News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Something happening at gWest finally?
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »
New website is up and running - it doesn't give an opening date for the course though!

http://www.gwest.co.uk/index.php
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kris Shreiner

Re: Something happening at gWest finally?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
That excuse for a clubhouse is grotesque. The mini-Taj II in the Highlands? That scheme has no chance if they countinue to make calls like endorsing that.  :o

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
I don't know much (read anything) about Colen Campbell, after whose work it's supposed to be patterned, but I guess the 'inspiration' was something like this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mereworth_Castle_Vitruvius_Britannicus1.jpg. I agree the visualisation isn't inspiring.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
The photos on the hole by hole tour are a little small to pick out a lot of the feature work, but the 13th hole photo surely got my attention!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
I'll take Monroe GC, thank you very  much.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
That excuse for a clubhouse is grotesque. The mini-Taj II in the Highlands? That scheme has no chance if they countinue to make calls like endorsing that.  :o

Cheers,
Kris

The money behind this project is middle eastern.  For them guys, that clubhouse is the epitome of restraint!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
The photos on the hole by hole tour are a little small to pick out a lot of the feature work, but the 13th hole photo surely got my attention!

Indeed.  Looks like something out of Disney World.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
The 18th looks like it might be a triple wide fw.  Pretty cool on plan.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »

That pic is certainly computer generated.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »
Instantly jumps into the "Top 10 Ugliest Clubhouses" list with a bullet...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »

Cheers,
Kris

The money behind this project is middle eastern.  For them guys, that clubhouse is the epitome of restraint!

I was chatting with a client who works for one of the few Property Companies still actively buying. I asked him how they were able to find finance when everyone else was complaining about the banks not giving any out. He explained that once they’ve identified a purchase the boss just calls up some of his friends and says “We’re going to buy X, so pump some more money out of the ground and bring it over PDQ!”
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
Nice one Adam. When I drove past it on Sunday night I was thinking I should post to see if you knew when it was likely to open. The last few weeks the holes nearest the A9 have been quite visible as you drive by. Also noticed sand in the bunkers for the first time. You can also see the clubhouse from the A9 and it looks bigger in real life than in the computer produced graphic. Had to laugh at the bit where it refers to the car parking being covered so as not to spoil the view.

Anyway, back to the course. Can't say the photos of it gets my golfing juices going. It certainly seems quite tame after the Castle course. I wonder if that was a reaction to some of the criticism it received.

Adam, I think I'm right in saying you have walked the course, do the photos do it justice ?

Niall

Daryl David

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
Did someone turn the clock back to 2004?  What makes them think this private club model will work now?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

LOL. I was kind of enjoying the pictures until it came to the 13th.  WTF did that come from?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
Is this located in glacial land with eskers and kames?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
Garland

No expert but I believe so. Its slap bang next door to the Gleneagles courses with similar terrain.

Niall

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »
David McLay Kidd seems to be channeling Melvyn's famous ancestor when he is quoted as saying:  "Without question, the best inland site I have ever seen for a golf course… this plot bears the same amazing topography as James Braid's King's Course."

What was it that OTA was supposed to have said about every course he designed. something like "The good Lord had golf on his mind when he created this land"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back