News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Dream Foursome---Mine and Yours
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:14:10 AM »
Crain's Chicago Business ran a feature a while back that listed readers' dream foursomes.  Last Friday, I had an opportunity to come pretty close to putting mine together.  Paul Sullivan,  a fellow Evans Scholars Director and I hosted Mike Keiser, Bill Shean (winner of the US and British Senior Amateur) and Bill Kingore, who is in charge of development for the Evans Scholars. (Okay, this means that we had a dream fivesome, but let's not get picky!)   We played at Beverly and a good time was had by all.  Shean shared many a tale from his playing days, along with some fun Pine Valley stories and Mike regaled us with the exciting news of Cabot Links opening day.  We spent some time talking about course architecture, but the day was primarily focused around the topic that we all care about the most: trying to make sure that the Evans Scholars Foundation continues to function as the absolute best golf-related educational charities in the land.  Bill Kingore has done spectacular work in the relatively brief time that he's been with the organization and has helped raise millions of dollars for the cause.

Enough about my day, who would be your dream foursome to play with at your club?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:05:52 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Dream Foursome---Mine and Yours
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
Terry - I heard that your co-host posted a decent number Friday.  I've been lucky to play some dream rounds with him at Beverly and elsewhere around the country.

My dream foursome at home would be a generational battle - Tiger and myself against Jack and my father.  The first tee negotiations would be a great way to kick off the day.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
who would be your dream foursome to play with at your club?

My dream foursome at my club has already been done...Chris Cupit, Mike Riley, and Mike's son.  Fun times!

But I would love to do things like:

play with Tim Bert at Kingsley;

Tom Doak at High Pointe;

Duncan Cheslett at Reddish Vale;

Michael Goldstein at Paraparaumu;

Tommy Nacarrato at Rustic Canyon;

I could go on and on...but you get the point.  Play with people at a course they love and know intimately.

You know, like Matt Ward and Red Ledges.   :D

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:12:39 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
Mac,     Kyle has lived one of your dreams playing with Tim Bert at not only Kingsley but also Crystal Downs. Special weekend for him!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
Gee, reading Mac's post, I realized I even got to play at High Pointe, now with TD, but only him tagging along for a few holes...(which given HP, is never going to happen again) and with the Emperor at RC a couple of times, and that includes at Barona and RC with the inimitable Dan King and the Emperor.  

I guess when I think of it in those terms, I've already played out the realistic scenario of those many legendary GCA posters from the Godfather of Carmel to the Produce man, and Big Red and all his NE buddies.  So, rather than make this a "I love you man" sort of tribute to all the GCAers I've loved before....  ::) ;D

My dream foursome has to include a place and a post round evening dinner, and here is how it would go....

David Feherty unplugged, Ken Venturi,  Mario Batalli, and me.  It would be on the new Doak course at DR, and our caddies would be, Fluff Cowan for Feherty, Jim Nance for Venturi, Bobby Flay for Batalli, and Tom Doak for me for the "local knowledge" aspect...  ;)

The bets would be a match between the pros Feherty and Venturi (now a handicapped competition) for looser who tells at dinner, the best never shall be public inside humorous story from their career golf experiences.  And a match between me and Batalli for looser prepares dinner for the rest of we players and caddies, at the DR kitchen with unlimited pantry and wine list the 7 course dinner of their choosing.  If I'm cooking, Batalli and Flay are my sous chefs.   (apple juice for Feherty) and we all can't leave the table or firepit until midnight!!!

That is about it for me....  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Terry - we met Bill Shean over dinner at Pine Valley last year, perfect gentleman.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael George

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
I would first have to exclude family members as my dream foursome would obviously be a combination of my father, brother and sons.  

I agree with Mac that the best foursomes are with those that have a passion about the place.  Just wish Eric and him would not have shut me out at the 5th Major  ??? ??? ???  

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:37:25 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
Terry - sounds like a fine day, and that you are doing good and valuable work; cheers!

I'd like to play Walton Heath with Ken Macpherson, and have Rich Goodale and Sean Arble join us.  Dinner afterwards, and some drinks. That would be a splendid day.  Later, if someone could direct me to the Cotswolds, I'd do a short walking tour, stopping in little pubs for a cold plate and some ginger beer.

Peter

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:38 AM »
So many dreams.  One would definitely be at the University of Michigan course with Mike DeVries and Papa Joe (whatever happened to Mr Hancock?).  A sort of playing archie lesson - tee hee.  I would chuck in Pietro Pallata because I like the sound of his name.  Besides, I could use him as an excuse to head for Toronto one day and he would owe me!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »
Terry - sounds like a fine day, and that you are doing good and valuable work; cheers!

I'd like to play Walton Heath with Ken Macpherson, and have Rich Goodale and Sean Arble join us.  Dinner afterwards, and some drinks. That would be a splendid day.  Later, if someone could direct me to the Cotswolds, I'd do a short walking tour, stopping in little pubs for a cold plate and some ginger beer.

Peter

Since I've never been to Walton Heath, let me know when your dream is coalescing Peter, and I'll use my free bus path to make the journey south.  And, if you do then go on towards the Cotswolds, don't get so ensconsed in the pubs there as to not play the epitome of quirk, Painswick.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:31:34 AM »

I didn't realise Billy Joel and John Travolta played golf.  Who is the last one?

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
Terry,
You have given me a golden opportunity to thank the numerous worthies and characters who populate this site.

Dream Foursome for golf? Can't do it. No question whatsoever though but the motley crew whoever they are have to break bread after the event.

I would have to have three dream foursomes plus their Saviour...that's right then you can have The Last Supper. We are all disciples but here are my Apostles.

Who's going to be be our Starter and our Saviour.......well it has to be Peter Pallotta.

Who else is present at the table?

Mark Bourgeois
Tommy Naccarato "The Emperor"
Gib Papazian "The Armenian"
Dan King
Rich Goodale
Marty Bonnar "The Fat Baldy Drummer"
Ian Andrew
Sean Arble
John Kavanaugh
Bob Crosby
Bill Brightly
John Kirk

Now of course the The Twelve Apostles have to have acolytes in the form of caddies which allows me to extend my listing of notables even further!

Bill McBride
Kyle Henderson
Sven Nilsen
Mike Whittaker
Ben Sims
George Pazin
Patrick Kiser
Mac Plumart
R J Daley
Terry Lavin
Dave McCollum
Ed Oden

Devil's advocates?  Take yer pick!
David Moriarty
S L Slow
Lou Duran
Pat Mucci
T E Paul
Phil Young "The Author"
Ted Sturgess
Tom Egan
Tom Doak
Charlie Gorgeos
Tuco Ramirez
Dan Kelly
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera!

And of course the unheralded masses who are too numerous to mention I thank you all for this delightful forum.

Cheers Colin

"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
Col

Not to be disparaging about unnamed folks, but I am happy to trade places with guys like Whitty and Ed Oden.  Indeed, Ed is one of the true gems on this - a guy who is far more clever and insightful than he lets on.  I have tons of time for the man.  Whitty is kind soul who deserves to have his bag carried or in my case, pushed. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
I didn't realise Billy Joel and John Travolta played golf.  Who is the last one?

I'll give you a hint: He doesn't travel for Trent Jones.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
Thanks for the hat tip, Colin, I'd be happy to tote the bag for anyone mentioned in your post.

I could drop dead tomorrow and not have many regrets, but not joining Mike and Don at their baby, and Ben on his, would be a few notable ones. Someday soon, fellas, be forewarned.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back