News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

We Have A US Am Qualifier (for the matchplay bracket)!
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »
At the risk of jumping the gun by 30 or 45 minutes, it sure looks like GCA-er Andrew Biggadike (in his younger days a student of GCA-er Jeff Warne ;)) has qualified today for the US Am (with 67+73=140) at North Shore CC in Glen Head, New York. Unless I am mistaken, this is the first time Andrew has qualified. It also looks like he will be the medalist for the day.

Starting his afternoon round on #10, Andrew carded an even-par 36 for that nine without parring a single hole. He had 2 eagles, 2 birdies, 4 bogies and a double-bogey!  

http://www.ghintpp.com/mgagolf/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=395&fid=0

Andrew is a past club champ at Ridgewood and a 3-time winner of the Carnegie Shield at Royal Dornoch.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:39:14 PM by David_Tepper »

David Bartman

Re: We Have A US Am Qualifier!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:18 PM »
Congrats  Andrew, enjoy the experience

Cherry Hills is a very enjoyable course, with a ton of history!!
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »
As much as it pains me to say this, how about them Quakers!

From one ODAC golf alum to another, Andrew, congrats!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Congrats to you Andrew!
Can't take credit for that swing/game-it's been a long time (although once upon a time I could take him ;D-20 years ago!)
Tell us about North Shore
 I haven't been there since the Doak redo-did a golf school today with a teacher who often works there-says it's really good
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
Now we have two! GCAer Brian Colbert also qualified for his 2nd US Am.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52888.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
Congrats Andrew and Brian!!!! :)
H.P.S.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
Andrew & Brian,

There's something special about qualifying for a USGA event.

Congratulations and good luck.

Cherry Hills is a terrific course with a lot of history and a very gracious membership.

Keep a bottle of water and some chewing gum next to your bed

Have a great time

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
Congratulations guys. It is an honor befitting of the hard work you put in to earn your spots.

AndrewB

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
Thanks folks.  I'm obviously very pleased to have qualified.  I haven't posted in a long while but I thought I'd respond to comment on the course:

Tell us about North Shore
 I haven't been there since the Doak redo-did a golf school today with a teacher who often works there-says it's really good

I really enjoyed North Shore, and not just because I played well on Thursday.  My main thoughts after my practice round were that it was a good course for my game and that I think it would be a fun course to play all the time.

Part of the reason for that is because the course doesn't feel repetitive to me.  That's a nice quality because I think much of the routing is such that it could very easily feel repetitive.  There are a handful of holes that run next to each other over very similar land -- 1 and 12, 3 and 4, 13 and 14, 18 and 1&2 -- but they don't feel like the same or similar holes at all.  When playing the first two holes the first time, I looked left and right and saw several holes running parallel over what looked like the same upslope (on 1) and downslope (on 2).  This had me worried it would just feel like the same holes back and forth but it's not like that at all.

I did see on another thread that Tom Doak said they changed 1, 2, 17, and 18 in part to give some variety to the course rather than to have several mid-length par fours.  I never saw the original holes (though the Google Maps satellite overhead still shows them) so I can't comment on them, but I will say I like the holes that are there now (particularly 2, 17, and 18) and from looking at the overhead would not be surprised at all to find out most members feel the new holes are a big improvement.

Another aspect of the course that I suspect would make it fun to play all the time is the variety in the shapes and slopes of the greens.  There are narrow and long greens on 1, 3, and 9 that are tough to hit.  There are greens with a lot of internal contour like 2, 15, and 17.  The greens on 6, 12, and 18 have slopes running down the middle that make them play more narrow.  Other greens are fairly flat or have a some steep pitch to them.  And there's the double plateau that's just great.  It's a nice varied set and I was told seven of the greens are new with the redo.  Obviously the four new holes, and I think also 7, and my guesses for the other two would be 15 and probably 13.

Lastly, I hit a variety of clubs off the tees there.  I decided to hit driver on six holes, three wood on four holes, and my next club down (a 17 degree hybrid) on three holes.  But guys I played with did differently and I might have made different choices if I had been more or less comfortable with certain shot shapes or even my swing that day.  For the par threes I hit three wood, 5 iron, 8 iron, and 9 iron.

That's all for now.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »
Good luck this week to GCAers Andrew Biggadike and Brian Colbert playing in the US Am this week in the Denver-area.

Both tee off today at CommonGround

Brian -- 7 a.m.
Andrew -- 8:50 a.m. 

Go low!

Leaderboard: 
http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2012&type=stroke

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
I also believe I saw that GCA's own Matt Cohn qualified for the US Mid-Am the other day. Congrats, Matt!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
"I also believe I saw that GCA's own Matt Cohn qualified for the US Mid-Am the other day. Congrats, Matt!"

Tim G. -

You are indeed correct. Matt Cohn was the medalist in the Mid-Am qualifier at Sequoyah CC on August 9. Way to go, Matt!

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventQualifying.aspx?id=21474844707

DT

Jay Cox

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »
Brian is a nifty two under through nine at Common Ground - the fifth-best score of the 70 players that have finished nine holes so far.  A great start, regardless of what happens from there!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
Andrew finished today at -2 (68):  
http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2012&type=card191

Brian was a couple strokes higher at +2 (72):
http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2012&type=card158

Bobby Wyatt of Univ Alabama shot a studly -7 (31-33) at Cherry Hill to top the scoreboard after 18 of stroke play:
http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2012&type=card007

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
Solid work by both guys!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
521 yard par 4 at Cherry Hills that is mighty long!
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »

It's certainly not a short hole, but doesn't play nearly that yardage. First, of course, Cherry Hills is at altitude. Second, the hole is a good dogleg left with the second shot really tumbling downhill. The drive plays uphill but I would guess most of the young bombers in the Am can drive it to the top of the hill or over.

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »

It's certainly not a short hole, but doesn't play nearly that yardage. First, of course, Cherry Hills is at altitude. Second, the hole is a good dogleg left with the second shot really tumbling downhill. The drive plays uphill but I would guess most of the young bombers in the Am can drive it to the top of the hill or over.

The guys in my group (including Brian Colbert) were routinely 175-185 +/- out on the several 500 yard par 4s at CommonGround, which for them was 7/8/9 irons. A game with which I'm not familiar.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
Nice current top three:  Wyatt, Thomas and Williams...I'd take those three guys to the world amateur team championship and win.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:05:32 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »
I couldn't be happier for Andrew right now.  He admits that the Havemeyer Trophy replica that sits in the trophy case at Olympic torments him every time he walks by it.  I don't think it was bothering him much today. 

John_Conley

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »
Wyatt's name is familiar.  He's the kid that fired 57 at the CC of Mobile.

David_Tepper

Re: We Have A US Am Qualifier (for the matchplay bracket)!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
GCA-er Andrew Biggadike shot 73 at Cherry Hills today to finish the 36-holes of qualifying at even-par 141 and advance to the matchplay draw of 64. He tied for 25th in a field more than 250.

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2012&type=stroke
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:48:01 PM by David_Tepper »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 01:07:47 AM »
I could not give a hoot in hell(that would be the State of Alabama) if a gump golfer made it to match play. However two LSU Tigers did make it. Curtis Thompson and Andrew Presley made it to join our CGA friends. Go Tigers and along with Andrew and Thomas, have a great week  at Cherry Hills.

John_Conley

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 01:12:49 AM »
Mad props to Bigga.  That's some high-level golf.  Best of luck in the matches.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back