News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joey Chase

Weekend in London
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
I have a weekend free and am thinking about popping up to London for three days.  I have yet to play any heathland courses besides Woodhall Spa, and even that is a bit of an anomaly for it's location.  If money weren't an issue, where would you send me to get the gist of the best of what heathland golf has to offer?  I am leaning towards trying for Sunningdale's two, Walton Heath, or maybe West Sussex, or The Berkshire, or Hankley Common, or if possible Woking.  Any thoughts?

Bart Bradley

Re: Weekend in London
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
Sunningdale, Swinley Forest and Walton Heath.

Send me a PM if I can help you in any way.

Bart

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »
Joey - weekends at top private clubs are not easy without a member host, Sunningdale is also closed to visitors on a Friday.

With luck you'll be PM'd by someone on the board.
Cave Nil Vino

Joey Chase

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
Joey: I will send you a seperate PM on courses but if you would like to meet up with a few of us for drinks, please shout - I'm sure we can get a crew together. I'm right in saying you have been doing a lot of work on courses around continental Europe? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on our continent!
I was working in Portugal for a few years building a course.  During that time, I visited a lot of courses in many countries, so I wouldn't say I have been doing a lot of work, but worked a lot when here!  I am now in Switzerland, near Geneva.

P.S. I wasn't fishing for an invite, just wanted to know if playing three or four rounds, if there were some sleepers to play instead of the usual names that would exemplify heathland golf?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:34:10 PM by Joey Chase »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
Would these clubs in London have rentals or loaner clubs if you didn't want to bring your own?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:12:45 AM »
Joey - us Brits do not in anyway think "fishing for invites" is rude or ungentlemanly. Such attitudes are a strange result of the ultra private, expensive system adopted in some countries. You will normally see people getting invites if they let us know they are in the area.
Cave Nil Vino

Tom Culley

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
Joey,

If you have trouble getting on to the famous heathland tracks around London, then i would highly recommend a day playing Berkhamsted in the morning, and then Ashridge after lunch.

Ashridge was designed by C K Hutchison, Sir Guy Campbell and N V Hotchkin and is a fine parkland layout with deer walking the fairways. It is also where Henry Cotton was professional.
http://www.ashridgegolfclub.ltd.uk/

Berkhamsted was laid out by Braid and Colt and is a unique bunker-less heathland course. It is well known for hosting a top amateur tournament called The Berkhamsted Trophy, past champions include Messrs Donald, Lyle and Wolstenholme.
http://www.berkhamstedgolfclub.co.uk/

T
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Joey Chase

Re: Weekend in London New
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I will be in the area the second weekend of Sept.  It will be a Sat. 15th - Mon. 17th.  I would love to meet up for a drink or two.  I think I may have a golfing itinerary that will work for me.  Thanks for the reassurances Mark I would hate to come across too tacky!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:16:32 PM by Joey Chase »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back