News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dunlop_White

I just reviewed an early pic of Hole 6 which has close greenside trees and a surrounding road that would have been visible in this photo if it were the green feature of Hole 6. I stand corrected.

Neil White

Hi,

I have reviewed recent photos of the course and have found a website with numerous photos of each hole on it.

http://www.atlantagolfpics.com/Augusta%20National/augustanational1.htm#thumb

On the set for the 8th there is a tree which leans at approx 20 degrees toward the fairway (third photo)

In the photo that Neil provided just to the left of the gap in the trees you can make out a tree which leans at a similar angle - in the space between the three trunks and the group of two trunks, indeed you can see the trunk of the leaning tree about 2/3rd of the way up.

I'll try and get a copy to highlight what I mean.

Neil.

Carson Pilcher

Another possibility to consider is that you are looking back at the 13th teeing area and the course in the background is Augusta Country Club.

I think it is #10, but throwing out an option that has not been discussed.

Bryan Drennon

Considering the fact that the angle is a little different, the new picture is from a flyover (and not ground level) and the 75 years between pics, I think this makes a decent argument. You can even see the way the ground on the outside of the dogleg tumbles down and to the left in both pictures. The only suspicious thing I can see in the pictures are the trees to the right of the blue arrow that aren't in the older picture. My guess would be that they added them at some point because someone was blowing it past them with their drive. Not that ANGC would add a bunch trees to a hole to make it harder  ;D.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:24:40 AM by Bryan Drennon »

Sven Nilsen

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kalen Braley

This has been a fun exercise guys.

Bryan seems to give a plausible explanation for the tree, and it certainly fits the "long view" model.  However, it still doesn't explain why the McKenzie bunker is completely not visible, as its very prominent in other similar pictures taken from the fairway.  Although I must admit, I "believe" my viewpoint less than I did yesterday.   :'(  8)

John_Cullum

Kalen

How many times have you seen the 10th hole in person?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kalen Braley

Kalen

Oh sure, you're going to pull a Pat Mucci!! 

The answer is nil....  but I did stay at  Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago.  ;)

Alex Miller

This has been a fun exercise guys.

Bryan seems to give a plausible explanation for the tree, and it certainly fits the "long view" model.  However, it still doesn't explain why the McKenzie bunker is completely not visible, as its very prominent in other similar pictures taken from the fairway.  Although I must admit, I "believe" my viewpoint less than I did yesterday.   :'(  8)

Kalen,

Given that you can't see the Mackenzie bunker in this photo:
why do you find its absence a problem in the old one? I think it is just farther around the corner.

John_Cullum

Kalen

Oh sure, you're going to pull a Pat Mucci!! 

The answer is nil....  but I did stay at  Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago.  ;)

It's not that. If you were familiar with the lay of the land and how the slope works, you would understand why you don't see the bunker
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Neil_Crafter

well if we needed a smoking gun here it is. Thanks to Sven's mention of Green jacket Auctions - where the Maxwell collection of photos were first sold - I have found another shot of the 10th that looks like it was taken further down the fairway so that the new Maxwell green is now visible, along with its bunkers as well as Mac's old greenside bunker that was retained. The trees at the left of my photo match perfectly with the trees at the right on this one. You can even see the gap between the trees at the far right.

Case closed I think.

Also, Bryan has highlighted the matching treetops, amazing that those pines look so similar after 75 years. Guess they were mature pines then and haven't grown any since.

Been a fun discussion! Thanks everyone.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back