News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

For the man (or woman) who has everything....
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:05:25 AM »
......how about a magnificent seaside estate in Scotland which includes a James Braid golf course?

http://residentialsearch.savills.co.uk/property-detail/331835/list
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom_Doak

Re: For the man (or woman) who has everything....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »
I didn't get up quite that far when I spent my year overseas, but I read something that had kind words to say about the Reay golf course, so I suggested to Gil Hanse that he go see it when he was over there a few years later.  He said it was good, except for the nuclear plant views.  Funny how you can't see the nuclear plant in any of the real estate sales pics.

Tom Culley

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
That seems remarkably cheap!
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »
He said it was good, except for the nuclear plant views.  Funny how you can't see the nuclear plant in any of the real estate sales pics.

I knew there was a catch!  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
http://www.reaygolfclub.co.uk/course.html

There was a thread with some pics of Reay here a couple of years ago, but I could not find it via the search.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »
I didn't get up quite that far when I spent my year overseas, but I read something that had kind words to say about the Reay golf course, so I suggested to Gil Hanse that he go see it when he was over there a few years later.  He said it was good, except for the nuclear plant views.  Funny how you can't see the nuclear plant in any of the real estate sales pics.

A remote seaside estate with a golf course next door to a nuclear power plant?  They're marketing it the wrong way at the wrong people, the proper market is wealthy survivalists and supervillians!

"Whether you want to survive the zombie apocalypse in comfort with all your electric appliances still operating, or your latest death ray weapon design uses hundreds of megawatts, the nuclear power plant situated conveniently next door insures a constant supply of electricity.  Since there are years worth of nuclear fuel rods stored on site, it is not subject to coal or gas supply interruptions due to the end of the world or UN embargoes.  Take time off from your hectic schedule of killing zombies or MI-5 operatives on your very own private 18 hole golf course.  This remote estate has it all for the discerning buyer."

Just paint the cooling towers in red and white stripes and it'll become iconic like the lighthouse at Harbor Town...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
I know that no one wants to live near a nuclear plant, but does it make sense to built such a plant so far from any population base?  Wouldn't the transmission line losses eat up a substantial portion of the power produced?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the nuclear power plant (actually a research-focused fast breeder reactor) was closed down 5-10 years ago.  You do have to look out for then odd radioactive particle on the beaches, however....

Also, if you read the brochure carefully you'll find that while the golf course has been leased out to Reay Golf Club for a "peppercorn" rent, as Laird you have the "droit de seigneur" of being able to show up on the first tee, at anytime (even during the tee off of the final of the club championship, I presume), and tell the peasants to step aside and let you play.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:54:19 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
Also, if you read the brochure carefully you'll find that while the golf course has been leased out to Reay Golf Club for a "peppercorn" rent, as Laird you have the "droit de seigneur" of being able to show up on the first tee, at anytime (even during the tee off of the final of the club championship, I presume), and tell the peasants to step aside and let you play.
Does this title of Laird of Reay come with the estate?  At least £2.5M buys you a lot more in Caithness than in London.

The term droit du seigneur has an interesting background: 
Droit du seigneur was a putative legal right allowing the lord of a medieval estate to take the virginity of his serfs' maiden daughters

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »
The good news is the nuclear plant at Reay is in the process of being decommissioned and torn down.

http://www.scotlandguides.org/tour/dounreay-nuclear-power-plant-1927.htm

"within a few years, much of the experimental nuclear site at Dounreay will disappear from the landscape........Many of the facilities that have dominated the skyline of Scotland’s north coast for the past 50 years will be razed to the ground."

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
So the value will only go up without the power plant...even if your appliances will stop working from time to time.

L 1633.33 per GCA member for a UK GCA headquarters.  I'm in....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »
So the value will only go up without the power plant...even if your appliances will stop working from time to time.

L 1633.33 per GCA member for a UK GCA headquarters.  I'm in....

Although it would never happen, that would be such a cool thing to do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back