News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: the future of the PGA Championship???
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
The problem with Olympic Golf is potentially the same problem with Olympic Basketball.  Watching Lebron and Kobe get misty-eyed over a Gold Medal and pretending there's some impulse-buy legitimacy to a bunch of spoiled NBA stars slumming it for national pride.  Although I kind of like the idea of a Tiger/Phil vs. Rory/McDowell match for the gold.  Oh, I forgot, it's not gonna be match play.  If this were the crown jewel of Amateur Golf it would be a hell of a lot more interesting for real golf fans, even if it wouldn't sell as much Bud Light.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
I'd be willing to bet heavily that the IOC wouldn't agree to that.

Howard and Carl,

Bandon without the weather is like Pamela Anderson without breasts.  

Are you saying Bandon is not natural?

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
What exactly is the PGA doing wrong?

Well it obviously struggles being the last of 4 majors as well as a lack of identity as you mentioned.  However I think the big thing (for me) is that the courses are typically underwhelming, this year being an exception.

Future PGA sites:

Oak Hill
Valhalla
Whistling Straights
Baltusrol
Quail Hollow
Bellerive

Hard to get too excited about any of those, except maybe WS...

Quail Hollow was a horrible pick, IMO, and one I don't understand. The rest are all pretty big time sites, and have all hosted majors beforehand.

Other than maybe its trips to St. Andrews, the British Open has to have the most boring rotation of sites from a major championship viewing standpoint.
H.P.S.

David Whitmer

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
I don't see anything happening to the PGA Championship or its stature. Its future is bright as one of the four majors, and I don't believe it will ever change.

Yes, golf is expanding to the pacific portion of Asia and other parts of the world. I just don't see that as a reason to move a major there. You're talking about an event that has tremendous history and has enjoyed major status for most of our entire lives. That isn't something that can be turned off, especially because major status is not given and taken away by anybody or any entity. As someone said, it's a measuring stick for all golfers who have played in the last 80 or so years.

Current players recognize it as a major. Did you see how Rory reacted as he walked off the 18th green at Kiawah? That was the reaction of a guy who just won his second major. He didn't act like that when he won the Honda Classic.

Newer events, "world" events, and the like can attract all the big players and offer huge purses, but they will never supplant the PGA as a major. Just look at The Players. For 30 years people have said it would be the 5th major. It offers a huge purse. Yet it has not become a major, and I don't believe it ever will.

Players recognize four majors, the public and media recognize four majors, and if you want to compare your record to the best you compare your record in the four majors to everyone else's record in the four majors. That is so ingrained as the way it is, I don't see it changing.

And for the record, as I said in another thread, I like the PGA and the courses it goes to (not all courses, obviously...I don't like all US Open courses either). What's wrong with Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, Baltusrol, Southern Hills, or Medinah? What's wrong with Kiawah Island, Hazeltine, or even Valhalla? Yes, Valhalla isn't the best course in the world, but if the PGA can go there and produce one of the most exciting events ever (2000), and everyone can recognize that a major was played there, then that championship is healthy and going nowhere.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
You will never get the American Club Pros to travel !

Come on Brian - those days are over. With a few embarrassing exceptions (Kenny Perry and Lawrie this year not going to Olympic)

I was talking about those American Club Pros that could not break 90 at Kiawah.

Have we forgot how we are going to fit them into a major that travels about the World ?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »
Other than maybe its trips to St. Andrews, the British Open has to have the most boring rotation of sites from a major championship viewing standpoint.
I'm worried that you might actually be serious.  But that would be too absurd.  So I'm worried that I'm not getting the joke.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
I'm worried that you might actually be serious.  But that would be too absurd.  So I'm worried that I'm not getting the joke.

Mark,

I said that from a major championship viewing perspective, meaning the actual act of watching a major, the British Open is pretty boring compared to the others when not played at St. Andrews, Turnberry, or Muirfield. They are all great golf courses, but too many of them are interchangeable from a viewing standpoint (particularly the English hosts). The golf itself is great, but the British Open relies less on it's host site for excitement than other majors.

Just my opinion.  :)
H.P.S.

David Bartman

Re: the future of the PGA Championship??? New
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »

Howard and Carl,

Bandon without the weather is like Pamela Anderson without breasts.  
[/quote]

Her Breasts are all she has left!! without them all you have left is Hepatitis and huge love cave ... yuck

As to Olympic golf, I think it should be a completely new and different format. 

I suggest having each country have a foursome, and play together with the best 3 of the 4 balls counting on each hole for a team score.  Imagine the fun and cheering that would be had , just among the players on each countries team?  The Olympics should have a unique format for Golf, otherwise its just another tourney with a weak field due to limited participants from larger countries in favor to letting ones in from smaller countries.  I'm looking into a Maldives citizenship FWIW. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:02:12 PM by David Bartman »
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back