News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Sleeman

Re:Indianwood
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »
I just played here for the first time on Saturday and had an absolute blast.  I was particularly surprised given that I hadn't heard too much about it beforehand.

My initial impression and feel was that it was something of a cross between Lawsonia and Crystal Downs.  I hope to return a few more times to get a better feel for the place, though it set up really well to my eye immediately.

I hope to get a bit more discussion going by bringing this thread back up - how many of you have played Indianwood Old and what are your thoughts?  How does it compare to other favorites in Michigan and beyond?

George Freeman

Re:Indianwood
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »
Played Indianwood Old for the first time this weekend and really enjoyed the course.  The rolling hills that the course was built over really add a lot of character and strategy, and Reid used them brilliantly IMO.  I stepped up to the 6th tee and couldn't help but notice how much it looked like Oakmont (specifically the views from the 3rd, 4th and 7th tees) and also to pictures I've seen of Crystal Downs. 

The hogbacks and blind (some semi-blind) drives and approach shots were only half the fun; the greens were a blast!  Lots of variance in size, and most were very sloped and undulating.  They were firm and very true, and I thought they played at a great speed.  Still very fast, but these greens would be VERY tough running at a 12. (Don't get me wrong, they weren't easy...I had 7 three-putts!!)

Some holes I thought were excellent:  #2, 4, 9!, 11, 14, 16, & 18!  The 18th green is one of the coolest greens I've seen.  They were absolutely huge, with massive undulations.  I hit my approach shot fat, and had a 30 YARD putt uphill to a pin perched at the edge of an internal ledge.  Needless to say, that was my 7th and final three-putt of the afternoon.  If anyone wants specific explanations of the holes above or any others, say the word.

A fantastic, fun, and quirky old course.  I really enjoyed it.

I hope to get a bit more discussion going by bringing this thread back up - how many of you have played Indianwood Old and what are your thoughts?  How does it compare to other favorites in Michigan and beyond?

Ditto to the statement above...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jfaspen

Re: Indianwood
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
As to the rest of Michigan,  I can tell you that I like it better than anything I've played.  (Note, I have not played Oakland Hills South, Kingsley or CD).  However, it is better than Oak North and from my memories of walking Oakland Hills South during the 1996 open, I'd put the old above it.

The one course that comes close is Arcadia Bluffs,  but I admit that my view is skewed because of my love for golfing on the water.

Jeff

Gerry B

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 03:52:32 AM »
Indianwood old is a gem:

other course in the area worth visiting:

Oakland Hills South
Franklin Hills
Meadowbrook
Bloomfield  - if you can get on

Chuck Brown

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »
Somebody mentioned The Orchards.  It has tournament-quality length, but otherwise I could never understand the attraction.  And, it is one of the handful of courses in the area (OHCC, Indianwood Old, U-M Golf Course, Barton Hills, CCD, DGC, etc.) to have hosted a USGA national championship.  (Ryan Moore won the USAPL at The Orchards in 2003.)

Can somebody explain The Orchards to me, because I'd like to like it...?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
I'm watching Indianwood right now (US Senior Open), and I'm really impressed.  Did they have a tree removal program, or was the club smart enough not to play along with the beautification movement in the old days?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
Was gonna start a thread, and saw this. Cool layout. Even though the scores are under par, I see a lot of struggles.

The 18th hole is pretty unique.... what a green.

A couple of the par-threes almost have thumbprints.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back