News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Re: Golf Magazine 2012 Top 100 You Can Play
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Dormie #96....really?
Mr Hurricane

Jason Thurman

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
Jud, my only point is that $200+ for truly elite public golf is really very fair. There are a lot of golf courses I will never be able to play because I don't have the connections or the money to join. Even the most expensive public course is far cheaper to play when you factor in total costs than most private courses, though you'll admittedly often find more value in the private club.

Let's be honest, a lot more people can afford to play Pebble Beach for $495 than can afford to play Cypress Point, Sand Hills, or Pine Valley, and they keep the tee sheet relatively full at that rate. I don't know why people complain that they don't charge the same as the local muni. That's like complaining that Prime filet mignon is more expensive than a Philly Cheesesteak Hot Pocket.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »
I get Jason's point, begrudgingly. If we must differentiate 'twixt public and private, there should be a gold standard for each. The public mecca should be priced accordingly (and it ain't prayer that will get you in.)

I had the great fortune to play Kinloch in Richmond, VA. As difficult as it was to get on, it would be that much harder to get on Augusta. I don't need to get on Augusta now; I know what it must be like. The same goes for highest-end publics. You can find something comparable, envision it amped and ramped up, and that's Whistling or Pebble or the other costly ones. It's not settling in the slightest.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »
Jason,

I get your point and I don't disagree.  It's a free market.  If the tee sheet at Whistling Straights is filled all season at $360 + caddie then more power to them.  Hell if they can sell out at $1000 a round then so be it.  IMO only 3 out of 4 Bandon courses and Pinehurst #2 are worth it and are the only ones I'll be ponying up more than once for.  Once you get significantly north of $100 a round in this economy you'd better offer more than green grass, bag valets, a couple of tournaments and a highlighted Golf Digest list on the pro shop wall as far as I'm concerned.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
What's the average greens fee of the top 10?

I know it's tough to calculate, since several of them also require staying on site, but I'm curious.

WW

These polls really are not about which course someone would rather play. Interesting though GD's list about most fun courses was criticized  by many when they tried to answer your question.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
Trump must be padding their advertising dollars to get his course in Cali rated that high. I have yet to hear a single person say they wanted to play it a second time after the first. Rustic Canyon, even without the ocean views would kill Trump's course in a survey of Cali public golfers.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

astavrides

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
Rustic Canyon, even without the ocean views would kill Trump's course in a survey of Cali public golfers.

on this website, yes.   Among socal golfers, only if you factor in price.  Among socal golfers, Moorpark CC or even Tijera Rejada might give Rustic a run for it's money.  Of course, Dogs Playing Poker might give Impressionism a run for the Monet among the general public.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
I think it's worth noting that Pinehurst #2 has jumped 4 spots since the last ranking to 3rd.  I think the first of the rankings to reflect the C&C work.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 08:18:06 AM »
In the lesson section on how to bias a question.... Would you like your course browned out? (paraphrase)

Sheesh!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:11 AM »
In the lesson section on how to bias a question.... Would you like your course browned out? (paraphrase)

Sheesh!

good point.  wonder what the response would be if you asked "would you prefer your course to play firm & fast to bring out the intentions of the original design as well as shotmaking variety and ground game options regardless of color?"
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
Hmmm...I am always puzzled by the Reynolds Plantation courses get so highly ranked.  I think they are okay, but WAY overpriced.  I know price isn't evaluated in this list, but still I don't think the ones I've played at Top 100 material.

I agree with Jim Colton that the best of State list is a move in the right direction, but the GA list is not good IMO. 

Rather than go through and say this one is too high, this one too low.  This should be on the GA list, this should not.  I'll post my favorite 25 public courses and that stuff can be derived.  And, as always, this is per my taste...I trust yours is, at least a bit, different.

For what it is worth, he is my Top 25 favorite public courses that I'v played...

1..Old MacDonald
2..Pinehurst #2
3..Kiawah Ocean
4..Bandon Dunes
5..Pasatiempo
6..Pacific Dunes
7..Dormie
8..Harbour Town
9..Sea Island-Seaside
10..Shadow Creek
11..Cuscowilla
12..Pine Needles.
13..Bandon Trails
14..Arrowhead Pointe
15..TPC Sawgrass
16..Paiute Wolf
17..Pinehurst #4
18..Mid-Pines
19..Achasta
20..Doral Blue
21..Cascata
22..Long Shadow
23..Pinehurst #8
24..WW Pine Barrens
25..Sea Island--Plantation
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Richard Choi

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
I am guessing all Golf Magazine raters were comped, so price does not play a factor in most of these courses.

I would also venture a guess that whoever rolled out the nicest red carpet also got some boost in the ratings. Who knows, Reynolds staff really knows how to treat raters...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:39:59 AM by Richard Choi »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:18 PM »
No details on ranking criteria. I am guessing it is the same as the other lists.

The reader survey section is pretty interesting, though this is pretty disheartening for most of us here...

Q: Would you favor firmm, browned-out conditions at your public course if it led to lower greens fees?

A: 28% Yes, 72% No

Poorly worded question.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »
I guess it needs to be said again to echo Brent's comment.

Where the hell is Wine Valley and how in the world does it get left off this list?

The CDA Resort is on this list?  Wow just baffling....especially in light of no Wine Valley.

If I had 10 rounds to play between the two, it would look like this:  WV 10 - CDA 0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:30:55 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ross Harmon

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
Did Donald Trump design L.A. National?  The list says so.

Pete and Perry Dye were the original architects, then Trump tricked up the place after he purchased it. Interestingly enough, they recently updated their website to say a "Pete Dye and Donald J. Trump Signature Design" - never thought Trump would put ANYONE's name ahead of his! They also started selling Pete's Bury Me in a Pot Bunker in the pro shop.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
Dormie #96....really?

Really as in too high or too low?

George Freeman

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
Great to see Greywalls make the list.  It appears to be too far down, but it deserves a spot nonetheless.

What about Lawsonia??  French Lick - Ross??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Colton

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Dormie #96....really?

Ross,

I think #96th public would put it somewhere around 400-450th overall in the U.S. I haven't played Dormie Club, but most that I know who have would put it much higher than that.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
Hmmm...I am always puzzled by the Reynolds Plantation courses get so highly ranked.  I think they are okay, but WAY overpriced.  I know price isn't evaluated in this list, but still I don't think the ones I've played at Top 100 material.

I agree with Jim Colton that the best of State list is a move in the right direction, but the GA list is not good IMO. 

Rather than go through and say this one is too high, this one too low.  This should be on the GA list, this should not.  I'll post my favorite 25 public courses and that stuff can be derived.  And, as always, this is per my taste...I trust yours is, at least a bit, different.

For what it is worth, he is my Top 25 favorite public courses that I'v played...

1..Old MacDonald
2..Pinehurst #2
3..Kiawah Ocean
4..Bandon Dunes
5..Pasatiempo
6..Pacific Dunes
7..Dormie
8..Harbour Town
9..Sea Island-Seaside
10..Shadow Creek
11..Cuscowilla
12..Pine Needles.
13..Bandon Trails
14..Arrowhead Pointe
15..TPC Sawgrass
16..Paiute Wolf
17..Pinehurst #4
18..Mid-Pines
19..Achasta
20..Doral Blue
21..Cascata
22..Long Shadow
23..Pinehurst #8
24..WW Pine Barrens
25..Sea Island--Plantation

It looks like you haven't played Pebble, Spyglass or Spanish Bay. If price was holding you back, have I gotta deal for you:

http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/del-monte-golf-course/membership

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

astavrides

Re: Golf Magazine 2012 Top 100 You Can Play New
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:56:48 PM by astavrides »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
It looks like you haven't played Pebble, Spyglass or Spanish Bay. If price was holding you back, have I gotta deal for you:

doesn't help for pebble and only helps for the other 2 if you play them more than once a year.

not true, they have specials for Pebble from time to time throughout the year and you get guest passes for Spyglass and Spanish Bay so if you play just once in a foursome you pay for the card twice over.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:46 PM »
Dormie #96....really?

Ross,

I think #96th public would put it somewhere around 400-450th overall in the U.S. I haven't played Dormie Club, but most that I know who have would put it much higher than that.

I have Dormie just behind Chambers Bay and Bandon Dunes and just ahead of Whistling Straits and Spyglass Hill on my list just including publics. I'm guessing that puts it around #10 public for me. #96 is way too low.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
Too bad the magazine lacks the courage of its conviction to deliver the real "Top 100 courses you can play." Were the list compliled as such, tons of these domestic (advert-paying?) courses would be shoved aside.

As others have noted, cost cannot be the reason for grading on such a generous curve.

Lest anyone think I am joking, on the East Coast I imagine GB&I does not come out that far behind the West Coast for those with the means to fly, stay and play at Pebble.

astavrides

Re: Golf Magazine 2012 Top 100 You Can Play New
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:56:32 PM by astavrides »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »

doesn't help for pebble and only helps for the other 2 if you play them more than once a year.

not true, they have specials for Pebble from time to time throughout the year and you get guest passes for Spyglass and Spanish Bay so if you play just once in a foursome you pay for the card twice over.

oh.  good point.  i didn't read the fine print.
what kind of specials do they run for pebble? is it like half off sometimes or is it more like free cart during aeration? ;-)

Usually $375 with a cart for Pebble in off peak times of the year, and they did offer an aeration special for $275. ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back