News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Kelly

Re: ESPN doing a good job at the Open this time
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Just to say: BRAVO to the comments that Azinger = Bonehead.

Of all the terrible announcers (including Strange), Azinger is the worst.

Poor Judy Rankin -- to be so good at what she does, and relegated to walking with also-rans, while Azinger and Strange say nothing interesting except the stuff about which they're 100 percent wrong.

UNBELIEVABLE, to me, that Azinger doesn't know the most basic rules of golf. And then to call his critics on Twitter the ignoramuses! The noive!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Poor Judy Rankin -- to be so good at what she does, and relegated to walking with also-rans, while Azinger and Strange say nothing interesting except the stuff about which they're 100 percent wrong.
So Ernie Els was an also-ran today?  She was with his group.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
So Ernie Els was an also-ran today?  She was with his group.

Make that "presumed also-ran," then.

My point is: She's light-years better than Strange and Azinger.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 01:00:47 AM »
I tend to agree with all the criticism for some of the announcers, and the support for those like Rankin that do a fine job. 

But, I also suspect there are many other considerations going on behind the scenes, like agents, contracts, pool of talent that actually want to do this announcer/commentator work, and probably a panel of suits that are basically a bunch of elitist country club swells, that really don't know that much about the inside of the golf game.  So, that all leads to a tendency to hire the on-air talent that aren't really the best out there to do the job for the few viewers that do know more of the inside of the game.  It is all about cache (Ryder cup captains, past major winners,high profile but also guys that have a good cocktail hour rap at the best parties where the suits tend to hang out).

Com'mon you critics and admit it; YOU think YOU are actually the best suited to do the job!   ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »
My takeaway for the week?

Adam Scott is pure class and while I never root for or against individual golfers, I hope he has a major(s) in his near future.

If Ernie’s putts would have dropped throughout the week like they did on today’s inward 9, he would have won by a half dozen shots.

Royal Lytham is a terrific Open venue.

And, although it is almost impossible to quantify, Paul Azinger is an even bigger buffoon than I thought possible.

And that is saying something.

His stupidity is of galactic proportion. When coupled with his childlike self-certainty the result seemingly allows him to spew moronic opinions and observations on command. His next intelligent comment will indeed be his first. He is so bad that I actually found myself turning the volume up during the telecast as a form of decadent entertainment: finding humor in the idiocy of a fellow human being. He is a cartoon.

well said, David.  I love the childlike self certainty statement- anyone familiar with Azingers knee jerk, willfully ignorant political views will nod their head....
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Matthew Rose

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45:45 AM »
ABC was always the worst network by far when they carried the majors.... I can remember a time when we were forced to endure them for three out of the four. Fortunately those days are long gone.

Even though it is ESPN now, it is essentially ABC. They are one and the same, and they retained all the same group of mouths.

Tirico has never been my favorite but he is getting better at golf. Judy Rankin is good. I like Andy North too.

Strange is awful and has been awful for years.

Azinger may be worse than all of them.... I always disliked him as a player for no apparent reason at all. Once I heard the guy speak, I liked him even less. Have to admit, great Ryder Cup captain though.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 02:12:07 AM »
More early 4th round Azinger wisdom: "...I don't see Scott being the kind of player who will spit the bit..."
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
Strange sucks...he adds nothing/imparts no new info

Paul,

Next time I say the exact same thing about you please reflect back on why you said this about Curtis Strange.  I know you may find this hard to believe but I actually wake up some mornings with remorse over my off the cuff insulting comments.  How do you feel this morning?  Does this type of commentary make you feel strong?  I'd love to understand the core of your motivation.  Lord knows I don't understand mine.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
Others have articulated criticism of Azinger and Strange far beyond my poor power to add or detract.  On the off chance that decision makers from ESPN or the R & A value the opinion of the common man, however, I hereby offer my thoughts:

1)  I like Mike Tirico.  He does a good job of bringing an understated yet cheerful energy to the coverage, much like someone in your foursome who isn't particularly funny but always seems to be enjoying the round.  He is self-effacing and far more articulate than many bigger-named announcers who seem smitten with their inflated sense of the Poetic.

2)  Judy Rankin deserves more air time.  She has an acute sense of the importance of staying out of the way of the golf and the golfers, recognizing that they are the show, not herself.  Her only weakness is a reluctance to criticize, making her perhaps the anti-Johnny Miller in this regard.  I also think she is blessed with more sensitivity and insight to the mental and emotional side of the game, an aspect about which others seem merely to speculate.

3)  The camera work needs improvement.  Perhaps this is the fault of a BBC feed or setup, but often I found myself lost when trying to locate the ball.  Normally I think a camera tracks a ball to its resting place, then zooms in to show it clearly, and finally zooms out to place its position in the context of the hole or the green.  Over the weekend at Lytham, I regularly saw the behind-the-player angle, followed by a mid-zoom crane shot which didn't easily pick up the ball as it landed, followed by a rapid zoom out.   In these shots I couldn't figure out where the ball lay -- on the green or greenside or in a bunker -- before the camera zoomed out for a wide-angle.  Even if a ball lands in a bunker and is out of sight of the camera, the shot should remain on the bunker for a moment (to fix the location in the viewer's eye) before zooming out.

4)  Perhaps because I'm cursed with a small, decidedly LD television (very low def) I love the blue-streak trajectory tracker.  I would love to see it on every replay.  It's particularly helpful when comparing the two drives in a pairing, but it was equally fascinating, though sad, in allowing us to follow the flight of GMac's gut-wrenching yank into the gorse.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
Charlie Bell, I think you have a very good point about the 'method' of tracking a ball, and difference between the production direction model of typical U.S. camera crews and control rooms and BBC.  As long as I can remember, the tracking of balls on Euro tournaments has been poor, where the view is often a wandering field of view in the camera, trying to locate the ball after it lands.  That is rare in a U.S. camera-director control room crew, if you ask me. 

The world of golf broadcasting could sure use a new personality and talent like Chirkanian to come along and re-invigorate and innovate the method of golf broadcasting again.  I'll be there are a lot of off the record, private dinner conversations between these professional broadcasters about the state of their own quality of telecast.  I'll bet there is a lot of behind the scenes bitching by these broadcasters that have been at it a while (particularly among those that worked in the Chirkanian camp) about the lack of support or resources that networks give them, or the air time restrictions, or merely the direction behind the scenes coming through their earpieces while they are working.  Feherty has alluded to this a few times in some of his more free wheeling commentary when 'filling time' sitting at the table so to speak. 

There are some commentators that are clearly not up to a quality presentation, as mentioned above.  There are others that are sometimes criticized who may be more under director producer restraints, or self imposed restraint that probably could be a heck of a lot better for those of us who think we know the game, but probably aren't willing or be enabled to 'cut loose' a bit and tell us what they really know. So, the broadcasts are dumbed down to the casual bored weekend mildly interested sports fan, who may be killing time between mowing the lawn, and grilling dinner for the family... and all the other casual factors of those that may tune in for a while. 

But, we on GCA can always fill a couple pages on the subject of the quality of these broadcasts and on-air talent it seems every major broadcast.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »
I was amused when, as Scott finished up on the 18th, Tirico decided to analogize Scott's loss to Palmer losing a 7 shot lead to Billy Casper at Cherry Hills in the U.S. Open.  Now I'm no golf historian, but given that the last major was at Olympic and the story of Palmer losing there to Billy Casper was told during every telecast, I would think that Tirico could have avoided confusing Palmer's come from behind victory at Cherry Hills with his collapse at Olympic. 

But as they say ... never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Announcers are great but I'd really like to see more than the top 4 guys.  That's pretty much the whole show since they teed off.

100% agree. I have been banging on about this for a long time.

ESPN's (or any other network that has covered The Open in recent years) coverage is horrific in my opinion. They focus on too few players in the event, they insist on showing us all of Tigers discussion over his shots and some guy at the end of each day try's to make a few sterotypical quips about Britain, the weather, the food and sum the day up in a few words. He is borderline insulting.

They need to bin all the cr*p and show us the &*(k)ng golf shots that these guy are making. I have no issue with a few extra seconds when a player in the lead is faced with a tough shot but 30 seconds before he hits a 7 to the green is too much. Too often they cut to the 18th green and player x who is not in contention holes out. If they got rid of all the other rubbish and filler we could have seen some more shots from these worldclass players.

The BBC have it right. They cut to the player, the commentator says "Donald on the 2nd, with a 7iron from 150 yards, into the wind" shot is hit, then they talk about the result if something great happens. ESPN is not all bad but they should just copy the BBC's picutres and talk around them.

Rant over for now.

PS - Gutted for Scott, happy for Els.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
This thread is spot on.

If I have to sit thru one more open with Azinger and Strange commenting, I swear I'm just going to turn it off.  I'm no fan of Johnny Miller, and these guys make him look like Peter Aliss.  The telecast was simply awful from a commentary perspective, no to mention all the gaffes.  There has got to be some better talent out there than this....

Come'on ABC, step your game up....either that or just wave the white flag and give us the BBC feed.

Tim Martin

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
The two questions asked of Adam Scott in the post-round interview were classic as well:

1. "How do you feel?"
2. "The bogeys down the stretch didn't help, did they?"

All I could think of when she asked these questions was what would have happened had Bobby Knight been the subject of her interview. They should send her to cut her teeth at the Iditarod and maybe after some thoughtful and poignant questions to the sled dogs be allowed a crack at something more mainstream. Ouch! :o I love Peter Aliss.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
Com'mon you critics and admit it; YOU think YOU are actually the best suited to do the job!   ;) ::) ;D

"Best" suited is a tall order.

But better-suited than Strange or Azinger to say something worth listening to?

Anyone on this board would be a better bet than those guys!

Well, almost anyone....

Phil McDade

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »

"Best" suited is a tall order.

But better-suited than Strange or Azinger to say something worth listening to?

Anyone on this board would be a better bet than those guys!

Well, almost anyone....

Dan:

I'm struck, in watching TV over the years, how many really good writers are just awful on television. It usually works in reverse -- folks who are good on TV are often good writers (Alistair Cooke comes to mind).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
Azinger lost his playing career to cancer.  I find it disgusting how he is being treated by this board. How soon you all forget when it suits your needs. He is one of the few true role models in golf.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
Dan:

I'm struck, in watching TV over the years, how many really good writers are just awful on television. It usually works in reverse -- folks who are good on TV are often good writers (Alistair Cooke comes to mind).

But Alistair Cooke WAS a writer, before he was on TV...

I'm not sure I get your point.

Here's the thing, though: Azinger and Strange really aren't on TV, 99% of the time. They're on the equivalent of radio -- where you're no good at all if you don't have something interesting to say.

----------------------

As for John K's last post: I, for one, am certainly not judging Azinger's character, or forgetting  his non-Hodgkin lymphoma (a subject about which I know way more than I wish I did).

I'm just saying he's a lousy announcer.

And furthermore, he didn't lost his playing career to cancer. Check the records: http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/001042/paul-azinger/season/#uber.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:07:37 PM by Dan Kelly »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Azinger lost his playing career to cancer.  I find it disgusting how he is being treated by this board. How soon you all forget when it suits your needs. He is one of the few true role models in golf.

John,

Paul is still fully able to play golf and could be enjoying a fruitful career on the Senior Tour if he so desired....

Just because he survived cancer, doesn't mean the world should be handed to him on a silver platter, especially a job that quite frankly I could probably do a better job at.

If you want to talk about "real causes" to get behind, here's one you could be a pimp-in-the-box for.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs094/en/

JMEvensky

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »

Being contrary for the sake of contrariness is not where you want to be on this one.

You should probably do some research on Azinger before firing from the hip.Ask some of his peers about that whole role model thing--especially where the rules are concerned.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
i was just thinking back to the coverage of The Open again and i was working from home of Thursday and Friday and i actually turned the sound off on Friday because i realised that it was turning into white noise with nothing of interest being said. Azinger and Strange were poor all week. Just a lot of nothing, no interesting facts or opinions on the shots being faced or attempted. I could not to better but i certainly expect better.

Maybe if they showed a greater variety of golfers they would have more to talk about.

ESPN also showed a ridiculously large amount of ariel shots and explained what i was looking at every time. What a waste of time.

The shot tracker was cool, particularly because there was not an easy colour contrast to follow the ball. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
I have a friend that is the most fascinating well versed good looking golfer I have ever met that got an on camera gig with the golf channel. It didn't translate on the tube. It is difficult work ill suited for the likes of bloggers.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »
Take a minute and study Azinger's career then make up your own mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Azinger

Dan Kelly

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
Take a minute and study Azinger's career then make up your own mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Azinger

He had his best-ever finish in the Masters after cancer.

He had a top-10 in the Open Championship after cancer, and a top-10 in the U.S. Open after cancer.

He made the cut in the PGA Championship seven straight years after cancer, with no finish lower than 41st.

He won the Hawaiian Open after cancer.

Did cancer diminish the career he might have had? Yes, probably -- but he played a lot of successful PGA Tour golf after cancer. He didn't "lose" his playing career to his non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Cf. http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/001042/paul-azinger/performance-stats/#uber

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
He had 11 wins in 7 years then was diagnosed at 33 the year he won the PGA.  He had one win 7 years later. He is a role model because of his fight back. You guys call him names now because he doesn't tell you about golf shots properly...Really?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back