News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

I recently played at Shiskine Golf and Tennis Club, a fun, very quirky links on the Isle of Arran.  Its merits - and rating in the original Confidential Guide - were discussed at great length in a 2012 thread (see http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37937.msg1187951.html#msg1187951) in which the consensus was that Tom's 2 rating in the original CG was too low.  While Volume 1 of the new CG has been out for almost two years, I just noticed that Shiskine got upgraded to a 5 rating.  Does this make it the biggest "mover" between the original and new versions of the Guide?  And, for the handful of GCAers who've been to Blackwaterfoot, did Tom get it right on the 2nd try?  While I'd have had no quibble with a 4 rating, I think a 5 is the better fit due to the fact that there's more to the course than quirk and great views, although there are plenty of both.  Several of the greens - #s 2, 6, 9 and 11 top my list - are well placed in natural locations.

Whatever the rating, it's one that shouldn't be missed if visiting or passing through Arran, possibly en route - as I was - to Machrihanish and Mach Dunes.  Ultimately, it says something that courses like Shiskine and Crail Balcomie draw raves from more than just the GCA crowd while many other supposedly better courses do not.

The pics below were taken high atop the tee at #4 and looking down on the 6th green.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:37:55 PM by Andy Shulman »

Phil McDade

Andy:

I think Shiskine hovers right between a 4 and 5 on the Doak Scale. Perhaps Tom, like many of us, is softening in his dotage. ;D

An initial 2 was too low, but as I've revisited his scale, and read his comments here and elsewhere about the nature and intent of the scale, I think he's right to hold even courses rated as 4s and 5s to fairly high standards. One of the things I think is sometimes lost in debates about the Doak Scale, and assessing courses by it, is that it's a purely golf -- and, really, golf architecture -- ranking. And those who might rank Shiskine on their own personal scale -- it was one of the more enjoyable courses I played in Scotland -- often think beyond strictly golf to things like value, scenery, setting, and uniqueness that push it higher on their list of course to play. (I'm a sucker for quirk -- but most golfers aren't.) Tom's initial thoughts on the thread you linked to are probably correct -- you'd have to play a lot of courses in Scotland before Shiskine is the best one left to play.

Still, it's a great setting, and a true links, and scattered amongst its 12 holes is some really terrific golf.

Andy Shulman

I agree with just about all of that, Phil.  This was my 4th trip to Scotland and this visit was part of a larger vacation that included time spent in Iceland.  While I wouldn't plan a trip around Shiskine, it did serve as an excellent complement to Machrihanish, which was the main event.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back