News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Royal Dornoch
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »
I hear on the grapevine the club are looking to re-develop their clubhouse for a sum north of £4m.

With a recession it's a good time to develop as there are deals to be had with builders looking for business but unless RD has a few £m sitting in the savings account money needs to be borrowed.

In my experience no one has ever joined a club because the toilets were fantastic or left due to the lockeroom carpet.

Whilst not expecting RD members to stick their heads above the parapet can anyone comment on the condition and suitability of the current clubhouse?
Cave Nil Vino

Tom Birkert

Re: Royal Dornoch
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:20:31 AM »
Never been there, although I plan to soon... That seems like an extraordinary amount of money to me. Depends on fit out and design, but my initial thoughts are that is a huge sum.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:18:11 AM »
I played Dornoch earlier this year. The weather was horrendous but the course was spectacular. What I could see through the driving rain was a course that far exceeded my high expectations.
The clubhouse did not. The visitor changing rooms were small and basic. Upstairs, the bar and restaurant lacked the refinement befitting the course we had just played.
Don't get me wrong, in any other situation the clubhouse would have been more than sufficient, but this is Dornoch - one of the best links courses anywhere. The clubhouse should reflect the stature of the course, so the planned developments can only improve an already epic golfing experience.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
Mark

I've spent a lot of time in the clubhouse at Royal Dornoch and always found in to be perfectly adequate, if not especially iconic (with reference to another thread).  It is a bit boxed in and the road crossing to the 1st tee is nobody's idea of a good thing.

Plans have been mooted for a new clubhouse since the turn of the millennium and I think the bank balance at RD is pretty healthy by all accounts.  My recollection is that the new CH was planned for the other side of Tee 1, somewhere near the helipad.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:36:11 AM »
Mark

A new clubhouse has been on some members' agenda for over 20 years at Dornoch and this year no different.  Your information is in the ballpark (I doubt it is a secret, as nothing in a town (oops! Royal Burgh) as small as Dornoch remains a secret for very long).  As for the plans themselves, think of an alien race from the planet Syron whose population resemble human being sized blancmanges, and imagine that they landed their spacecraft neatly on top of the old clubhouse, devouring everything in it except the clock tower.  And, if you can't imagine this, just look at the following......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPd9pVUwPYA&feature=related

Mr.  Alexander

Surely you jest? :o

Rich
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:42:06 AM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:46:48 AM »
I would have thought a good quality spec clubhouse would be 2,500 square metres of floor space - £1600 per square metre.

Lytham is roughly about 2500 sq.m with high ceilings.

Does Dornoch already have a dormy house as well?

The more likely situation is that the new clubhouse will be built at another location possibly a site near the existing clubhouse and the existing clubhouse to be demolished or sold to others.

Cheers
Ben

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
If at all possible, the club should have purchased the next door hotel.  This would have been a great property to slowly bring into play while keeping the current house.  I don't much see the point in a new house now if the hotel wasn't a go.  If there is that much money in the bank and if I were a member, I would rather have my dues knocked to zero for a few years and a reduction in visitor times to cut the bank balance.  Of course, locals may want a lovely house to hang in and I spose thats fair enough - if a lovely house is built.  At the end of the day, the members don't have a lot to lose as it is visitor's money paying for the project and I can see no reason why visitor fees won't continue to roll in. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
The clubhouse perfectly suits the course, town and members. The beer and kummel are coldand the welcome is warm.

Changed my shoes inn the locker room one morning during my stay. Can't say I recall whether It was good, bad or indifferent. I was at Dornoch, and I didn't come for the locker room.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:29:54 AM »
I played Dornoch earlier this year. The weather was horrendous but the course was spectacular. What I could see through the driving rain was a course that far exceeded my high expectations.
The clubhouse did not. The visitor changing rooms were small and basic. Upstairs, the bar and restaurant lacked the refinement befitting the course we had just played.
Don't get me wrong, in any other situation the clubhouse would have been more than sufficient, but this is Dornoch - one of the best links courses anywhere. The clubhouse should reflect the stature of the course, so the planned developments can only improve an already epic golfing experience.

Really?
Do you need more than "basic" to change your shoes?
Perhaps the reason the course is "one of the best links anywhere" is that their priorities lie beyond the clubhouse........
Sorry to be so rough but the phrase "the clubhouse should reflect the staus of the course"  would start to make my stomach turn..... ::) ::) ::)
but using the word "status" in describing such a gem as Dornoch already did........

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall Hay

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
We should have our resident (seasonal) expert David Tepper speak to this….

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
Is this it?

Greatly preferable to this:

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
Ideally, RDGC has planned to start construction at the end of 2014, so that's a good ways down the road.  Although I haven't been their in about a year, they are definitely looking into building a separate section for the members, with a better locker room.  Also, the plans show a much improved dining room, and for those who've seen our "dining area" now, it's pretty bad.
I am perfectly fine with the clubhouse, but they do want to look a little more attractive for guests and a better dining area will be better for year-to-year revenue.
Will it be worth it?  I'm not sure I am qualified to answer that,  but from all the minutes and notes, it appears that the current clubhouse is significantly lacking.  Over the past 20 sum odd years, they've been putting additions and updating small parts of the clubhouse, but eventually it will need to be changed, so I'm guessing now is the time.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
I suspect it could be brutally expensive to renovate the old empty hotel.  Hazardous materials?  Check.  Complete code upgrade required including disabled access?  Check.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:45:15 PM by Bill_McBride »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
Bill

The old hotel is up and running and not for sale anyway, as far as I know.  The existing clubhouse is rarely more that 1/2 full, even in the peak summer periods and virtually deserted for the other 8 months of the year.  The concept of a new bigger and more fancy clubhouse is a folly and has always been so, as long as I have been a member there (30+ years).  One of these years one of the groups of powers to be will win a vote, but it will be a hollow victory.  The club is rolling in money, but if they want to spend it, they should look towards teh golf courses, particularly the Struie which could be made into a superb 27-hole complex for a fraction of what any new clubhouse would cost, and with far more utility to the members and visitors.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
Well said Rihc!

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
Bill

The old hotel is up and running and not for sale anyway, as far as I know.  The existing clubhouse is rarely more that 1/2 full, even in the peak summer periods and virtually deserted for the other 8 months of the year.  The concept of a new bigger and more fancy clubhouse is a folly and has always been so, as long as I have been a member there (30+ years).  One of these years one of the groups of powers to be will win a vote, but it will be a hollow victory.  The club is rolling in money, but if they want to spend it, they should look towards teh golf courses, particularly the Struie which could be made into a superb 27-hole complex for a fraction of what any new clubhouse would cost, and with far more utility to the members and visitors.

Rich

Rich,

Personally, I agree 100% with you.
I would rather see them improve the struie, and perhaps the little shag area to the right of 18 fwy.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
George Pazin -

I think the design of the Castle Stuart clubhouse is outstanding. Having been in the clubhouse on several occasions, I can also say the interior is extremely comfortable and functional.

DT

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
George Pazin -

I think the design of the Castle Stuart clubhouse is outstanding. Having been in the clubhouse on several occasions, I can also say the interior is extremely comfortable and functional.

DT

It does look like an amazing place to be inside looking out.
very cool
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »
"It does look like an amazing place to be inside looking out."

Jeff W. -

I have said on more than one occasion that it is almost worth the green fee at Castle Stuart just to be able to sit in one of the leather chairs in the mens' locker room and admire the views of the golf course and the Moray Firth. ;)

DT  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:30:39 PM by David_Tepper »

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
George Pazin -

DT

As a standalone structure, I might agree. As a clubhouse next to a links course, it doesn't work for me.

But if they're happy with it, hats off to 'em!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
George and David

I love Castle Stuart, but it does not have a "clubhouse," it has a food and beverage facility for visiting golfers.  As such, it is superb.  Dornoch, on the other hand, has a Clubhouse, which both serves members and welcomes visiting golfers.  Also, Castle Stuart is a new club without much history, whereas Dornoch is an old club with bags of history.  Given the diferences, it is hard to believe that the same sort of architecture would equally serve the two entities.  At least IMHO.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
Rich -

You are correct. Castle Stuart is a daily fee golf course and is not a "golf club" with a membership. 

My views on the design & function of the Castle Stuart clubhouse are in no way a comment on what might be appropriate for any other golf course or golf club.

DT     

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »
DT

With regards the Castle Stuart clubhouse, do you not think its a little wide at the front ?  ;D

Actually, I was surprised when I first saw the CS clubhouse design with its art deco look. Still not sure where they got that from but its amazing how quickly its become part of the landscape, but not only that but an iconic building which shouts out this is Castle Stuart. I'm not sure a more "conventional" frontage would have achieved the same result. And as you say, its got a superb feel inside with its furnishings and panaramic views.

Rich

I know what you mean about one being a clubhouse and the other a food and beveredge facility but thats just down to the way there run. The CS building could easily be adapted as a clubhouse. I also disagree with Alex, a formal dining area is something that most clubs really don't need at all.

Somewhere I've got a graphic of the original clubhouse that really had quite a bonnie frontage with the clock tower in the middle of the ridgeline. I assume over the years they added bits and pieces to the front, hence the frontage thats there now.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »
"Actually, I was surprised when I first saw the CS clubhouse design with its art deco look. Still not sure where they got that from but its amazing how quickly its become part of the landscape"

Niall C. -

There used to be a brief description of the genesis of the design of the Castle Stuart clubhouse printed on the back of the menus in the dining area there. It may still there.

The "art deco" design theme of the clubhouse was a very conscious choice of Castle Stuart's ownership.

Here is much more detailed info (and many pictures) regarding the design of the CS clubhouse:

http://castlestuartgolf.com/facilities.php

DT  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:23:36 PM by David_Tepper »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
Mark Alexander - I'll never forget the rough and ready Machrihanish clubhouse, kids playing pool in jeans and football shirts, it was the heart of the village and to me the perfect match to a great local course.

I've only been to RD once some years ago so do not remember it well & if the membership are happy with the investment that's great. I saw a picture of the proposed dining room (massive) and the bar (tiny). Is RD trying to take diners away from other places in town? If so will it adversely affect other businesses in town?
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back