News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Re: Play it as it Lies
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
Jim_Kennedy writes:
Reality is that players have been putting their hands on the ball since day one of the rules, and in situations where it may have been possible to hit it

I'm aware of that. But before they started coming up with rules, the game was played for hundreds of years more than likely much closer to my brand of golf than the USGA/R&A handball game.

Playing the ball as it lies has been corrupted from the very start of rules, so it's no surprise that it has expanded over time.

I don't get that. Why not returning more toward Dey's principles rather than the constant erosion of those principles?

Perhaps the game I play is too tough for most golfers, but that doesn't excuse the governing bodies constant giving in to the whiners who want the game to be fair (only regarding bad breaks.)

Cheers,
Dan King
It is one of the chief merrits of golf thet nonsuccess at the game induces a certain amount of decent humilty, which keeps a man from pluming himself too much on any petty triumphs he may achieve in other walks of life.
 --The Oldest Member

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
Dan King,

You keep referring to your "closed" group, my question pertained to competition outside of your "closed" group, and your playing it as it lies.

Dan King

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »
Patrick_Mucci writes:
You keep referring to your "closed" group, my question pertained to competition outside of your "closed" group, and your playing it as it lies.

What question is that?

I'll take a stab at answering your question despite not being too sure what your question was.

I'm not really that competitive of a person. Most of the time when I play golf I play the ball down, unless it interferes with a fellow competitor's shot. However, anytime I play competitively I prefer knowing what rules we are using prior to teeing off. If we are playing the USGA/R&A handball game, then I will also touch the ball when it is to my benefit -- but will not touch the ball just for the sake of touching the ball.  

Given  a choice, I much prefer many other golf games over the USGA/R&A handball game.

We will probably be playing when it cools down here in the Sacramento area. How much advance notice do you need to book a flight?

Cheers,
Dan King
Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship.
  --Patrick Campbell

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
Dan,

I maybe out your way in late October.

I understand your preference to play the ball down, but I think circumstances, in terms of weather, course conditions and the form of play have to be taken into consideration.

If I'm playing in a competition and my ball comes to rest in casual water, I'm going to put my hands on it and move it.

If you and I want to agree to more stringent rules, where there are no other competitors, I'd be happy to accommodate you.

Ken Moum

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
Perhaps the game I play is too tough for most golfers, but that doesn't excuse the governing bodies constant giving in to the whiners who want the game to be fair (only regarding bad breaks.)

Oh, I don't know about that.  Today I played 18 holes without touching the ball, on a golf course that is being maintained in a manner would mortify most of participants here. 

The only real "adventure" came when my ball was up against an OB fence on behind a green, and it took me five attempts with an upside-down lob wedge to get it far enough away from the fence to proceed. Obviously, if I'd been playing match play I would have simply picked up. I could have under the GHIN rules too, but I wanted to see if I could extricate it.

I quit playing the ball up about 40 years ago, but since reading your comments in this thread I have been thinking about your approach.  On thing I think people overlook is how seldom you get in a situation where the only option is to put your hands on the ball.

I play about five times a week, and I doubt that I see such one more often than a couple of times a month.  There are more times when I COULD touch the ball, but not ones where I need to.  And those few situations can easily be handled in match play.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back