a manner similar to Shadow Creek in Las Vegas - understated clubhouse, top notch caddies and not much play on the course.  In my opinion the course is not nearly that good due to the severity of the land and the small amount of area into which the holes on the North side of the road are squeezed.  September is a terrific time to play there.  The views of the changing colors are terrific.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »
I think if I have one day and get one shot, I'm picking White Bear Yacht Club.

I think it is the most fun golf course in the Twin Cities. Actually I know it is the most fun golf course in the Twin Cities.

There are certainly other good options, but WBYC is less like things you can see other places.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
I think if I have one day and get one shot, I'm picking White Bear Yacht Club.

I think it is the most fun golf course in the Twin Cities. Actually I know it is the most fun golf course in the Twin Cities.

There are certainly other good options, but WBYC is less like things you can see other places.

Agreed Jeff.  That would be the pick for me. 

Shane Wright

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
Tom,

There is plenty of support here from the board that WBYC would be the pick given one round in the Twin Cities.  I have not played Interlachen but have walked it and it is a really good golf course with so much history.  Hazeltine is a better golf course than it gets credit for.  But WBYC is special.  I knew it was the first time I played it.  But then I read Schefchik's WBYC chapter from the newly released "From Fields to Fairways" and it made it that much more special in my mind.  The course has changed very little since it was originally built.   I think this is pretty amazing given the quality of the course now.  16 of the 18 holes will probably be unique to anything you have seen.  It is a beautiful walk and a round you never want to end. 

Shane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back