News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Philadelphia Open @ Pine Valley 7/23/2012-open for public to watch
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »
Chris,

I'm curious as to how the better golfers will play a number of holes, such as # 1, 2, 6, 8, 12 and 15.

How differently do you think # 12 will play from the left and right tee ?

How many will try to drive the green on # 6 and # 12 ?

How will they play their second shots on # 15 ?

It should make for interesting observations.

Chris Roselle

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Chris,

I'm curious as to how the better golfers will play a number of holes, such as # 1, 2, 6, 8, 12 and 15.

How differently do you think # 12 will play from the left and right tee ?

How many will try to drive the green on # 6 and # 12 ?

How will they play their second shots on # 15 ?

It should make for interesting observations.

Pat, I don't think anyone will try to drive #6.  #12 might be a different story depending on how firm it is and what we decide to do with the tee.  The players that have played #15 numerous times will have a huge advantage on #15.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
Chris,

You should take a volunteer or two over with you, maybe a course rater too?  I am sure you and Kirby  need playing companions.

Ed, I am free that day,B
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

John Shimony

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
The final cuts at the four qualifying sites were 1 or 2 over.  Does anyone think a player will shoot under par for their two rounds at PV?
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mark McKeever

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Shi$,

I couldnt cut it unfortunately.  An early penalty assessment on the first hole of the qualifier was brutal.

To answer your question, I think Colbert could do it.  

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
John,

I think that's largely dependent upon the firmness and speed of the greens.

Tee to green, I think many in the field are capable of a sub-par performance.

Chris Roselle

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
John,

I think that's largely dependent upon the firmness and speed of the greens.

Tee to green, I think many in the field are capable of a sub-par performance.

In 2002 before I started with GAP, both John Appleget and John DiMarco shot 144 over two rounds to tie for first.  In the ensuing 18 hole playoff the following day Mr. Appleget was victorious shooting 72 to Mr. DiMarco 76.  I heard the greens were quick that day but not as firm as they probably could have been.  In 1946 Earl Johnson shot 146 over two rounds but who knows how the course played back then.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
Chris,

To the competitor familiar with the course, I think there's a comfort factor with regard to fairway width.

There are holes where the view from the tee, to the inexperienced competitor, is intimidating.

Knowing where to miss can be a critical factor, but again, that favors the competitor familiar with the course.

Could you let us know, of the previous winners, when the GAP Open was held at PV, how many were seeing PV for the first time ?

Chris Roselle

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »
Chris,

To the competitor familiar with the course, I think there's a comfort factor with regard to fairway width.

There are holes where the view from the tee, to the inexperienced competitor, is intimidating.

Knowing where to miss can be a critical factor, but again, that favors the competitor familiar with the course.

Could you let us know, of the previous winners, when the GAP Open was held at PV, how many were seeing PV for the first time ?

Pat, in the 109 year history of the event it has only been held there three times and I don't know anything about the 1941 or 1923.  A litttle before my time.  I would only be assuming that in 2002 both players who finished 36 holes tied had played there before because they are both NJ professionals but that would only be an assumption on my part.  I remember Chris Lange having a great chance to win that year and he has been around the course a few more times than once.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back