News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

14th hole - Kiawah - Ocean course
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
I love this hole so much. I think I love it even more now that I heard ever single commentator today say the hole is too severe. Ian Baker Fincher even went so far as to say the green should be lowered about 5 yards and the dunescape built up on one side to block the wind at the green. Wow.
It's amazing how people in the golf world always want to soften a ball buster of a hole.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Mark Bourgeois

Re: 14th hole - Kiawah - Ocean course
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
You support a hole setup where 10 of 129 competitors hit the green in regulation? That doesn't smell like the fluky product of a wrong-headed effort to protect par?

EDIT: wait, my bad, I was thinking of the 13th.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:19:56 PM by Mark Bourgeois »

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
Yesterday, the hole was set at 249 yards.  Today, it was only 207.  Downwind, that's a 7 iron for these guys.  The winds today were 20-30mph with the highest gust measured at 38 at the clubhouse.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
You support a hole setup where 10 of 129 competitors hit the green in regulation? That doesn't smell like the fluky product of a wrong-headed effort to protect par?

EDIT: wait, my bad, I was thinking of the 13th.  :-[

I take it you are not a fan of this course?
And yes, I do support that hole.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »
No, I'm okay with the course, in particular as a challenge for the world's best. And I'm rooting for seashore paspalum.

That said, I'm not particularly eager to play it again (the resort is fantastic BTW) and I'd prefer more internal contour on the greens.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
14 is clearly the best par 3 on the course and one of the best I have ever seen.  You stand on the tee and you see the flagstick with the ocean and the horizon behind it - simply awesome.  Reminds me somehow of a really good skyline green.  Perhaps 239 yards is too much but at 207 for those guys it is absolutely great.  Most players will really enjoy it at about 165 - 185 yards depending on conditions.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »
I love the way the green sits up with nothing behind it. All you see is the flag all by itself on top of this table top. It's totally a tease.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
I don't think of it as a tease, more like the flagstick is the middle finger with the sloping green balled up like a fist...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back