News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David Cronheim

Chocolate Drop Bunkers as Directional Markers
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
I came across an interesting tidbit while doing some research on template holes for a forthcoming article in the NJ State Golf Association's magazine. Below is a picture of the 15th hole at the Banks Course at Forsgate. The description claims that the chocolate drop mound was used as a directional aid for a blind tee shot.

Has anyone encountered any similar chocolate drop mounds used as direction markers, particularly on a Banks/Raynor/Macdonald layout?

http://www.forsgatecc.com/club/scripts/golf/View_Course_Hole.asp?CID=598&HNO=15&GRP=13763&NS=PG
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Chocolate Drop Bunkers as Directional Markers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »
I don't believe that the one at Forsgate would help as a directional aid. It looks to be hidden from the existing tee and even if you could see it, it directs you too far left. The tee box would have to be a lot farther to the right (in the photo - and no trees) before it could considered an aid.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:56:02 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
Two things:

1.  There used to not be any trees on the golf course. So that solves question 1.

2.  I'm not sure if you have played this hole, but for me, it's almost drivable.  The mound aligns one with the approximate location of the green, not the fairway.

Also note that from a drawing plan of Forsgate, the chocolate mound is not present.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »
If you can't see the mound (or the bunker) because of the trees how do you use it for alignment?

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
Jim,

It was probably more visible when the course was tree-less.
From the tee today, I believe you can still see the mound, but yes, you do have to look through the trees.

If you get picky, the description says it WAS USED as a directional marker, not IT IS used.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
I don't think it makes a very good directional marker, if you drove over it you'd be headed at the L. greenside bunker, or the rough. If, as suggested by the copy, chocolate mounds were used as directional markers on blind holes it would follow that they'd aim you toward safe ground, not toward trouble.  
They may have the correct usage in mind, but from their own drawing it looks like the chocolate drop (if it's even necessary) would be more appropriate in the first bunker, not in the second one.

And this view makes it look even less useful.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:04:35 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

David Cronheim

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
I guess I just had not seen this feature used as a directional marker before. I know the 2nd hole at Deal (NJ) has a chocolate drop mound affectionately referred to as the "Sombrero" or "Donut" trap. For the most part, it's completely out of play, so I wondered why it was there.

I pulled the old aerials and it turns out there actually were 2 such mounds on the hole (when it also played as a par 5). The first was to align the tee shot, the 2nd (remaining) mound was for the 2nd shot layup. In that case as well the tee shot was partially blind due to a large fairway bunker/dune obscuring the right portion of the fairway. For those who have played the hole, it has to be one of the hardest par 4's in the state of NJ.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back