News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steven Blake

Onieda C.C. Who designed it??
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
I am refering to Onieda in Green Bay.  I have seen Alison and others attributied to the course.  So does anybody really know who designed it.  To me it feels similar to Milwaukee Country Club in a lot of ways...

Phil McDade

Re: Onieda C.C. Who designed it??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
Steven:

Cornish and Whitten list it as: Stanley F. Pelchar. Not particularly prolific, but he's done some other courses in Wisconsin, such as Beliot CC and Beloit's Krueger Muni, which is OK and some fun, but not great. Listed as doing: Arrowhead GC (formerly Antlers CC) in Wheaton, IL; Burnham Woods GC in Ill., Walnut Hills GC in Chicago (9); and Indian Ridge and Hobart GCs in Indiana.

RJ Daley may know more about Oneida.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »
Also credited with Nemadji in Superior, WI.

I recall that old Antlers course.  A green was actually shaped like Antlers originally, but couldn't be maintained.  Back in my KN days, I saw some old photos, however.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
Also credited with Nemadji in Superior, WI.

A course I once played in July and it felt like November -- the joys of Superior!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
Hi; there was a gentleman who actually asked to meet at a local eatery about a dozen years ago that was trying to compose an Oneida CC club history.  I'm sorry I have forgotten his name. Somehow I remember he was a relative of a local business family named Truttmann.  As I recall, he had uncovered some letters from the club members or powers that be that were organizing the club that indicated they had Allison up on a site visit from one of his trips where he worked on Milwaukee CC.  But, as Phil says about C&Ws attribution, it is listed as Pelchar, a club pro out of Chicago, IIRC.  I think he also may have done Turtle Lake GC near Boulder Junction.  Not sure however...

Bob Lohmann came to OCC, to redo a par 3, remodel tee boxes, and reposition and restyle some bunkers about '90-91 under superintendent Randy Witt, who worked with Bob on Reedsburg CC, near Baraboo, IIRC.  Maybe Jeff was involved there as well.

OCC used to be Oneida Golf and Riding Club, with horse stables that were sparingly used when I first moved here 20 years ago.  Soon after, they took down the stables, and upgraded the clubhouse, adding pool, and bocce turf court at one point. I personally have had no contact with the club or any of its members on a social or golf basis.  I knew the old super, who moved on.  There were more issues recently, with their management -  of no particular GCA interest, I'm sure. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:42 AM »
Beloit's Krueger Muni, which is OK and some fun, but not great.

Funny that Krueger muni came up; was just googling it. I played it a long time ago occasionally but haven't in more than 15 years.

A friend of mine posted photos of a round he played there the other week, and to my shock and horror, it appeared that they have butchered it. They've added several unsightly ponds and lakes to holes that didn't have them previously and built a bunch of back tees. I looked at an aerial and it looks ghastly.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
Beloit's Krueger Muni, which is OK and some fun, but not great.

Funny that Krueger muni came up; was just googling it. I played it a long time ago occasionally but haven't in more than 15 years.

A friend of mine posted photos of a round he played there the other week, and to my shock and horror, it appeared that they have butchered it. They've added several unsightly ponds and lakes to holes that didn't have them previously and built a bunch of back tees. I looked at an aerial and it looks ghastly.

Matthew:

My good friend the HS golf coach took his team down there, and said it had been notably altered. I haven't been down there since the chances; the old place had a certain charm about it, although I don't think it was as good as Janesville Riverside.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back