News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Kelly

Re: ESPN doing a good job at the Open this time
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 08:09:20 PM »
He had 11 wins in 7 years then was diagnosed at 33 the year he won the PGA.  He had one win 7 years later. He is a role model because of his fight back. You guys call him names now because he doesn't tell you about golf shots properly...Really?

You're absolutely right, John. Because he had cancer, Paul Azinger is beyond criticism.

Just a thought, regarding his record on the golf course: Maybe cancer changed his priorities. That could well have been a gain, not a loss, for Azinger. Who are any of us to say?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom ORourke

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
I find it interesting that ABC got out of the golf business almost completely some years ago, and then jumped back in. Why, and then why? I know money was involved but they put themselves behind the 8 ball with that gap of a few years. I also think that Faldo and Azinger were both much better together at ABC back then than apart. Their dialogue was better than their monologues. I thought Scott Van Pelt was very good this week, and also during the US Open week previews with Andy North. Very understated, and his comments on how everything had just changed at 17 were right on while being concise, not verbose. I wish the Golf Channel could afford to bring hom back to host Morning Drive.  

astavrides

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
I find it interesting that ABC got out of the golf business almost completely some years ago, and then jumped back in. Why, and then why? I know money was involved but they put themselves behind the 8 ball with that gap of a few years. I also think that Faldo and Azinger were both much better together at ABC back then than apart. Their dialogue was better than their monologues. I thought Scott Van Pelt was very good this week, and also during the US Open week previews with Andy North. Very understated, and his comments on how everything had just changed at 17 were right on while being concise, not verbose. I wish the Golf Channel could afford to bring hom back to host Morning Drive.  

I myself couldve easily done without van Pelt and Sean McDonaugh (sp?) and their lack of golf knowledge.

JSlonis

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »

I myself couldve easily done without van Pelt and Sean McDonaugh (sp?) and their lack of golf knowledge.

I think Scott Van Pelt knows his golf very well.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
ABC was always the worst network by far when they carried the majors.... I can remember a time when we were forced to endure them for three out of the four. Fortunately those days are long gone.
I disagree, they used to be quite good in the old days.  They had Jim McKay playing the role of host and Jack Nicklaus used to provide a lot of the commentary.  And they had Bob Rosburg, who was such an infamous on-course reporter that he has had a golf term named after him.  When you have an impossible shot you are "Rosburged"!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »
What kind of serious student of the game needs someone else to tell them how to watch a golf tournament?

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »
Once upon a time I thought I liked Azinger as an anouncer but I have realized that it was actually Faldo that I liked.  I think he is a nice enough guy having met him during his treatment for Ca.  I cant believe his lack of knowledge about dropping in a bunker.  I find that really strange(not Curtiss) for a guy who had the incredible carreer he did.  Curtis Strange is.

Coverage, mediocre.  Tournement was incredible.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2012, 08:50:35 AM »
I really like Scott Van Pelt as well.  I wish ESPN's main crew was Tirico, Van Pelt and Andy North.  I think that trio might be the best they have in the booth.

But the reality is they have no incentive to change when their ratings continue to go up year after year.  And with Tiger in the hunt they could have anybody they want broadcasting and still see a ratings jump.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Did anybody else notice how loud the helicopters were on the front 9 Sunday? I have been looking over articles since then to see if others were bothered by this but couldnt find one.

I saw Tiger step away from a putt on the front and look up, not sure what or where he was looking at but the sounds soon stopped or became less obvious.

It was a really annoying on the front 9....but keep in mind, was watching the round with my 80 year old dad, he tends to have the volume quite loud so he can hear it better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back