News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stewart

Surprised no one has mentioned Crystal Downs. 5,7, and 17 are exceptional with so many ways to play each. 6 may be too long to be considered "short", but I think it's only 350 or so from the middle tees and very solid. 15 is less famous, but still very good.

Scott Warren

Barnbougle Dunes is ahead of any other course I have played in regadds to short fours.

Royal Melbourne Composite is a good shout also.

Tom Kelly

Another lesser known is Woodlands, it has a great set of short fours

+1

Probably not going to win any prizes here but 4 & 7 are fantastic holes and 3 & 13 are both pretty good too. If 12 had a little more space off the tee it could join in as well.

Ben Sims

Wyatt + Ben
What do you consider short 4s at Wolf Point?

10, 1, 4, 16, 18, 7

While I don't think they are the best short 4s on their own, they are great in totality
Interesting greens with varied biases
Strategy changes significantly with local winds
Random bunker locations
There are 6 of them!?!

Cheers

Mike,

You've got a very good point.  Once I really examine my favorite courses (NGLA, Ballyneal, WP, Palmetto), there is great variety with the par 4's--especially the under 350yd par 4's.

At Wolf Point there are 5 holes I have driven or been near the green with my tee shot.  1, 4, 7, 10, 16.  The beauty of these holes is how completely different each green is.  I love these holes because they level the played field with big hitters.  Big hitters only have the advantage on the 350-450yd group of holes.  But when a hole is short enough that many can drive it or approach it with a short wedge, it evens the playing field.  Likewise, this is the beauty of very long par 4's.  Everyone has to come in with a long club.

Sven Nilsen

1.  Barnbougle Dunes
2.  Royal Melbourne
3.  Everything Else
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Patrick_Mucci

Preakness Hills

Greg Tallman

Greatest in the world? Not likely but the 3rd (327), 11th (352) and 14th (366) on The Ocean Course @ Cabo del Sol are very, very good. 3 & 11 are drivable as often as not and 14, while not drivable, is simply my favorite hole on the course. Second shot to any of the three after not finding the surface with the tee shot can be difficult and entertaining. 

Mark McKeever

I would have to say Eastward Ho! and St. Georges of the courses I have played.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

jeffwarne

Goat Hill has 5 very good ones on its' 9 holes.

I'd say a course would need some long par 4's for its' short ones to really stand out
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back