News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

In much of the USA, we've experienced another very hot summer, and much of the country has been abnormally dry.  I was discussing with our head greenkeeper yesterday.  He's been in the industry for decades, and I wanted to hear his take.

He thinks that today's weather has changed during his career.  I mentioned how I've seen much more bermuda grass in the rough at our course in Elverson, PA.  Obviously, the bermuda grass wasn't planted - it took advantage of the heat which killed off some of the (not irrigated) rough grasses - bluegrass and fescue.

He then mentioned that his colleagues that work on athletic fields have started planting warm weather grasses and overseeding with rye during times that the warm weather grasses go dormant.

Assuming the transition zone is actually moving north, how will GCA be affected?  Bermuda rough at Merion?  Will bentgrass greens need to be reseeded with a warm weather variant in 2025?    Should a new course be seeded with warmer weather grasses?

archie_struthers

??? ;D ???

Interesting and possibly true. More than a few clubs here in the Mid Atlantic are using hybrid Bermuda on our practice areas with great success. It's tougher and germinates faster, helping keep turf on the range where it used to be nothing but divots.

Don't know if the weather is the reason or just the continued knowledge our supers have been assimilating over the years. Eb Steiniger  did some similar experimenting with zoysia back in the late 60's and early 70's ......he was quite a tinkerer!

RJ_Daley

I'd be interested to see how far north Zoysia new varieties that can be seeded rather than springs or sod can survive.

Dan, if the climate change is on the upside, maybe you'll have that bermuda turf in PA!  But, who really wants bermuda grass if they can help it?  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Bourgeois

I don't know specifically about grasses but the transition zone for plants already has moved. The USDA announced last year or two years ago a move northward in plant hardiness zones. On the bright side, here in DC we're clear to plant camellias. Small consolation for the prospect of getting an annual whack from one of those super derechos. >:(

Dan Herrmann

RF - trust me, I don't want bermuda, but it's certainly popping up in the rough at my home course at 40.1567° N.   

I think the bigger factor will be the choice of grasses up here north of the Mason-Dixon line.  For example, with the conditions the last few years, our crew takes moisture measurements on multiple spots on every green several times each afternoon.  That data tells them if the bent grass greens need syringing. 

In other words, are the areas that can use bent safely moving north?

Brent Hutto

I can imagine the safety zone for Bent greens moving north as the climate changes but an even stronger factor is the emergence of new Bermuda hybrids that are so nice to putt on...that will move the "bent line" north no matter what happens with temperature and rainfall patterns.

Mark Bourgeois

Brent, there's a larger point your post encapsulates: never underestimate the power of human creativity. One reason camellias are good to go in the Mid-Atlantic is GM strains bred for more northern climes.

Whoever creates a transition grass that ticks the playability and maintenance boxes and out-competes inferior strains is going to make a pretty penny. I imagine lots are working on it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:29:03 AM by Mark Bourgeois »

Ronald Montesano

Thanks to your question, post #7.

I believe that Zoysia grass, if it selects a hybrid Bermuda at the national turf convention, should be elected our next national turf over bent, no matter the running mate bent selects. Bent has ruled the northeast for far too long and should, much like the PRI in Mexico, take a break.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick_Mucci

Ron,

Zoysia ?   Shirley you jest.

RJ,

I first encountered Zoysia at Bellerive about 30 years ago.
What iconic courses with heavy traffic have adopted it ?

Randy Thompson

Patrick,
Can´t answer your question directly but I can tell you its being strongly considered for the Olympic course in Rio.

Ben Sims

Re: Is the transition zone moving, and if so, what does it mean for golf?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Patrick,

I don't know about traffic, but the iconic part is certainly true.  Peachtree has zoysia. 

Mark,

God bless you.  It made my Saturday morning that a guy with the last name Bourgeois made such a convincing capitalist argument as, "Whoever creates a transition grass that ticks the playability and maintenance boxes and out-competes inferior strains is going to make a pretty penny."

In all seriousness, you're exactly right.  But conversely from most, my opinion is not that we will continue to push C4 grasses northward.  Rather, I think huge strides will be made in the next couple of decades in pushing C3 grasses southward.  With one huge caveat; not greens.  I am waiting for drought resistant bluegrasses to make a jump southward while using these new fantastic hybrid bermudas on the greens. 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
Ben,
I have recently used thermal bluegrass in a mix with various fescues in a warm climate enviroment and Texas bluegrass mixed with fescues in a transition climate!Both are suppose to have more drought resistance. Both courses are scheduled to open around November first our late spring. Two fairways with the thermal mix already passed one summer and was pretty impressive.

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »
Ben,
I have recently used thermal bluegrass in a mix with various fescues in a warm climate enviroment and Texas bluegrass mixed with fescues in a transition climate!Both are suppose to have more drought resistance. Both courses are scheduled to open around November first our late spring. Two fairways with the thermal mix already passed one summer and was pretty impressive.

Randy,

That sounds very cool.  I would like very much if you could provide some additional background on the projects and the decisions to go to a C3 grass in a warm clime.  I'll PM you with an email address.

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
Ron,

Zoysia ?   Shirley you jest.

RJ,

I first encountered Zoysia at Bellerive about 30 years ago.
What iconic courses with heavy traffic have adopted it ?

Pat,

Whether or not you consider it iconic or not, Atlanta Athletic Club (Highlands) has Zoysia tees and fairways.  Apparently, they thought it was worth the effort and expense to convert ahead of last years PGA Championship.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
Years ago a USGA official made a statement to the effect that if grasses were drugs the FDA wouldn't let alot of them out of the lab.

Many are anxious to embrace the newest strain, but will that strain hold up ?

What few consider is the long term effect that the elements have on grasses once they're out of the lab.
Sunlight, rain, foot traffic, chemicals, carts, machinery, etc., etc., all affect grasses and their sustainability.

How many grasses fell out of favor once they were subjected to time and the elements in the field ?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
Thanks to your question, post #7.

I believe that Zoysia grass, if it selects a hybrid Bermuda at the national turf convention, should be elected our next national turf over bent, no matter the running mate bent selects. Bent has ruled the northeast for far too long and should, much like the PRI in Mexico, take a break.

The PRI is back

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »
For what it's worth, I spent time looking at where the bermuda has taken hold at our course at 40.1567° N (zip code 19520).   It seems to be showing up in areas in the rough that were subject to damage from last year's drought and extreme heat and this year's high nighttime temperatures.  We don't have any irrigation in the rough, which is primarily native fescue and bluegrass. 

I can tell you that it's a royal PITA to hit out of :)

Jason Hines

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
I played at a course this morning in south central Missouri that seemed to have a battle going on in the fairway between bermuda and zoysia.  And it appears that the bermuda was winning.  Don’t know if it was the climate zone shifting north, or maintenance practices.  However, every course in the central U.S. is taking a beating this summer.  At my home course in KC, the zoysia is hanging in there wonderfully, it also came out of the prior two winters very well after near record snow falls each year.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:50:50 PM by Jason Hines »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
Jason,

It's my understanding that Zoysia is a slower growing grass.

JMEvensky

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »

I can tell you that it's a royal PITA to hit out of :)

We Southerners have always known this. If the USGA was really interested in protecting par,they should forget about 4" or 5" bluegrass rough and hold an Open down here.Just 2" of wet bermuda rough would have PGAT pros crying.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back