News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

I'm a big fan of fast greens and natural undulations, even tricky puts, having to look left in order to put it close to a hole on the right, putting up the hill first to a big breaking downhill location etc etc. However, when does it become too aggressive in your opinions, can you remember any relevant examples to share? I've got one I can remember very well and still to this day think it was way unfair. The course is a Nicklaus design in the hills near Brisbane, Australia called Brookwater. Anyone know it or have played it?

I can't remember the exact number of the hole but it was an uphill par 4 with a two tiered green which was heavily bunkered. I ended up in the lower left hand bunker and the only play was to hit out onto the top level. The greens were hard and fast and the pin was located on the bottom level. The only option I could imagine required putting the ball into the rough in hopes it would trickle out just enough to take the speed away to stop the ball on the bottom level. I thought I pulled it off only to watch the ball roll off the front and 50 meters down the fairway. Beautiful course, full of kangaroos but the impression that stayed with me was that it was unfair and I know, golf is not fair. What do you guys think?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Howard Riefs

Re: Greens shaping, when do the angles become too aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
David -

Don't be dismayed by the lack of replies.  A similar related post from last week:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52819.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David Davis

Re: Greens shaping, when do the angles become too aggressive?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
Howard,

Thanks, I should of known. You guys have everything covered. I wasn't a member last week in my defense. Thanks for making aware of that thread it's an excellent one.

David
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back