News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #700 on: September 30, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
Adam/Bryan,

Interesting comments on the shaping of fairways versus green surrounds. I tried to say the same thing in a cack-handed way previously and I even recall Mark P commented on the flatness of the fairways from purely studying photos. Its like they created big broad flat landing areas offering little by way of lateral movement on a running ball. Basically you get what you hit. Nice course, very good even but great ?

Niall  

Bill Gayne

« Reply #701 on: September 30, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »
I was at Trump International on Saturday and my observations are as follows:

It has the same positive vibe and energy as when Doonbeg opened (hopefully they can find an economic model that works).

There are some very good holes, dramatic tee shots, big vistas, and a staff that is friendly, wanting to serve, and informative.

They have some things to fix: the grass isn’t right, too many bunkers, fairway bunkers are way to penal, mid to high handicappers who are the economic lifeblood will struggle, pace of play at 4:50-5:00 average (should require caddies or forecaddies with all groups to keep things moving).  I’m not sure how they make the walk easier without routing changes.

Played 36 at Cruden Bsy today and it’s awesome!

Sean_A

« Reply #702 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
Do folks think Trump may be up for some changes/tweeks to the course?  Could Trump Aberdeen be another Crooked Stick?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #703 on: October 02, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »
Sean,

What did you pay for a greens fee?  Are you recommending the course for your travel clients?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Taylor

« Reply #704 on: October 02, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
^ very good Brian!

;D

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #705 on: October 23, 2013, 04:11:10 AM »
From Alan Shipnucks No Country for Auld Men article:
http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/scotland-golf-buddies-trip-st-andrews-north-berwick-muirfield-trump-scotland-and-kings

It was two and a half hours north to the Trump International Golf Links. The drives were beginning to get lonelier, as two people were invariably asleep, leaving only a driver and navigator to titter about the signage (warnings for “Elderly people”, the town of Gash).

It was after 4 p.m. when we arrived. While I was smearing Body Glide on my thighs in the bathroom, the boys migrated to the driving range, the first one we had seen on the entire trip. I joined them and we were all whacking balls with glee when Matt said, “What the hell are we doing to ourselves?” We marched to the first tee.

On the opening holes, it’s impossible not to be dazzled by Trump’s rugged dunes, which are taller than any I’ve ever seen on a golf course. But eventually the dunes never really come into play -- they just frame the holes, and the playing field is kind of flat and ordinary. A round at Trump is like going through a stack of Playboys -- you appreciate the beauty, but at some point it all starts to look kinda the same. The greens are another problem. Multi-tiered with sharp edges, they look wildly out of place in such a natural setting. The fairways are pretty narrow given the breezes, and there’s no wispy rough here -- a couple of feet off the short grass and you’re dead. I wasn’t hitting it badly, but I lost a ball three holes in a row to close the front nine.

On a trip like this it’s a mental challenge to not get discouraged. You know you’re outrageously lucky to be playing these courses, but bad shots still hurt, and maybe even more so because so much effort has gone into getting to that very spot and you know you may never get back to try it again. On the 10th tee, I resolved to play my absolute hardest, and even though I was still fighting my swing, I produced some of my best golf of the trip. It was getting dark as we arrived on the 18th tee. It’s a 586-yard par-5 that was playing more like 700 yards in the cold, heavy air. I hit a strong drive and two flushed hybrids and was still short of the green. A pretty good chip left me a four-footer for par. Everyone else was in with a bogey. Tom had carried me for most of the team match, but with one putt I could take the team match and trump Matt, too. I drilled it.

We stayed on-site and the room was a hoot -- it looked as though Louis XIV had designed it himself. There was a huge tub and sometime around midnight I collapsed into a scalding hot bath. My thumb throbbed, my toe was bleeding, my back ached, my inner thighs were raw and my cheeks still tingled from wind-burn. But laying there in the bath I replayed the 18th hole over and over and I couldn’t have been happier.

Britt Rife

« Reply #706 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I see you didn't quote this part of the article regarding Trump:

"We had breakfast at the Trump clubhouse. It was not a success. Tom is still grumbling about having paid the equivalent of six dollars for a cup of coffee. Our $12 selection of breads came with three bite-sized pastries and a few pieces of dry toast. Kevin counted exactly 11 pieces of granola in his parfait. Somehow this meal crystallized our feelings about the golf course. “This place has no soul,” said Kevin."

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #707 on: October 23, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
I see you didn't quote this part of the article regarding Trump:

I do apologise !

But it makes a change to be accused of being a Trump Lover, rather than a Trump Hater.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #708 on: March 05, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10678145/Donald-Trump-I-wasnt-accepted-at-first-but-I-will-always-take-on-and-beat-my-opponents-especially-Alex-Salmond.html

While the new Doral, with its $250 million makeover, will, from the perspective of professional sport, produce the headlines as Tiger Woods and the rest of the world’s top 50 do battle over the ensuing four days, none of his projects has or probably ever will generate the column inches of the Trump International Golf Links on the Menie estate.

“Look, it was very controversial,” he says. “There were these dunes that couldn’t be walked on and I saw them and said, ‘Congratulations I want to build this massive incredible golf course’. And I got the approvals and everybody was shocked. Nobody thought it would be possible.

"Then I have these few fighting me, nothing I couldn’t handle, but it meant I was always on the front page and I was getting all this publicity, with this dreadful documentary being made. And you know what, if there hadn’t been all this then I don’t think it would be successful. Who the hell would even know it was there? Now everyone does.”

Don’t they just. No golf course has caused anywhere near as much fuss.

The nadir – or it could, ironically, be classed as the zenith, according to Trump – came with the release of You’ve Been Trumped, a documentary in 2011 by the British filmmaker Anthony Baxter, which was hailed as a real life “Local Hero” as it focused on a few of the long-term residents by that beach in Balmedie.

Trump was portrayed as the developer willing to bulldozer lives for his ambition.

“It was made by someone who never even spoke to us,” Donald says. “They went to two neighbours. By the way the 30 other neighbours love us, but the documentary only talked about what a horrible person I am.

“I’m so horrible that the local paper there, the Evening Express, did a thing on ‘the Trump Effect’ and said that business is up 37 per cent in that area; everything is booming because what I built there. And they actually really like me. I have a 93 per cent positive rating in that part of the world. It’s a great relationship.”

Yet this relationship has hit an impasse. The headlines have kept on coming as Trump has stalled work on the proposed 450-bedroom hotel, conference facilities and residential developments and withdrew a planning application for a second course.

“I’ll not be making any further investment while Scotland and Alex Salmond have this death wish with the windmills,” Donald says. “They want to destroy Aberdeen Bay with these monstrosities that after three years will be left to rust and abandoned. These ridiculous subsidised wind turbines kill the birds, are dangerous for air travel and are what nobody really wants.

“And the stupid thing is my job there is a £1 billion job and is a much bigger job than the windmills, which is £210 million. And my job is a positive thing.

“Salmond wants to destroy the country, wants to put up 17,000 of these things. But we’ll win that battle. I’m hearing he is doing very poorly in the referendum debate. Well look, he released [Abdelbaset] al-Megrahi and any man who lets go a terrorist who killed 270 people is not a man who I’d want making decisions. But that’s another story.”

With Trump all the stories tend to merge. Be certain that part of the objective of last month’s purchase of Doonbeg, the stunning links and hotel in Co Clare, was showing the Scots what they were missing. He shrugs his shoulders when asked about the possibility of staging the Scottish Open, or even The Open, and the whispers of him lining up bids for one or more of Scotland’s best-known links. Stop the windmills, first.

“I’ll focus all my energies over there on Doonbeg,” Donald says. “It was one I always wanted. It’s funny, when I was planning the clubhouse in Scotland, I sent my entire team to Doonbeg to look at that stunning stonework and I said ‘Do you think they’d ever sell this place?’ ‘Oh no’, I was told ‘they’re very rich people’. Well, they weren’t so rich.

“One of the reasons I got it was because I completed the deal in a day. Less than a day. I made the offer in the morning and they had the cheque an hour later. It’s going to be phenomenal.

"The thing is, Doonbeg has this incredible piece of land but they didn’t use it because they couldn’t get the permits. I’ll get those permits. My history says I will. I’ve got them my whole life. I’ve got them for Scotland, I’ve got them for this place.”

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #709 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
Confirmation he's going after the untouched dunes at Doonbeg then.

I believe Martin Hawtree has already been there looking at renovation work after the storm damage.

EDIT - Just saw the other thread where Jack posted a link to this being confirmed
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:24:43 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #710 on: June 25, 2014, 03:51:42 AM »
Not the Trump Way   :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2666829/Head-chef-Donald-Trumps-luxury-Scottish-golf-resort-sacked-staff-bake-shortbread-willy-post-Facebook.html

Head chef at Donald Trump's luxury Scottish golf resort sacked after staff bake shortbread 'willy' and post it on his Facebook
By SAM WEBB
PUBLISHED: 24 June 2014

A chef at a prestigious golf resort owned by U.S. billionaire Donald Trump was fired after his staff baked a penis-shaped shortbread - even though he was on a day off when it happened.

Scott Mcmillan, 39, lost his job at Trump International Golf Links at Menie Park Lodge in Balmedie, near Aberdeen in Scotland, after his colleagues in the clubhouse kitchen made the suggestive biscuit and posted it on his Facebook page with the message 'For Scott'.

After noticing he had been taken off the rota, Scott had a meeting with HR staff and was told the behaviour is not the 'Trump way'.

Another two chefs also lost their jobs as a result of the phallic shortbread.

Mr Mcmillan, of Aberdeen, told The Sun: 'I wasn't there and had absolutely nothing to do with it.

'It was the guys having a laugh - something that's happened in every kitchen I've ever worked in.

'Sacking people who have worked hard for the company over something as petty as this is pretty rough.'

He added that bosses confronted him with nine pages of pictures from his Facebook account, even though he claims his private account has nothing to do with his employers.

A spokesperson for Trump said: 'We make no apology for terminating the contracts of a number of individuals for gross misconduct on our property.

'We offer a world class service and customers in our hotel, restaurant and golf complex are our number one priority.

'We will not tolerate unprofessionalism of any kind and so we took immediate action to protect the interests of our business and guests.'

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #711 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:38 AM »
Me thinks there will be an unfair dismissal to follow soon ::)

Jon

Paul Gray

« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
What a co@k!  ;)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #713 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Once you take your business/occupational life and post it on a public site you cross the line.

The "biscuit" was baked in Trump's kitchen.

If there was a swimming pool at Trump's resort and the lifeguards posed at the pool in photos depicting sexual behavior and those photos were posted on their Facebook pages, would Trump be justified in firing them ?

Now pretend that it was a Hilton or Marriott resort, would you feel differently ?

Would these posts have been made.?

Get over your nit picking

Niall C

« Reply #714 on: June 25, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
'We offer a world class service and customers in our hotel, restaurant and golf complex are our number one priority."

So when exactly did he build the hotel ?

Niall

Howard Riefs

« Reply #715 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
'We offer a world class service and customers in our hotel, restaurant and golf complex are our number one priority."

So when exactly did he build the hotel ?

Niall

Milne Manor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394484/Donald-Trump-puts-barrier-trees-Scottish-neighbours-home.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Paul Gray

« Reply #716 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
Pat,

No one has passed judgement here, just noted the story and had a bit of fun with it.

God help me for saying it but, either way, it was a lose-lose situation for Trump.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Scott Warren

« Reply #717 on: June 25, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »
Alternate headline: "Golf resort staff bake biscuit in owner's likeness"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #718 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
Pat,

No one has passed judgement here, just noted the story and had a bit of fun with it.

God help me for saying it but, either way, it was a lose-lose situation for Trump.

Paul,

I'll grant you that he's an easy target, but, if this was a Marriot or Hilton it wouldn't get half the attention.

Paul Gray

« Reply #719 on: June 26, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
Pat,

Paul,

I'll grant you that he's an easy target, but, if this was a Marriot or Hilton it wouldn't get half the attention.

Well, live by the sword....

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #720 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:29 AM »
http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/film/spotlight-on-alex-salmond-in-new-donald-trump-film-1-3460181

Spotlight on Alex Salmond in new Donald Trump film
by BRIAN FERGUSON
Published on the
29 June

A HARD-hitting new documentary investigating Donald Trump’s contentious golf resort in Aberdeenshire is set to put the First Minister in an uncomfortable spotlight when it is released in cinemas two weeks before the independence referendum.

Alex Salmond features prominently in Anthony Baxter’s film A Dangerous Game voicing his support for Trump’s plans and the promised jobs bonanza it was meant to deliver.

The SNP leader is also heavily criticised in the film by residents of the Menie Estate for ignoring problems allegedly caused by work on the golf resort. Salmond refused to answer any of Baxter’s questions or to be interviewed.

The director told an event at the Edinburgh International Film Festival that Salmond had twice agreed to be interviewed but pulled out on both occasions. He was unable to secure the promised interview before the film, which is being funded by both the BBC and the Scottish Government’s own arts agency, Creative Scotland, had to be finished.

Baxter revealed a deal had been struck during the film festival to release A Dangerous Game in Cineworld and Picturehouse venues across the UK in September. Scottish cinemas will show the documentary from 5 September.

Baxter also revealed that coverage in The Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday’s sister paper, of the coveted “Top Scot Spirit of Scotland” award for Menie resident Michael Forbes had helped inspire the new film – after he was summoned to see Trump’s son Donald Jnr and later secured an interview with the billionaire tycoon himself in New York.

By contrast, he said he tried for four years to persuade Salmond to speak about his role in the saga.

The new film – shortlisted for the audience award at the festival – sees Baxter return to Menie to look at the impact of the initial Trump golf course and revisit local campaigners who fought against the development.

It has been dramatically scaled back since Trump first announced his plans for the area, with the tycoon blaming plans for an offshore wind farm that was at the centre of a bitter dispute with Mr Salmond’s government, who had earlier overturned a decision by councillors to reject the development.

The film-maker also travels to Dubrovnik, in Croatia, and the United States to look at other controversial golf resorts and the protests they have triggered from environmentalists.

Baxter said: “It is very important to be able to challenge people in power, but it’s also important to challenge politicians as well.

“In a way, the film is not so much about Trump, but about democracy. It breaks down when people who are elected to represent us fail to do so or refuse to do so.

“Trump was just one part of the story – a billionaire who is so powerful and has been given access to decision-makers.”

Part of Baxter’s film – a follow up to his 2011 documentary You’ve Been Trumped – explores difficulties endured by the residents who took on Trump, some of whom claim they have to use water from a local burn because they cannot get anyone to repair damaged systems.

Forbes, a farmer and part-time salmon fisherman, is particularly critical of Salmond in the film for his lack of interest in their plight.

Baxter told Scotland on Sunday: “Over a period of months, Mr Salmond’s office postponed, rescheduled, postponed, and then finally agreed to an interview. And then cancelled the whole thing at the last minute.

“Among other things, we wanted to ask the First Minister about the effect of the Trump golf course development on local residents, including a 90-year-old woman who hasn’t had a proper water supply for four years, and about what happened to the 6,000 jobs his government promised when approving the development.

“The residents lived in Alex Salmond’s constituency long before Donald Trump bought the coastline.

“One of the things we wanted to show is that even after this great outpouring of public support for the residents and especially for Michael Forbes – even after he won Scotsman of the Year and was even congratulated by Alex Salmond – the Trump Organisation continued to make their lives extremely difficult.

“And the residents were just as helpless as they were before.”

Among those critical of Salmond in the film is folk singer Karine Polwart, one of the leading cultural figures in the Yes movement, who wrote an acclaimed song inspired by the Trump saga in Aberdeenshire. She attended the premiere of the film in Edinburgh last week. She said: “He’s the First Minister of Scotland and the local constituency MP. A lot of people are disappointed. Until we have a proper explanation of why it occurred there’s always the possibility it could happen again.”

Leading land reform campaigner Andy Wightman, who also attended the screening last week, said the key issue over the handling of the Trump development in Aberdeenshire was the fact that local democracy had been “corrupted”.

Last night a Scottish Government spokesman said: “Clearly, it would not have been appropriate for the First Minister to undertake an interview at a time when the Trump Organisation was pursuing a judicial review through the Court of Session of the Scottish Government’s decision to grant consent for the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre.”

Forbes himself predicted he had not seen the last of Trump in Aberdeenshire, despite his insistence he was turning his back on further investment at the resort.

He said: “I’m expecting him to be back again. He hasn’t just dumped things and left – he’ll come back.”

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #721 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:32 AM »
Overkill

Niall C

« Reply #722 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »
Difficult to tell from that Scotsman article what the focus of the film is actually about. Is it about abuse of power by the politicians or is it some all golf development is bad type of piece. I haven't seen the first film so don't know what it covered but it just strikes me that the time for making this kind of documentary has been and gone.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #723 on: July 10, 2014, 03:33:32 AM »
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/golf/scottish-open-phil-mickelson-hails-3837183

The five-times Major winner was impressed by what he saw and reckons designer Martin Hawtree has built a classic old-style links on a scale that matches the modern demands of today’s golf technology.

Mickelson said: “What I really enjoyed about the Trump course is it’s really a traditional links golf course but it’s on a modern-day scale. So the fairways are at a more proportional width for hitting drivers.

“The holes are longer where driver is the play and the bunkers are placed properly for hitting drivers, 3‑woods and long irons off tees.

“Whereas at many of the Open Championship courses we play we end up hitting a lot of irons off tees to try to circumvent or navigate around the bunkering. They don’t have the same modern-day scale.

“I thought the Trump course was sensational.

Paul Gray

« Reply #724 on: July 10, 2014, 05:31:58 AM »
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/golf/scottish-open-phil-mickelson-hails-3837183

“The holes are longer where driver is the play and the bunkers are placed properly for hitting drivers, 3‑woods and long irons off tees.

“Whereas at many of the Open Championship courses we play we end up hitting a lot of irons off tees to try to circumvent or navigate around the bunkering. They don’t have the same modern-day scale."..........

Anyone as confused by that comment as I am?

If you navigate around a bunker with an iron, presumably you simply fly it with a driver. Is Phil suggesting bunkers should not be positioned in such a way so to make players play around them, i.e. strategic bunkering?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back