News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Niall Hay

Best of English Golf
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »
If one was wanting to experience the best of English golf within decent distance of London how would you best do it?

Here is what I got from my local expert :

"One week depending on how keen and cost tolerance.  Most places have two courses worth playing so I would say within an hour or so of London in order of days of play:

Day One: Royal St Georges and Royal Cinque Ports
Day Two: West Sussex
Day Three: Walton Heath x 2
Day Four: St Georges Hill
Day Five: Wentworth x 2
Day Six: Hankley Common
Day Seven: Sunningdale x 2

Courses left out but worth a shout include Rye (but better in winter), the Berkshire (x2), Worplesdon, West Hill, Woking and Woburn. Queenswood is impossible to get on so don't know if any good but newer courses like the Wisley, the Grove and the London Golf Club are all pretty solid but more North American."

Thoughts? Agree? Rerank? Add any others?

Niall Hay

Re: Best of English Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
Very few Open Rota courses, notice only Royal St George's Golf Club on the recommended list. No Royal Birkdale Golf Club, Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club, Royal Liverpool Golf Club "Hoylake". 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
I'd typed a big long reply, but then realised it should merely consist of one word:

Swinley.

cheery,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Swinley Forest? How close is that to the others? Close to other great courses?

Niall Hay

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
Swinley Forest? How close is that to the others? Close to other great courses?

Obviously it's right near Sunningdale and the other heathland classics. What are the best ones?

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
If one was wanting to experience the best of English golf within decent distance of London how would you best do it?

"One week depending on how keen and cost tolerance.  Most places have two courses worth playing so I would say within an hour or so of London in order of days of play:

Courses left out but worth a shout include Rye (but better in winter), the Berkshire (x2), Worplesdon, West Hill, Woking and Woburn. Queenswood is impossible to get on so don't know if any good but newer courses like the Wisley, the Grove and the London Golf Club are all pretty solid but more North American."

Niall

That itinerary is far from price sensitive - I make it £1500 (probably more) in green fees??????

Whenever planning a trip, come up with your must plays in the given area you want to be and then fit the others around those.  Its difficult for anyone to tell you what your must plays should be.  If you don't know what they are, go to an area where there are must plays.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
Very few Open Rota courses, notice only Royal St George's Golf Club on the recommended list. No Royal Birkdale Golf Club, Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club, Royal Liverpool Golf Club "Hoylake". 

Didn't you answer this question in your first post?  How many of these are within reasonable distance of London.

I'd suggest using the search function to research the courses that were suggested to see if they look like places you want to play.  Consulting a map will help you figure out a general idea of travel times.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Niall Hay

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »

Niall

That itinerary is far from price sensitive - I make it £1500 (probably more) in green fees??????

Ciao
[/quote]

Purely base the list on the quality of the golf, not the cost/economics.

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »

Didn't you answer this question in your first post?  How many of these are within reasonable distance of London.

I'd suggest using the search function to research the courses that were suggested to see if they look like places you want to play.  Consulting a map will help you figure out a general idea of travel times.

Understood. Just interesting how few Open courses are near London. My greatest interest is in the Heathland Classics. Best available/possible.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Niall

Ciao

Purely base the list on the quality of the golf, not the cost/economics.
[/quote]

Swinley, Sunny New, St Georges Hill & Woking are the must quality plays that I know.  Add in the must play links; Sandwich, Deal & Rye and your week is covered.    Mind you, its pretty easy to substitute the 4 heathlands for 4 others depending on opinion.  I know two that I would strongly consider, West Sussex and Royal Ashdown Forest, but that is because I always fancied seeing these courses - again.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
I just booked a week staying in Windsor and Sandwich before spending a week in London as a tourist, and on the advice of 2 world renown top 100 golfers I am playing the following courses:

Addington, Walton Heath, Sunningdale, Wentworth. St. Georges Hill, Royal St. George and Swinley Forest.
 I may have time to add a couple of others suggested here.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
If on the Kent coast, Royal Cinque Ports is a must play. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
Wayne - I cannot find your booking, surely your not playing good courses and staying in inferior accommodation??

Wentworth - for the quality of the golf or cos its been on the telly?

There's only a handful of links courses near London hence the lack of Open venues.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:10:22 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
I spent a week in London a few months ago... very similar trip in terms of courses.

Most of your choices are pretty solid, but I would make a few changes if possible...

As my boss pointed out to me, and he was right, after you see a bunch of Heathland courses, they will all start to blend together a bit, so I would suggest moving your trip to Kent and Deal to the middle of the week.

I would exchange the Addington w Wentworth. Wentworth wont be worth the price and you will just feel like a number, The Addington is something completely unique... and Swinley Forest, Woking or Worplesdon with Hankley Common and possibly West Sussex.

Whatever courses you chose, you will for sure come back with a list 2x as long you wish you had seen for next time!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »
Or one could say screw it and head to Scotland to play links golf till the hearts content.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
I think Rye would be an excellent choice. Harry Colt's first design in 1894. It is a private club that does allow some visitors. They recommend contacting them in advance if you would like to visit.
http://www.ryegolfclub.co.uk/
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

hhuffines

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »
Swinley is a must play!  Great staff, very friendly.  I would give it a slight edge over St. George's Hill.  A full day at Suningdale is incredible and I highly recommend Royal Cinque Ports as well.   

Niall Hay

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
[quote author=Sean Arble link=topic=52902.msg1214876#msg1214876 date=134290831

Swinley, Sunny New, St Georges Hill & Woking are the must quality plays that I know.  Add in the must play links; Sandwich, Deal & Rye and your week is covered.    Mind you, its pretty easy to substitute the 4 heathlands for 4 others depending on opinion.  I know two that I would strongly consider, West Sussex and Royal Ashdown Forest, but that is because I always fancied seeing these courses - again.

Ciao

thanks Sean!

Niall Hay

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
I just booked a week staying in Windsor and Sandwich before spending a week in London as a tourist, and on the advice of 2 world renown top 100 golfers I am playing the following courses:

Addington, Walton Heath, Sunningdale, Wentworth. St. Georges Hill, Royal St. George and Swinley Forest.
 I may have time to add a couple of others suggested here.

Good stuff!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »
In all seriousness, the links is what makes golf in the UK special. That is what prompted my somewhat offhanded comment. I would certainly play Rye and say Rye and say Rye again before sliding over to royal St Georges twice and then Deal. then one might say shall i do this again of head up and do a donut around London playing really nice parkland courses. Or shall I head to St Edonoch and Westward Ho before heading up to Liverpool and star a week of links glory in that area with Hillside, Fornby, Royal Birksdale and St. Annes. There are 3 or 4 more great links courses in the area I have forgotten already. So that would be my approach to golf in England. One can play the southeast coast and get to Liverpool on the east coast with a couple of nice links options to get you in the road or on the west coast as well.

Niall Hay

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »
I spent a week in London a few months ago... very similar trip in terms of courses.

Most of your choices are pretty solid, but I would make a few changes if possible...

As my boss pointed out to me, and he was right, after you see a bunch of Heathland courses, they will all start to blend together a bit, so I would suggest moving your trip to Kent and Deal to the middle of the week.

I would exchange the Addington w Wentworth. Wentworth wont be worth the price and you will just feel like a number, The Addington is something completely unique... and Swinley Forest, Woking or Worplesdon with Hankley Common and possibly West Sussex.

Heard good things about The Addington.

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »

How expert is your local?  ;D Just joking!

Not a bad list, but I'd adjust it to get rid of Wentworth and perhaps Hankley Common also? Assuming its mid summer so you have plenty of daylight how about something like this...

Day Two: Walton Heath x 2
Day Three: West Sussex and Royal Ashdown Forest
Day Four: St Georges Hill and Woking
Day Five: Berkshire x 2
Day Six: Sunningdale x 2
Day Seven: Huntercombe

Walton Heath, The Berkshire and Sunningdale are three 36 hole clubs that will give great experiences. Then days 3 and 4 are pretty much interchangable with also Swinley Forest, New Zealand or perhaps a little further south Liphook? Huntercombe is a last day experience of something a little different, more downland than heathland, but as a Willie Park Jnr course, certainly worth seeing. In fact your or my itinerary is all a little similar? How about this to get a little more links golf into the equation:

Day Two: West Sussex and Royal Ashdown Forest
Day Four: Swinley Forest and Woking
Day Five: Sunningdale x 2
Day Six: Hunstanton and Royal West Norfolk
Day Seven: Royal Worlington

BUT if you are talking "Best of English Golf" you need to head further north to experience the likes of Notts, Alwoodley and Ganton! No home favourite, northern bias, honest!  ;D  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 06:36:15 AM »
I believe Royal West Norfolk does not accept visitors in August.

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Mark,
That's correct Royal West Norfolk doesn't take visitors in August. But if Niall was to head to England any other month I'm sure that itinerary would work nicely...
Cheers,
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »
Naill:

You might also want to consider Woodhall Spa and Ganton.  Woodhall Spa in particular is in my opinion on the list of "must play" courses in England.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back