News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Lincicome on Sebonack
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »
Has the USGA (or even the NY State Golf Assn.) held any kind of tournament at Sebonack as something of a dry run prior to the US Women's Open? I'm not trying to compare courses, but Erin Hills will have had a USGA public links tournament, a US Mid-Am qualifier, and the US Amateur (and maybe something else in the next five years) -- all before the US Open in 2017. That's no doubt (and he's acknowledged this) allowed Davis and the USGA staff to figure out what works, and what they'd like to change, out there. Any similar efforts at Sebonack?

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
Jeff:

Isn't a +1 women's handicap approximately equal to a 6 or 7 men's handicap?  They do have different formulas for the course ratings for men and women, and length is a huge part of the difference.

I'm not sure a +1 gets to 7. I'd have to assume she established that handicap from somewhere other than the ladies tees,and perhaps the course rating is 78ish with a high slope for a woman from those tees.

Mainly just busting Ben's chops though as a 12.4 is about a 14 or 15 and a stroke on every hole that's not a par 3 is a lot when we play, particularly if he is driving it 60 yards past a +1 woman. ;)
I'm still catching grief from my staff for "randomly"picking Ben as my partner when we played Palmetto the day after The Masters. ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:37:19 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Sims

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 09:58:12 PM »
Jeff:

Isn't a +1 women's handicap approximately equal to a 6 or 7 men's handicap?  They do have different formulas for the course ratings for men and women, and length is a huge part of the difference.

I'm not sure a +1 gets to 7. I'd have to assume she established that handicap from somewhere other than the ladies tees,and perhaps the course rating is 78ish with a high slope for a woman from those tees.

Mainly just busting Ben's chops though as a 12.4 is about a 14 or 15 and a stroke on every hole that's not a par 3 is a lot when we play, particularly if he is driving it 60 yards past a +1 woman. ;)
I'm still catching grief from my staff for "randomly"picking Ben as my partner when we played Palmetto the day after The Masters. ;D

I tried very hard to assuage their grief at The Bridge.  Now they know why I claim 12.4.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »

yup.   looking at pinehurst #2 for example.
from the white tees (6302y)
men 70.9/126
women 77.0/134

from the green tees (5843y)
men 68.2/122
women 74.1/128

from the red tees (5240y)
men - have no rating from this tee
women - 69.1/124

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 06:11:31 AM »

yup.   looking at pinehurst #2 for example.
from the white tees (6302y)
men 70.9/126
women 77.0/134

from the green tees (5843y)
men 68.2/122
women 74.1/128

from the red tees (5240y)
men - have no rating from this tee
women - 69.1/124

So there's about a six-stroke difference between the women's course rating and the men's, and a +1 woman would equate to a 5-handicap man.  But then the difference goes up as you get to higher handicaps, because of the difference in slope.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

Guys it does not get better than a Q&A with doak on one of his high profile courses. I think it was be a great success. A few of the ladies will talk for it is different than 99% of the courses they play. However she was one of the ladies if memory serves me correctly that played at Bandon dunes and the doak Pacific Dunes without comment. Maybe she was still wet behind the ears then.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »

Guys it does not get better than a Q&A with doak on one of his high profile courses. I think it was be a great success. A few of the ladies will talk for it is different than 99% of the courses they play. However she was one of the ladies if memory serves me correctly that played at Bandon dunes and the doak Pacific Dunes without comment. Maybe she was still wet behind the ears then.

Tiger:

By "she" are you talking about Brittany Lincicome?  When did she play in Bandon?  She wasn't on the Curtis Cup team in 2006.

Ben Sims

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »

Tiger,

I agree.  The involvement here is as close to the source as it gets.  Sebonack is such an interesting golf course.  In so many places you see greatness, and then something causes you to scratch your head.  I think it is a fantastic case study on so many different levels.  The other interesting thing about Sebonack, is that from 6200-6600 yds it is a hell of a good time.  I bet at 7000+ plus, it is maddening.  

That's why I am very interested in how it stands up to play, scrutiny, and tweaking next summer.  If I am not mistaken, it is the first major on a course that Tom has been involved.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:19:13 AM by Ben Sims »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »
Tom that is where memory may be failing me for I thought she was on the Curtis Cup team or played in the US Women's Public Links. I was wrong it seems. I still think the course will help make the event a success.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:50:50 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
Duke should incorporate tricks into its curriculum. For what it charges students, trickery should be among the minimum of expectations.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back