News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Should the PGA Championship return to Kiawah?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
 ;D

In the year 2019....

Jim Nantz: "Ah, yes, Peter, here come the patrons now..."

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
Kalen:

That's not outside the box, that's plain stupid (applies to both your pasted in tic-tac-toe analogy and your hair-brained swamp boat scheme).

Surprised you didn't suggest using hot-air balloons.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
Eric,

Nice pic....very funny!!  ;D

Sven,

Thats OK, I don't expect everyone to get it.  I'll leave you with this quote from the late Steve Jobs...

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Howard Riefs

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Travel to Kiawah via road, water and air with a fleet of these...

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
Eric,

Nice pic....very funny!!  ;D

Sven,

Thats OK, I don't expect everyone to get it.  I'll leave you with this quote from the late Steve Jobs...

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

If using fan boats to transport people to a once a decade golf tournament is pushing the human race forward, then I'll stand corrected.  Until then, you cray cray.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kalen Braley

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
Progress always comes in baby steps....

...look what these two unassuming blokes started.

British aviators Alcock and Brown made the first non-stop transatlantic flight in June 1919

Cory Lewis

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
Mike,

I thought you guys did a fantastic job.  My only regret is that I didn't go every day.  My wife and I went Thursday and absolutely loved it.  My wife is bugging me to play the course and we are both hoping that you get it again in 2019 so we can spend the whole week watching.  I've been to many tournaments as a spectator and I would put the experience at Kiawah at or near the top ;D
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

David Kelly

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:59 PM »
How about employing a fleet of these?

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 07:21:02 AM »
The challenge with boats is that they'd have to land on the beach as there are really only two non-individually boat docks on the island and they're not really on the Charleston side of the island.  Plus, like I said, we're very, very tide dependent.  During Full Moon high tides, the water's right up to the dunes.  At low tide, the waves stop 100 yards from the dunes.  Logistics would be challenge.

BigEdSC

« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
 I can't really add too much to what has been written.  We stayed at our condo on Seabrook and I was one of the walking scorers at the championship.  Below are my observations.

We tried to rent out our condo for the PGA.  Our property manager thought that we could of done real well raising the price for the week.  Unfortunately, we didn't get too many bites and I asked her to drop the price a month before the tournament.  It still didn't get rented, so the week before the tournament, we decided to stay there.  A good move.

The parking logistics were beyond bad.  Patrons and volunteers had to park in the tomato fields behind Freshfields.  The volunteers got free parking with a parking pass, the patrons had to pay $20/day.  The lot was divided into three different lots.  A single lane filled/emptied lot #1 onto the road leading to Kiawah, and another single lane filled/emptied the #3 lot.  If you were in lot #2 that was in between the other two lots, you were at the back of the line trying to leave.  One of the bus drivers had the best line of the tournament, "These people had seven years to plan this out, and thsi solution was the best they could do?!"

Getting to and from the course depended on when you decided to go.  Early in the AM got you to the course in roughly 35-45 mintues from the parking lot.  Leaving was a challenge.

On Saturday, I was walking scorer for Pat Perez and Marcel Siem.  We got to 16 when the horn blew.  After a wait, The PGA was called for the day at 6:30pm, and we had to come back Sunday and get ready at 6:30 am.  After dropping my equipment off, I decided to time how long it took to leave.
     7pm.  I just passed the entrance to the Ocean Course and joined the line to the buses.
     8pm.  Still in the serpentine line, but near the front.  People were getting pretty antsy.
     8:15pm  Got on the bus
     9pm   Still on the bus.  We just passedTurtle Point.
     9:20  Got off the bus and in the car.  There is a line to get out, but most people have already left
     9:45  Walked through the front door of the condo.

I talked with a marshal that lived in Mount Pleasant.  He left around the same time I did and got home around 10:15pm.  He said that he had to be back at 6:30am, so he got up at 4am to get back to the Ocean Course.

Got back at 6:30am, got suited up and we were in the fairway at 7:30 for the restart.

I had an afternoon group of Luke Donald, Scott Piercy and Cameron Tringale.  They were third from the end.  Luke's round was the best round that no one saw.  We started on #10, and once we made the turn, the marshalls outnumbered the fans.  Luke shot 66, Scott shot 69, and Cameron would rather that I not say what he shot.  Luke hit the ball with precision and Scott birdied the lasst three holes.  It was a little windy, but to witness that type of golf showed how good these guys really are.

My last couple of points, I would say that the Ocean Course is not very fan friendly.  I would venture to say, there were not too many people wanting to tromp through the dunes to go all teh way to #5 and #14.

Fans were allowed to bring in one bottle of water, and as hot as it was, there was no where to fill a water bottle.  Therefore, you were a captive audience to get anything to drink.  There were plenty of places to buy drinks and food, but as hot as it was, you could easily drink a bottle of water per hole that you walked.

If the PGA decides to come back, there are a lot of kinks to work out.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
After dropping my equipment off, I decided to time how long it took to leave.
     7pm.  I just passed the entrance to the Ocean Course and joined the line to the buses.
     8pm.  Still in the serpentine line, but near the front.  People were getting pretty antsy.
     8:15pm  Got on the bus
     9pm   Still on the bus.  We just passedTurtle Point.
     9:20  Got off the bus and in the car.  There is a line to get out, but most people have already left
     9:45  Walked through the front door of the condo.

Quite a travail to travel all of ~10 miles. Was there a cab line available at the Ocean Course entrance? That was standard at the last few US Opens that I attended -- though admittedly they weren't hosted on a gated island.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BigEdSC

« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
Didn't see a cab line, or a cab for that matter, near the entrance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back