News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:28 AM »
If the golf course is widely acclaimed as being amongst the top 10 in the UK, would that have any bearing on the selection process or will the selection be solely a financial decision ?

That sounds like a pretty big if given the competition.  The Ryder Cup is probably their best bet however, since it usually seems to go to the highest bidder in Europe.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
If the golf course is widely acclaimed as being amongst the top 10 in the UK, would that have any bearing on the selection process or will the selection be solely a financial decision ?

Patrick - given the recent European Ryder Cup venues, haven't you answered your own question - Celtic Manor, K Club, Belfry. Only Valderrama has any real pedigree.

Valderrama's pedigree is mostly based on money, too, isn't it really?

The change in venue for the Scottish Open (as I posted on the other thread) is all about the change of sponsors.  The new sponsor is Aberdeen Asset Management.  As Woodward and Bernstein said -- follow the money.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #277 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:35 AM »
http://www.scotsman.com/news/donald-trump-s-aberdeenshire-hotel-plan-to-go-ahead-1-2563833

Donald Trump’s Aberdeenshire hotel plan to go ahead
By ALASTAIR MUNRO
Published on Friday 5 October 2012

US TYCOON Donald Trump performed a dramatic U-turn yesterday by announcing “one of Europe’s best hotels” would go ahead next to his Aberdeenshire golf course – despite previously saying no more investment would be made while plans for an 11-turbine wind farm were still being considered.

The tycoon jetted into Scotland as Scottish Natural Heritage became the latest organisation to drop its opposition to the proposed wind farm.

He had pledged he would not spend an extra penny on his £750 million championship golf links at the Menie Estate while the offshore wind farm remained a possibility. But he said yesterday that he was now “ready” to create the best hotel Scotland had ever seen.

The celebrity businessman also warned he was planning a “massive lawsuit” in relation to the wind farm – which he claims would ruin the view for golfers at his course, which saw a lavish opening ceremony in July.

Mr Trump, who flew in by private jet to Aberdeen Airport, said: “I’m ready to build a hotel. It will be the best hotel in Scotland and one of the best hotels in Europe. Everybody wants to be near our course.”

He had previously outlined his vision for a luxury 450-room hotel, spa and hundreds of holiday homes when he bought up land on the estate several years ago. But his five-star proposal looked doomed when plans were revealed for the wind farm in the sea off the coast from the links.

Mr Trump entered into a war of words with First Minister Alex Salmond over the SNP’s energy vision for Scotland and vowed to fight wind farms across the country.

But it seems the businessman, who appears in the reality television show US Apprentice, has now had a change of heart over downing tools on his development.

Mr Trump yesterday claimed the EOWDC – designed by Vattenfall, Technip, and the Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group – could consist of mismatched, unsightly turbines each created by a different manufacturer.

He said: “This will end up looking like a poor man’s Disney Land. We want to do something to help Scotland.

“We will fight it. We have good lawyers. There is a really terrible thing going on and it’s all because Alex Salmond has a death wish for Scotland.”

The billionaire also hit out at plans for a wind farm 3.5 miles of the coast from the championship Turnberry course in Ayrshire.

A Marine Scotland study identifying the spot as a potential site for massive turbines was this week blasted by Euro MP Struan Stevenson.

It is feared the iconic views across the Firth of Clyde from the golf course could be blighted by the wind farm.

Mr Trump said: “I think it is very destructive to Turnberry. I think it will have a huge negative impact.

“It will no longer be the place it is and will suffer tremendously in terms of tourism.”

Patrick Harvie, Green MSP for Glasgow, said: “The Aberdeen Bay project is crucial to Scotland’s low carbon future. The project has the potential to transform our reliance on fossil fuels and generate millions of pounds for our economy.

“Mr Trump is entirely isolated on this development and sounds increasingly eccentric on the whole issue. I urge the Scottish Government to do all it can to prevent such an important project from being delayed by the deep pockets of someone so ill-informed, self-interested and litigious.”

Niall C

« Reply #278 on: October 05, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »
If Donald actually had a legal case about the wind turbines spoiling his views, would his neighbours not have a similar case against him considering all the bunding and tree planting he's done that block out their views ? Of course, he doesn't have a case, and its just more nonsense that gets him a lot of publicity. The Scotsman purports to be a quality newspaper so you would think it about time that it inserted at least a smidgen of editorial comment into Trumps press releases.

BTW, is anyone actually surprised he's going ahead with the hotel ? Look out for the next news splash re the residential elemnt of the development.

Niall

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #279 on: October 05, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »
Brian,

I thought many replying on this thread indicated that Trump would never proceed with building the hotel ?

Seems contrary to their stated claims and that he's continuing with the next phase of the project as planned.

Can the residential phase be far behind ?

Jud_T

« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »

“Everybody wants to be near our course.”

No hyperbole there.  Honestly, between my own Trump biases and my insistence that water views on golf courses are overrated this may be the poster child of courses to test whether it's possible to be truly impartial when judging GCA.  I may have to give it a go as a Rorschach Test if nothing else.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall C

« Reply #281 on: October 05, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
Brian,

I thought many replying on this thread indicated that Trump would never proceed with building the hotel ?

Seems contrary to their stated claims and that he's continuing with the next phase of the project as planned.

Patrick

Far be it for me to interject in your friendly banter with Brian, but those that gave an opinion on this thread, and others, that Trump wouldn't go ahead with the hotel (of which I wasn't one BTW) were stating an opinion. When Donald said he wasn't going ahead, surely he was stating his intent which is a good bit more fundamental to the whole saga. So, in your opinion Patrick, when Donald said he wasn't going to go ahead with the hotel/residential element of the development while the wind turbine development was still a live prospect (which I believe it still is) was he lying through his teeth knowing fine well he would be going ahead with the hotel etc in any case or does he know something about the wind turbine project that we don't (such as that it won't make a blind bit of difference to either the views or have an economic impact on Donalds development) ?

As you're someone who's son has met the Donald, your views are eagerly awaited.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
To be honest, I don't think most Scots are interested in what Mr. Trump has to say. As I have said all along, subtle is the way to handle this best but I Donald doesn't do subtle.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
To be honest, I don't think most Scots are interested in what Mr. Trump has to say. As I have said all along, subtle is the way to handle this best but I Donald doesn't do subtle.

Jon,

All I know is that Trump got done what few could accomplish.

You may not like his style, but he gets the results he wants.

If most Scots aren't interested why is he getting headlines ?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

Jon,

Patrick,

where were these headlines in the scottish newspapers that you talk of. All I have found are a few small pieces inside the papers.

Jon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »

Jon,

Patrick,

where were these headlines in the scottish newspapers that you talk of. All I have found are a few small pieces inside the papers.
Jon,

So now you're saying that Trump and his project flew under the radar, that hardly anyone was aware of it, save for a few small pieces inside the papers ?

Please.

If you'll go back through this thread you'll find plenty of references to newspaper articles that made headlines.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
Patrick,

I was refering to his latest outbursts. Also Patrick where did I say 'hardly anyone was aware of it'?.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Patrick,

I was refering to his latest outbursts.

You didn't say that, you were open ended in your comment.

Also Patrick where did I say 'hardly anyone was aware of it'?.

You implied same by stating that only a few small pieces could be found inside of the papers, indicating that it wasn't headline news

Sean_A

« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
Jon,
All I know is that Trump got done what few could accomplish.

This is about the only thing Pat wrote on the Trump threads which has any validity.  The sentence should be in a different colour ink to differentiate it from the bric a brac he comes out with.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
Patrick,

I was refering to his latest outbursts.

You didn't say that, you were open ended in your comment.

With your incredible ability to e able to deduce so much that is not said you should have had no problem realising my comments are about his latest statement ;)

Also Patrick where did I say 'hardly anyone was aware of it'?.

You implied same by stating that only a few small pieces could be found inside of the papers, indicating that it wasn't headline news

Patrick, the FACT that it wasn't on the front page of any Scottish paper I saw (or you have) means it was not headline news. That I pointed out this FACT does not infer that hardly anyone was aware of the Trump project is.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
Jon,

It would seem that Trump's recent statement, that he's proceeding with the hotel phase of the project, has resulted in many on this site having their faces covered with egg.

While the economy isn't good, in a good economy why wouldn't he proceed with that phase of the project ?

From the reviews I've heard from people I know personally, who have played the golf course, it's an excellent course that should get better in time.
If that's the case, and I have no reason to doubt it, a quality hotel would seem to be a necessity, wouldn't you agree ?

So why are some so surprised that he's proceeding ?

In the ultimate, isn't a terrific golf course with a nearby quality hotel in everyone's best interest ?

If so, why the angst directed at "The Donald" ?  ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
Proper accommodations are sorely needed in the area. In talking with a good many locals I learned that lots of hotel and b&b rooms are tied up weekly by the oil companies who need accommodations for their workers and executives. Some B&Bs will reply they are fully booked when in reality the rooms are empty... the oil companies have paid to have the rooms "on hold."
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #292 on: October 07, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »
Brian,

Patrick

Far be it for me to interject in your friendly banter with Brian, but those that gave an opinion on this thread, and others, that Trump wouldn't go ahead with the hotel (of which I wasn't one BTW) were stating an opinion. When Donald said he wasn't going ahead, surely he was stating his intent which is a good bit more fundamental to the whole saga. So, in your opinion Patrick, when Donald said he wasn't going to go ahead with the hotel/residential element of the development while the wind turbine development was still a live prospect (which I believe it still is) was he lying through his teeth knowing fine well he would be going ahead with the hotel etc in any case or does he know something about the wind turbine project that we don't (such as that it won't make a blind bit of difference to either the views or have an economic impact on Donalds development) ?

Niall

Bump

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #293 on: October 07, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

Patrick

Far be it for me to interject in your friendly banter with Brian, but those that gave an opinion on this thread, and others, that Trump wouldn't go ahead with the hotel (of which I wasn't one BTW) were stating an opinion.

When Donald said he wasn't going ahead, surely he was stating his intent which is a good bit more fundamental to the whole saga.

Niall, that's called a ploy, not a measure of true intent.

So, in your opinion Patrick, when Donald said he wasn't going to go ahead with the hotel/residential element of the development while the wind turbine development was still a live prospect (which I believe it still is) was he lying through his teeth knowing fine well he would be going ahead with the hotel etc in any case or does he know something about the wind turbine project that we don't (such as that it won't make a blind bit of difference to either the views or have an economic impact on Donalds development) ?

Niall, with New York City so close by, people in this neck of the woods don't take "The Donald's" spoken word as the Gospel.
He's prone to making statements to further his position, statements which aren't a reflection of his very practical minded objective.
It's a combination of bluffing, bullying and leveraging.
It's worked very well for him.

i've met him a number of times and spoke with him about this project as recently as two weeks ago.

What many aren't aware of is his passion for golf and his golf projects.

He's very enthusiastic about this project and is emotionally invested in this project.
He wants it to succeed, he wants it to be great course and facility.

What's wrong with that ?

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »
LoL  ::)

Niall C

« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »
Patrick

I'm with you, you're very tackfully saying that Donald was lying when he said he wouldn't develop further unless the wind turbine project was scrapped. Yes, it is a game of bluff and a not unknown business tactic, however you only get away with it once hence Wee Eck calling him out on the wind turbine issue.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Patrick,

I am very impressed with Donald Trump's business sense to date but I think he would have been better showing his enthusiasm for golf rather than brashly calling anyone who disagreed with him a hater of Scotland. Calling the RSPB a group dedicated to killing birds is not going to help him. These bodies can cause real problems as he will probably find out and his organisation has upset quite a few bodies to date.

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
 ::)  ::)  ::)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/donald-trump-calls-for-global-boycott-of-whisky-distiller-after-top-scot-award-given-to-anti-golf-course-campaigner-1-2676188

Donald Trump calls for global boycott of whisky distiller after Top Scot award given to anti-golf course campaigner
By FRANK URQUHART
Published on Wednesday 5 December 2012

DONALD Trump today announced he is to ban all the whiskies produced by one of Scotland’s leading distillery companies in retaliation for Glenfiddich awarding its Top Scot accolade to Michael Forbes, the salmon fisherman on the Menie estate he once branded a “village idiot.”

The billionaire tycoon, who has been at loggerheads with his kilted nemesis since Mr Forbes refused to sell his home to make way for Trump’s £750 million golf resort in Aberdeenshire, is also calling for a global boycott of the whiskies produced by William Grant and Sons, branding them the “bad liquor company.”

Trump issued a statement today, announcing his ban on William Grant and Son whiskies at Trump properties after launching a vitriolic Twitter tirade against Glenfiddich, claiming the company’s decision to award Mr Forbes the “Top Scot” of the year accolade, ahead of other contenders like Billy Connolly, Andy Murray and Sir Chris Hoy, was a “publicity stunt”.

A spokesman for William Grant and Sons said: “We understand that there may have been some confusion and misunderstanding concerning the structure and running of the Glenfiddich Spirit of Scotland Awards.

“Working with Scotsman Publications as our media partner, Glenfiddich established the awards fifteen years ago. From the outset it was made clear that winners would be chosen by public vote.

Top Scot is a totally open category in which the people of Scotland can vote for whomsoever they choose and Glenfiddich has no influence on this decision.

“The only restriction (given that these are the Spirit of Scotland Awards) is that the nominee must be either a Scot or someone who has chosen to live and work in Scotland.

“The Top Scot may be one of that year’s category nominees or may come from any walk of life. The person receiving the greatest number of votes, cast by the people of Scotland, wins the award.”

He continued: “Throughout the awards fifteen-year history Glenfiddich and its media partner The Scotsman have always honoured the public’s decision and the individual with the most votes has received the accolade.

“In the history of these awards, we are not aware of the Top Scot award causing any offence or upset to anyone and it is not our intention to do so now. These awards were set up to give the people of Scotland a vote and we must respect their decision.”

The spokesman declined to comment on Trump’s boycott call.

The billionaire angrily tweeted: “Michael Forbes lives in a pigsty and bad liquor company Glenfiddich gave him Scot of the Year award. How could Michael Forbes get Scot of the Year when he lost—badly—to me and Andy Murray, a true Scot, who won the U.S. Open & Olympic gold? Does anyone smell publicity stunt?

“Michael Forbes is a loser who failed to stop what was just named ‘the golf course of the year’ and which has brought lots of tourism and jobs to Scotland—Scots must be very embarrassed?”
In his statement from Trump Towers the US business magnate declares: “To think that a product like Glenfiddich would recognise a man like Michael Forbes, who lives in a property which I have accurately described in the past as a total pigsty; a man who loves the attention he has gotten because of his so-called fight with Donald Trump, would receive an award over someone like Andy Murray, a Scot, Olympic Gold Medal Winner, and the first British man to win a Grand Slam title in 76 years. Glenfiddich should be ashamed of themselves for granting this award to Forbes, just for the sake of publicity.”

He claims: “Glenfiddich is upset that we created our own single malt whisky using another distillery, which offers far greater products. People at our clubs do not ask for Glenfiddich, and I make a pledge that no Trump property will ever do business with Glenfiddich or William Grant and Sons. I hereby call for a boycott on drinking Glenfiddich products because there is no way a result such as this could have been made by the Scottish people. It is an insult to both Andy Murray and Scotland itself.”

Trump continues: “Glenfiddich’s choice of Michael Forbes, as Top Scot, will go down as one of the great jokes ever played on the Scottish people and is a terrible embarrassment to Scotland. If Glenfiddich had integrity, they would investigate who voted, and would find that the votes formed part of an organised campaign with multiple votes made by a small group of detractors who are angry that they not only lost, but lost so badly.”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »
Patrick,

I am very impressed with Donald Trump's business sense to date but I think he would have been better showing his enthusiasm for golf rather than brashly calling anyone who disagreed with him a hater of Scotland. Calling the RSPB a group dedicated to killing birds is not going to help him. These bodies can cause real problems as he will probably find out and his organisation has upset quite a few bodies to date.

Jon,

He is who he is.

You're not going to get the leopard to change his spots.

His M.O. Has produced good results for HIM

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
Patrick

I'm with you, you're very tackfully saying that Donald was lying when he said he wouldn't develop further unless the wind turbine project was scrapped. Yes, it is a game of bluff and a not unknown business tactic, however you only get away with it once hence Wee Eck calling him out on the wind turbine issue.

Niall,

Business is not necessarily a social tea environment.

I don't look at it as lying, I look at it as trying to mislead the opposition.
Business negotiations are inherently filled with opposing sides misrepresenting or concealing their ultimate position.
Just look at the disgrace going on in Washington these days where all sides and all parties are bluffing, lying, misrepresenting and concealing their ultimate positions.

Hell, go to a bar and listen to what guys are saying to the women they're trying to pick up

Why single Trump out, if not for his persona ?

That's his style.

Being in the same media market with him you get used to it ;D

To those not familiar with it, I can see how you'd be horrified ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back