News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Re: Bethpage Black & Red
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
regardless of the specifics, I think this is very good news.

I've always said that the 18th on Red is the best hole on the entire property and I stand by that.

From a routing perspective the easiiest solve is just swapping the 18th.

David Cronheim

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
From a lurker:

Let David C know that if Bethpage Black had the greens of Winged Foot / West the pros -- and everyone else for that matter -- would still be playing the course.

That's exactly my point though, Joe/lurker. I strongly disapprove of a layout which emphasizes the long game over putting to such a strong degree. I'm not calling for mega-ridiculous greens. I would be equally critical of a course that overemphasized putting over tee to green play. Don't misunderstand me - I was NOT calling for the USGA or anyone else to make the greens at Bethpage any harder. I simply find it to be a glaring weakness that the difficulty is so much stacked in the long game rather than the short game. You'd think I'd slaughtered a sacred cow. It's a nice course, but I feel perfectly comfortable saying it is incredibly overhyped because it presents mainly one type of challenge.

The lurker responds:

Dear David:

You "strongly disapprove of a layout which emphasizes the long game over putting to such a strong degree"-- maybe it's because your long game is especially weak and exposes a glaring deficiency. Bunters usually bitch and moan. Instead of admitting the obvious  (no disrespect) - they camouflage the issue as the fault of the course. Clever tap dance trick.

The issue is understanding that Tillie created a course where getting to the green is no small feat -- plenty of elevated targets to handle -- most notably the dangerous par-4 15th !  A number of GCAers and others are in love with layouts they can physically handle -- and have greens with wonderful contours where the short game is in fact over-EMPHASIZED (my emphasis added).

David, love the subtle putdown -- BB is more than just a "nice course" -- to use a baseball metaphor -- it's Nolan Ryan throwing serious heat and if you can't handle the fastball it's likely because you don't favor courses that don't fit your game -- your scorecard. No problem -- plenty of people mask their own game shortcomings and say similar things. There are johnny-one-note long hitters who hate massive contours because the putt like Roberto Duran -- the hand of stone! One other thing - be curious to know how many times you've played the course and what tees you played?

I'll say this again -- I do agree with you that finesse is missing at Bethpage Black and the omission of a top shelf short par-4 -- possibly even more than one -- is a must item. I have always said so and I agree 100% with Doak when he says there is not one world class golf course that doesn't have at least one short par-4 of note. The 18th at BB is a dog meat ender. Rees Jones tried to keep the original format and used a variety of "dress me up" elements to sweeten the pot. It failed in my mind. The 18th at BB needs to be THAT short par-4 where so much rides and even more so for the fact that there have been a number of muscle holes to precede it.

Joe et all, I'll disregard some of the comments about my golf game tossed in your commentary above and leave it at that I've played the course maybe a half dozen times. Each time I played from the tips (it takes 6 hrs to play there so I might as well enjoy a longer walk) and I also attended 4 rounds of US Open play there. I've been called many things, but never a bunter. My carry distance with a driver is about 270 and I have a swing speed in the mid-110's. I would not consider myself to be a short-hitter.

I play to around 3 and shot in the high 70's (or perhaps one in the low 80's, I don't recall) on my visits. No doubt it's a monster, but all the difficulty comes from the length which made the course boring and repetitive. In contrast, I thought that a course like Erin Hills (a similarly long course) had some interesting greens and a better mix of short and long holes that made a long course a lot more interesting. I stand behind my statement that it's case and point of how the USGA let equipment get away from it. I don't disagree that Tillinghast did everyone a favor by making the greens flat, but it's a long, boringly repetitive golf course that poses no serious challenges in the short game. It's blast a drive, blast a long iron all the way around. To me, that's not a complete test the way many other US Open venues are.

As an aside it was not a subtle putdown to call it a "nice course" - I also said it probably deserved to be in the top 100. We are splitting hairs at that point, but I do not think it is in a league with, for example, Winged Foot or Oakmont.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
From a lurker:

Let David C know that if Bethpage Black had the greens of Winged Foot / West the pros -- and everyone else for that matter -- would still be playing the course.

That's exactly my point though, Joe/lurker. I strongly disapprove of a layout which emphasizes the long game over putting to such a strong degree. I'm not calling for mega-ridiculous greens. I would be equally critical of a course that overemphasized putting over tee to green play. Don't misunderstand me - I was NOT calling for the USGA or anyone else to make the greens at Bethpage any harder. I simply find it to be a glaring weakness that the difficulty is so much stacked in the long game rather than the short game. You'd think I'd slaughtered a sacred cow. It's a nice course, but I feel perfectly comfortable saying it is incredibly overhyped because it presents mainly one type of challenge.

The lurker responds:

Dear David:

You "strongly disapprove of a layout which emphasizes the long game over putting to such a strong degree"-- maybe it's because your long game is especially weak and exposes a glaring deficiency. Bunters usually bitch and moan. Instead of admitting the obvious  (no disrespect) - they camouflage the issue as the fault of the course. Clever tap dance trick.

The issue is understanding that Tillie created a course where getting to the green is no small feat -- plenty of elevated targets to handle -- most notably the dangerous par-4 15th !  A number of GCAers and others are in love with layouts they can physically handle -- and have greens with wonderful contours where the short game is in fact over-EMPHASIZED (my emphasis added).

David, love the subtle putdown -- BB is more than just a "nice course" -- to use a baseball metaphor -- it's Nolan Ryan throwing serious heat and if you can't handle the fastball it's likely because you don't favor courses that don't fit your game -- your scorecard. No problem -- plenty of people mask their own game shortcomings and say similar things. There are johnny-one-note long hitters who hate massive contours because the putt like Roberto Duran -- the hand of stone! One other thing - be curious to know how many times you've played the course and what tees you played?

I'll say this again -- I do agree with you that finesse is missing at Bethpage Black and the omission of a top shelf short par-4 -- possibly even more than one -- is a must item. I have always said so and I agree 100% with Doak when he says there is not one world class golf course that doesn't have at least one short par-4 of note. The 18th at BB is a dog meat ender. Rees Jones tried to keep the original format and used a variety of "dress me up" elements to sweeten the pot. It failed in my mind. The 18th at BB needs to be THAT short par-4 where so much rides and even more so for the fact that there have been a number of muscle holes to precede it.

Joe et all, I'll disregard some of the comments about my golf game tossed in your commentary above and leave it at that I've played the course maybe a half dozen times. Each time I played from the tips (it takes 6 hrs to play there so I might as well enjoy a longer walk) and I also attended 4 rounds of US Open play there. I've been called many things, but never a bunter. My carry distance with a driver is about 270 and I have a swing speed in the mid-110's. I would not consider myself to be a short-hitter.

I play to around 3 and shot in the high 70's (or perhaps one in the low 80's, I don't recall) on my visits. No doubt it's a monster, but all the difficulty comes from the length which made the course boring and repetitive. In contrast, I thought that a course like Erin Hills (a similarly long course) had some interesting greens and a better mix of short and long holes that made a long course a lot more interesting. I stand behind my statement that it's case and point of how the USGA let equipment get away from it. I don't disagree that Tillinghast did everyone a favor by making the greens flat, but it's a long, boringly repetitive golf course that poses no serious challenges in the short game. It's blast a drive, blast a long iron all the way around. To me, that's not a complete test the way many other US Open venues are.

As an aside it was not a subtle putdown to call it a "nice course" - I also said it probably deserved to be in the top 100. We are splitting hairs at that point, but I do not think it is in a league with, for example, Winged Foot or Oakmont.

Agree with everything said here.   couldnt have written it better (or even as well) myself

Mark Johnson

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
small thread hijack--

When does BPB close for the winter?  (I know it is well before the other courses).   Will be on long island 3rd week of October.   Would like to try to get on BPB midweek.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
small thread hijack--

When does BPB close for the winter?  (I know it is well before the other courses).   Will be on long island 3rd week of October.   Would like to try to get on BPB midweek.

Usually around November. You should be able to get on.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
Ron,

I'm not a fan of gerrymandered/composite courses.

TCC, Congressional and Ridgewood come to mind.

I think it dilutes the quality of the original 18 and is the equivalent of architectural prostitution.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Still more from 'The Lurker':

Dear David,

Let me be clear again - for what you cleverly tried to turn around with verbal gymnastics. I never said Bethpage Black is a better overall course when held against the likes of Oakmont and Winged Foot / West. What I did say is that if Bethpage Black had greens with the slope, pitch and overall speed of the aforementioned two giants -- then Bethpage Black would be even more testing course than those two and with that even greater than those two (provided a stellar short par-4 were added with the likes of the 18th hole).

When you say Bethpage Black is "nice course" -- it is a putdown -- whether you choose to admit or not. It's also laughable when you say Bethpage Black "probablly deserved to be in the top 100." Hello -- anyone home? Bethpage Black is a solid top 50 USA course in my mind -- no question about that. The motif of the course stems from handling the demanding terrain and getting your tee ball in the proper place with sufficient length. It doesn't need miniature golf greens to test the world's best.

Let me also point out what you failed to appreciate from your visits playing and observing others doing likewise. Shot shaping is front and center at the Black -- it begins with the opener -- a really solid hole because you need to decide just how aggressive you wish to be right from the first swing. Moving the ball both ways is also a plus -- the 2nd swings the other way -- and the 4th calls upon a major decision on just how aggressive you want to be -- ditto for the 6th at the tee. I can go on and on and on. There are change of pace elements during the round -- and when the greens are brought to full speed there are several key holes where the contours have a major role -- and I am speaking about more than the 15th hole.

The missing element for the Black rests in having a signature short par-4 hole that can rival those at the other top tier layouts that have hosted major events. The 18th at BB can be such a hole. The issue boils down to key folks bulldozing what's there now and creating something that mirros the Tillinghast style -- the ending hole now is a sad joke because of what I mentioned earlier.

You will see things the way you wish -- fair enough. But, I have played my share of all the top tier courses in the USA. I agree with Doak's comment that any superb course needs to have a vintage short par-4 somewhere on the card. Bethpage Black has achieved greatness without the need for putt-putt clown's mouth putting surfaces -- the "02 US Open showed that with a vintage Tiger Woods triumph. I look forward to seeing The Barclay's there and hopefully, this time, better weather will prevail for the bulk of the event.

One final thing -- I would like to see the 7th played alternately as a par-5 hole (which is was designed to be) and then play the forward tee as was done for the '09 US Open as a long par-4. Something to think about. Credit the USGA for returning the 6th hole to the way it should be played by keeping the fairway cut as you go over the hill.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back