News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

New Kiawah book - Kiawah Golf
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »
Anyone else bought the new Kiawah book by fellow GCAer, Mr. JB Zuckerman? I got mine earlier this week and am now anxiously awaiting the PGA Championship to view this magnificent course in HD. Joel's book is beautiful, small enough to carry around with you yet chock full of big gorgeous photography by Larry Lambrecht among others. I'd suggest adding it to your GCA collection before the PGA.

One thing I read in the forward by Mr. Dye was that the 91 Ryder Cup was originally slated for PGA West. I guess I had forgotten that. I ventured over to Kiawah just a few months after that Ryder Cup and was literally blown away by the golf. Ocean has remained at or very near the top of my favorites list for 20 years. I need to get back there someday soon.

Here's a link to Joel's website where if you purchase the book before the PGA you'll get a free bowl of soup pair of Tifosi sunglasses. (At least that's the deal I got!)

http://www.vagabondgolfer.com/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:04:16 AM by Eric Smith »

Matt Kardash

Re: New Kiawah book - Kiawah Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
The 11th green now has a deep chipping left of the green. That's a really beautiful photo!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for bring this up as I have been looking for to the book's release. 

Mark

Ross Harmon

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
Heard mine just arrived! Look forward to reading tomorrow!

Matt Kardash

the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »
We're one week away from the first official practice round.  Media center opens this Wednesday!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
We're one week away from the first official practice round.  Media center opens this Wednesday!

Good luck Mike, things were fantastic out there a couple weeks ago when I saw you!!  I am so excited to see Kiawah on the TV broadcast in HD.  Gonna sit down and watch my 1991 Ryder Cup DVD I bought in the clubhouse probably this week sometime.   Unfortunately if I come down in person now it is only going to be for a one day in and out visit.  Due to some drama going on between all the girls here in my house (not involving me believe it or not) and the fact that my daughter is leaving for college on that Sunday, I had to tell my buddy that I would not be using his house on Kiawah for the week like I had originally planned.

Oh well, hopefully I can make it down for one day, and enjoy the others in 65" of HD splendor in the air conditioned comfort of my man cave...

Good luck, and enjoy your couple weeks in the spotlight!!!!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »
Just out there giving a tour to our sales staff and watched Adam Scott hitting balls on the range (in a thunderstorm). 

BigEdSC

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
I was a volunteer out there during the 1991 Ryder Cup.  I worked out a the driving range.  Had a bunch of friends of mine working in various other committees.  We had a great experience out there, and have a lot of stories from it.

I'm working as a walking scorer there in a couple of weeks.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »
Congrats, Joel! Looks like a great book. Can't wait to get one.

http://www.vagabondgolfer.com/kiawah_the_games_elegant_island_book_joel_zuckerman.htm

And, hopefully you'll be at TOC in the tournament's merchandise tent signing books -- lots of them.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
Please Join me in wishing Eric a happy birthday?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
Happy Birthday Eric! 

Hope you have a great day. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
Please Join me in wishing Eric a happy birthday?

Only a week away! ;D

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
Hope you have a great week as well! 

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »
Hope you have a great week as well! 

Thank you Marcus! It begins with an evening at India Palace scarfing down a chicken curry and a large bottle of Taj Mahal. Make that two bottles.

On topic - get Joel's book!!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
Thanks, I am planning to meet Joel at the PGA and buy a copy, you know save on those shipping costs!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Any GCA'ers venturing into our beloved SC for the PGA have some extra time earlier in the week I would be happy to check my schedule to see if we might get out for a round in the upstate (depending on what direction you are coming in from) at Musgrove Mill.

Let me know.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Shane Wright

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
Joel, congrats on another book release!  And way to team up with Lawrence Lambrecht.  His photography is stunning and although I haven't read your new book yet, I have no doubt your writing and his photography will be a great combination.  I think this topic at least deserves a side story on how you were able to get this released right before the PGA Championship  :)  Well done!  I'm sure the many contributors here who have had book releases can understand the difficulty and logistics it took to get the timing just right.

All the best

Shane

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matt MacIver

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
Good luck to Joel, I'll be there Friday and look forward to picking up a copy. 

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
Amazing its taken me almost 2 weeks to chime in on a thread about my own book...talk about apathy!

Matt--Email or PM me if you want to meet at the venue and I will bring you a copy..meeting up with Mark Pritchett as well.

I will be appearing at the Sports Illustrated Pavillion (SI at The Majors) in Freshfields Village on Friday at 2 PM, and then probably again Saturday in the late afternoon.  Also appearing live on Golf Channel from TOC driving range on "Morning Drive" Saturday at 7:45 AM...just let me know if you want to get together, and thanks!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »
Saw the Morning Drive interview with Joel on the Golf Channel this morning.  Good stuff! 

I am eager to read about the role Hurrican Hugo played in the course development.  I agree the stewardship of Kiawah has been pretty close to ideal. 

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
Mark,
I saw Joel on The Morning Drive as well. He was good. Now if he gets Holly Sonders to come to a thaw out, I may look into flights!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back