News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Occupy King's Putter 2013
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
The King’s Putter was originally a competition between northern ad southern California, with non-Californians put onto a team depending on ties to one side or the other.

With 2013 the Sesquicentennial for the Battle of Gettysburg, I thought we would try to schedule the event as close to that anniversary as possible, and also attempt to keep the whole thing as cheap as possible so some that might have skipped it for cost might decide to attend.
I’m hoping to have the 2013 King’s Putter for the weekend of June 28-30. 

I have a piece of a beach house in Cayucos, just north of Morro Bay on California’s Central Coast. It is a four-bedroom house, but if people are willing to sleep on the floor and futons and such, could sleep dozens. There are some good, but not great, courses on the central coast.  The green fees are cheaper than most any other area of California. There is also a quickly growing wine trail. My brother-in-law fishes on the beach, right down the steps from the house, and does fairly well with it.

For golf there is a couple decent courses in Paso Robles, it is right by Harbottle’s Dairy Creek, and there are a couple fun courses in Morro Bay. I’ve heard rumors of some decent courses south of SLO. I was hoping we could also create a little course on the beach or on the dunes at Morro Bay and count that as one of the locals for the Kings’ Putter.

Since it is the sesquicentennial of Gettysburg, it would be nice for the northern team to go with blue attire and south to go with grey. I was thinking we can also give some points to anyone wearing Civil War attire, and especially anyone willing to do interesting, Civil War era facial hair.

If looking for comfort rather than the chance of sleeping on the floor, there are some reasonably nice places to stay in Cayucos.  Cayucos Sunset Inn is somewhat new, right at the wharf and I’ve heard very comfortable. There are some B&Bs, etc…

I’ve never been much for organizing anything. Luckily my children were very well organized and took care of that part of my life when I was a Dad.  I even supplied the trophy for the King’s Putter figuring that would keep me from being involved in organization. But I figured if I wanted to try the cheepo King’s Putter I need to be more involved. Still any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Any interest in a less expensive King’s Putter on the beautiful California central coast?

Cheers,
Dan King
Golf obviously provides one of our best forms of healthful exercise accompanied by good fellowship and companionship.
 --Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

Garland Bayley

Re: Occupy King's Putter 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »
I had hoped to go see Sebonack during the Women's open that weekend. I'm a maybe.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
earlier thread http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52009.0.html

I' hope to attend. I see this is tied into the Gettysburg anniversary, thus the late dates to an event that started out as a winter break, and no later than mid=March. Of course that went out th window  with the Palm Springs and Tahoe events.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »
Shame it's the same weekend as 5th Major.

Dan King

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »
Like I said, just getting input. I'm not tied to it being the Sesquicentennial of Gettysburg. It can just as easily be the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Chancellorsville, weekend of May 3-5, or some other weekend.

As we aren't tied to specific courses yet, the date is very open.

Cheers,
Dan King
I don't like #4 balls. And I don't like fives, sixes or sevens on my scorecard.
 --George Archer (asked if he had any superstitions)

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »
Cheap is good.

I'm interested, might turn this into half golf/half sighteeing with the wife and daughter. Despite living in the Bay Area for nearly four years, I have not been down the coast past Carmel. Shameful.

Please keep this thread posted near the top.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
If you're going to go the Central Coast route, you can't leave out La Purisima.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Greg Chambers

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »
btw, I'm interested.  My sister lives in Los Osos, so its almost a no-brainer.  And I'm pretty sure I have a grey shirt somewhere.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
interested.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
Where would one fly in to that area from the East Coast?

Dan King

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
Greg Chambers writes:

La Purisima is about a two hour drive from Cayucos. We can go there, but it does require a drive. Even if we save it for the last day, while it takes Southern Californians closer to home, it takes Northern Californians farther away.

Joel Zuckerman writes:

There is a small, wonderful airport at SLO. But from the East Coast, best bet might be to fly into L.A. Burbank, San Jose or San Francisco and then ride down with folks going from that area to the King's Putter.

If we are going to move this away from the summer, anyone with a preference between spring of fall? Th fall season is often the best time to be on the central coast weatherwise. I'm always surprised by how nice it is there in the autumn months.

Cheers,
Dan King
Golf is typical capitalist lunacy.
  --George Bernard Shaw

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
Greg Chambers writes:

La Purisima is about a two hour drive from Cayucos. We can go there, but it does require a drive. Even if we save it for the last day, while it takes Southern Californians closer to home, it takes Northern Californians farther away.

Joel Zuckerman writes:

There is a small, wonderful airport at SLO. But from the East Coast, best bet might be to fly into L.A. Burbank, San Jose or San Francisco and then ride down with folks going from that area to the King's Putter.

If we are going to move this away from the summer, anyone with a preference between spring of fall? Th fall season is often the best time to be on the central coast weatherwise. I'm always surprised by how nice it is there in the autumn months.

Cheers,
Dan King
Golf is typical capitalist lunacy.
  --George Bernard Shaw

The Dixie Cup has fall staked out. 

Dan King

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »
Bill_McBride writes:

I've never played in the Dixe Cup, but is it really a three month tournament?

Cheers,
Dan King
A tournament goes on for days. It is played at a dangerously high mental pressure. Golf makes its demands on the mind. A golfer is terribly exposed in almost every way. The responsibility is his and there is no way to camouflage this, no hope of jettisoning it.
  --Peter Alliss  (Alliss through the Looking Glass)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
Generous lodging offer - thanks Dan.  A change of date to the anniversary of Chancelorsville certainly bodes well for the South team - Gettysburg not to much.  Lee's greatest vs. his most regretful battles.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
Bill_McBride writes:

I've never played in the Dixe Cup, but is it really a three month tournament?

Cheers,
Dan King
A tournament goes on for days. It is played at a dangerously high mental pressure. Golf makes its demands on the mind. A golfer is terribly exposed in almost every way. The responsibility is his and there is no way to camouflage this, no hope of jettisoning it.
  --Peter Alliss  (Alliss through the Looking Glass)

Traditionally the Kings Putter has been held in the first half of the year and the Dixie Cup in the fall, thereby avoiding the misery of summer in the south and conflicts with the KP.

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 12:31:53 AM »
It's not an official GCA event if McBride isn't there.

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
Dan,
    A move to the autumn for almost guaranteed good weather gets my vote. With the Merion Open in June I am hoping you choose the fall, although you don't want to get too close to the Walker Cup at NGLA either. Sorry to be so nitpicky.  I haven't been to the King's Putter for a few years, but I remember you bringing up this Central Coast idea in the past and I am happy you are trying to get this organized.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 11:52:57 PM »
It's not an official GCA event if McBride isn't there.

Guess they need to cancel Buda this year.

It's not an official GCA event if there is no Redan. Come to think of it, Dairy Creek has two of them. ;)

I prefer spring.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »
Hunter Ranch in Paso is a good course and San Luis Bay is interesting and has some packages for lodging and golf. The company I work for used to have a north south tourney at San Luis Bay and the rates were pretty cheap several years ago.

http://www.avilabeachresort.com/

http://www.extraholidays.com/avila-beach-california/sanluis-bay-inn.aspx?resortID=44

Chalk Mountain in Atascadero is fun to play also.

http://chalkmountaingolf.com/index.htm

http://www.hunterranchgolf.com/
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
Isn't Avila Beach built on or very close to a site that Dr. Mac was supposed to do that eventually fell through.

I think I have indicated on related threads in the past that I am not for Hunter Ranch.

I would have thought Tim would have mentioned Santa Maria CC having been a former member.

My semi-tour of Hunter Ranch
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39744.0.html

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
Dan,
Kings Putter dates
2002 Barona         April
2003 Pasatiempo   Mar 15-16
2004 Rustic          Mar 27-28
2005 Stevinson     April
2006 Palm Springs June (rates, availability)
2008 Pasatiempo  Apr 26-27
2009 Rustic, etc   Apr 19-20
2010 Lake Tahoe May29-June 1 (snow)
2011 Bandon       Mar 18-20
2012 Sagebrush   Jun 9-11 (course availability)

Matthew Essig

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
Why not push it to the second week of July?
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
Matthew,

There is a group of these get togethers that have rough dates associated with them, because they typically don't step on each other.
Boomerang usually Feb Mar
King's Putter usually April May
Midwest Mashie usually June July
Buda usually Sept Oct
Dixie Cup usually Nov Dec

This is my recollection. People like Bill McBride who has attended many of them probably can correct any mistakes I have made.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Garland,
Dixie Cup is in October. There is also the 5th Major at Dismal River around the 4th of July.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »
Garland,
Dixie Cup is in October. There is also the 5th Major at Dismal River around the 4th of July.

Dixie Cup should be early October, we froze our asses off late October last year in Roanoke and Richmond.  There has been talk over the years of flipping the Kings Putter and Dixie Cup to the advantage of both, but it's never happened. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back