News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:53 PM »
How did you find the tight-mown green surrounds transition to the heavy perimeter rough? It looked rather harsh and abrupt in spots judging from the photos I glimpsed. Have they beaten those areas down into submission?

Did you see much play about the course when you were there? Was the staff mainly Scottish?

Kris,

I did not notice (or remember) anything out of the ordinary about the transitions into the heavy rough. Maybe Niall took more notice of this.

The course was full of golfers and we told told by the caddies that they had attended a meeting the day before where it was announced the course had done over 5400 rounds since its opening.

The staff was completely Scottish as far as I could tell.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
Time will tell on Trump. This year has been bad, but we have had a few bad years recently.  For £120 I would expect better control of the rough than I would from a cheaper course.  What in fact is often the case is the opposite is true.  This is not nearly as much to do with the weather as it is championship mentality.  I am guessing the holes cutting through dunes will always be problematic in terms of rough and awkward lies (meaning even fairly light rough is difficult).  It seems to be that way at most other places with holes like this which is why it is welcome relief to break out of high dunes and play on the flat for some holes.   

Ciao

The weekday rate is £150 for non-residents. £200 on the weekend.  :o

Local residents pay £120 and £160.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jud_T

« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
The problem I have is it's 150 pounds vs. 80 for a full day ticket at Cruden Bay.  My own Trump prejudices aside, unless people who's opinion I really respect start raving about it, I don't know why I'd ever pass up 36 at Cruden Bay for 18 here at essentially 4x the price.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
The problem I have is it's 150 pounds vs. 80 for a full day ticket at Cruden Bay.  My own Trump prejudices aside, unless people who's opinion I really respect start raving about it, I don't know why I'd ever pass up 36 at Cruden Bay for 18 here at essentially 4x the price.

Jud - I agree completely. But, as Trump takes hold you will see the price at Curden Bay other local courses creep up and reduce the spread.  That four to one difference will become only two to one quicker than you can imagine.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
Michael Whitaker & Niall,

If conditions improve and the course is successful, like Mike Keiser, will Donald introduce additional courses ?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »
If conditions improve and the course is successful, like Mike Keiser, will Donald introduce additional courses ?

Mr Mucci
If you had taken time to look at the project you would know that a  second 18 is part of the overall plan.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:27 AM »
Thanks Brian, in that case its £150 for a golf lesson and a bacon roll, excellent value  ::)

£4.50 for a pint of Belhaven really annoyed me  >:(

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2012, 04:51:26 AM »
This is really beginning to sound like a one and done course to me, no matter how good it eventually turns out to be.

Do they offer any memberships, local, national or international?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2012, 05:11:01 AM »
The property for the second course is very heathy - it includes the land you see off to the left of the fifth hole. But I can't see it happening in anything like the short term, unless the economy improves dramatically and he builds/sells at least some of the houses (and the hotel, of course).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #259 on: September 18, 2012, 06:05:41 AM »
I think if and when the second course is developed, it could be great with a sympathetic and subtle design... The micro-topography and vegetation give it oodles of charm... As long as the soil is sandy and dry... Considering the amount of water on the first course, I wouldn't take that as a given...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #260 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »

Mr Mucci
If you had taken time to look at the project you would know that a  second 18 is part of the overall plan.

I know that, but i believe that you and others indicated that the project would not go beyond it's current staus and I solicited the opinions of others who appear to be objective in their assessments.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »

Mr Mucci

I know that, but i believe that you and others indicated that the project would not go beyond it's current staus and I solicited the opinions of others who appear to be objective in their assessments.

If we are to believe Trump, nothing will be happening, not the hotel, the clubhouse, the housing, or the second course, unless and until the Scottish Executive rules out the wind farm. No sign of that at the moment.
Adam Lawrence

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #262 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
I know that

Of course you do  ::)

i believe that you and others indicated that the project would not go beyond it's current staus

Of course I did  ::)

Niall C

« Reply #263 on: September 18, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
Adam,

When I played the course, the caddies took us to to the top tees on 14 and 18 where you have a 360 view of all around, where you can see the quarry next door, the adjacent main road and all its traffic, the tower blocks of Aberdeen in the distance, electricity pylons etc etc. The thought that a few wind turbines out at sea would spoil the view is even more laughable now that I've seen the views for myself.

Having played Castle Stuart the day before with its stage managed vistas, it was actually quite refreshing to play a new course where there appeared to be no thought about either internal or external views when laying out the course.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
Been a lot of hype over the last few months about how Trumps course was a cert, to get the Scottish Open.

Announced today :

2013 - Castle Stuart
2014 - Royal Aberdeen

OUCH !

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »
Been a lot of hype over the last few months about how Trumps course was a cert, to get the Scottish Open.

Announced today :

2013 - Castle Stuart
2014 - Royal Aberdeen

OUCH !

My sources have told me that Trump _doesn't want_ the Scottish Open. But I am surprised not to see an announcement about it going to the Renaissance Club.
Adam Lawrence

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »

Announced today :

2013 - Castle Stuart
2014 - Royal Aberdeen

OUCH !
My sources have told me that Trump _doesn't want_ the Scottish Open. But I am surprised not to see an announcement about it going to the Renaissance Club.

Adam,

is this just another case of a really bad misjudgement on the part of the Trump organisation? They really don't get the Scottish mentality.

Jon
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:07:59 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »

Announced today :

2013 - Castle Stuart
2014 - Royal Aberdeen

OUCH !

Brian,

Trump wasn't expecting the Scottish Open next year or in 2014.

But I'd wager, getting good odds, that he'll get the Scottish Open and/or the Ryder Cup by 2022.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:17 AM »
Trump wasn't expecting the Scottish Open next year or in 2014.

But I'd wager, getting good odds, that he'll get the Scottish Open and/or the Ryder Cup by 2022.[/b][/size][/color]

WOW ..... what a scoop  ::)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2012, 03:00:43 AM »
RC 2022 is certainly supposed to be Trump's goal. He will have to write a big cheque - the squeals of anguish from mainland Europe at the prospect of two visits to Scotland in three rotations will be loud. I haven't got a clue how 40,000 people move round that property following four matches myself.

As I said, I have been told that Trump believes he has bigger fish to fry than a Scottish Open. Gossip says the first big event there will be a WGC tournament.
Adam Lawrence

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »
RC 2022 is certainly supposed to be Trump's goal. He will have to write a big cheque - the squeals of anguish from mainland Europe at the prospect of two visits to Scotland in three rotations will be loud. I haven't got a clue how 40,000 people move round that property following four matches myself.

As I said, I have been told that Trump believes he has bigger fish to fry than a Scottish Open. Gossip says the first big event there will be a WGC tournament.

Adam can you explain who he’ll write a big cheque to?  This is always trotted out as the reason why courses get the Ryder Cup but isn’t it slightly more complicated than that?

France got the next one because it has regularly hosted European events there and promised to spend X on the course and youth development. As far as I know there was no direct payment for the Ryder Cup?  The Belfry gave the PGA its HQ and supported a no of tournaments.  Spain, as part of having a vicious recession has been busy cancelling tournaments, at least partially “out of spite” as someone recently said to me.

How will Trump attract it if he won’t host the Scottish Open for a half dozen years first?

I would appreciate knowing more about the machinations of bidding for this.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »
Maybe 'a big cheque' is an oversimplification. But you have seen the long term commitment to the tour and to golf in general that has been made by Wales and France in recent Ryder Cups. If Trump wants the competition - in the face of what will be strong competition from Germany, Sweden, Netherlands etc - then he'll have to make a similar scale of commitment, however that ends up being delivered.

I don't know how much RC2010 cost Terry Matthews in total, but it must have been a vast sum. It can't realistically be any less for Trump.
Adam Lawrence

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2012, 03:41:05 AM »
I guess Robin's your best man Tony... The little I know is that 2018 was the first time there was an actual bidding process, ala the IOC & FIFA... both of which don't appear at surface levels to be great precedents... Before that I presume it was just behind the scenes lobbying?.... Someone did once explain to me everything that went on for Smurfit to finally get the 2006 cup but I've forgotten more than I can remember...

As for the Scottish Open, I always expected Castle Stuart to get 2013 but like Adam, I'm surprised that Royal Aberdeen has been announced ahead of The Renaissance Club for 2014... Delighted for my home city though and delighted they have chosen a links, clearly one of the best ones not on the Open rota (a prerequisite I believe)

Ally

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »
If the golf course is widely acclaimed as being amongst the top 10 in the UK, would that have any bearing on the selection process or will the selection be solely a financial decision ?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
If the golf course is widely acclaimed as being amongst the top 10 in the UK, would that have any bearing on the selection process or will the selection be solely a financial decision ?

Patrick - given the recent European Ryder Cup venues, haven't you answered your own question - Celtic Manor, K Club, Belfry. Only Valderrama has any real pedigree.
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back