News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Team Canada 1, Team USA 0
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
Other than the fact that the match was played over the fine golfing grounds (Travis, restore/reno by Andrew) of Cherry Hill Club in Ridgeway, Ontario, this thread has nothing to do with golf course architecture and, as such, I forbid all commentary.

Messrs. Mark Saltzman and Matt Bosela thoroughly trounced Kevin Lynch and this poster, Ronald Montesano, in a better-ball match (they also won the four-hole press.) Saltzman putts like Moe Norman hit fairways; he doesn't miss. Bosela lurches at the ball in an unhuman way, until you realize that he's parred a dozen consecutive holes and owns your arse.

We have a rematch schedule, a month from now, at another Travis layout, Lookout Point in Fonthill, Ontario. Matt will be searching for golf in the Yukon Territory (or something salacious like that) so Ian Andrew will replace him. I'll keep you posted with the deets but remember, no commentary.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

Re: Team Canada 1, Team USA 0
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:54:48 PM »
Certainly a very enjoyable day on the links with fellow GCAers.

Though Ron says Team USA was "thoroughly trounced," that is an understatement. 

It seems metal-headed woods have not yet found their way to Western NY.

Looking forward to round 2!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
It was a fun day and I enjoyed picking up on the changes Ian has made at CH since I last played about 6 years ago.

Kevin was resplendent in his plus fours and I was extremely impressed seeing some hickory golf for the first time up close.  Ron is a steady player and as for Saltzman, well, obviously he still has time for short game practice in between posting photo tours.  Mark put on a clinic on the practice green before going out and continued to one-putt greens at will.  It was all really fun to watch.

As for "lurching at the ball in an unhuman way" - I must commend you Ron, as I've never been told my swing is ugly in such a polite manner! That, along with the four foot putt you gave me on the lovely par three 16th, was very Canadian of you!  :)

Looking forward to doing it again soon.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for getting taking the picture before the torturously out-of-synch downswing began.  That picture may be a keeper for my home office.  I must say that your framing of the picture was really impressive - almost as impressive as your 3rd birdie several minutes later.

I wish my first meeting with you & Matt hadn't come right in the middle of a full-on, "my swing feels like an unfolding lawn chair" funk.  I look forward to the rematch at Lookout Point in August.

Matt - Ron doesn't realize that you do swing like a human.  It's his robotic angle & lever simplicity that's unhuman.  But, given your birdie production, I wouldn't change a thing.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »
The "S" in Ronald S. Montesano stands for Controversy. Matt's swing is steady and repetitive, but there's no denying that a fury is borne as the hands start down toward the ball. I agree with Kev-we were SOOOO out-birdied. Actually, we didn't have a single one. Not a harbinger of victory.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Worth noting that CHC moved from unranked territory to number 77 in Canada by ScoreGolf in the Canadian top-100 released today.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
I'd love to speak with a rater that has played the renovated course and get her/his take on it. I like it a lot, but my bias is evident and unabashed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
And what's interesting to me is, they have Lookout at #85, the first evidence I've seen that Cherry Hill might be equal to or more respected than LP.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back