News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: Would You, or Would You Not ?
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
You 'office' boys enjoy walking because you don't have to deal with the weather while you're 'working' in your climate-controlled environment. If you spent 40+ hours outdoors shoveling, raking, nail-banging, mowing, etc., you'd probably enjoy the ride.  ;D   

My 'office' has a 35 foot dryer running at 350 degrees all day long. :) No A/C - that would defeat the purpose of the dryer - but we do have some nice big fans that are currently blowing hot air around the shop...

But George, is it a DRY HEAT?

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Nope. The term "dryer" is misnomer, it's actually a curing unit. It's just easier to say dryer.

We have all kinds of hot air in my sweatshop. Unfortunately.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
I know I've posted this article written by a friend of mine about an oven-like round he played in Death Valley. He told me that there was a moment out there when he really wondered if he was going to die.  :o

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/golf-scorecards-from-the-edge

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Heat index 109? Was there any breeze?

The heat index was 105 at Kiawah yesterday and I played 36 holes and did not feel bad at all afterward. But in the afternoon there was a 14mph breeze. And of course a caddie was carrying my bag. And the afternoon round wasn't nearly as long as a typical PGA Tour round.

But still, with steady intake of fluids, starting as soon as I rolled out of bed that morning, I never felt dizzy or had a headache, never stopped sweating (and sweating and sweating) or urinating.

It was 80F with dew point 78F when we started around 8am, up to 90F same dew point when we finished the morning round and 90F again with dew point 77F when I finished at 6pm. Probably got up to 92-93F briefly in the afternoon (which would be about 108 heat index). With the breeze it just didn't seem all that hot.

And I wore long pants in the morning round, switching to shorts in the afternoon.

What I bolded is such a huge point, and so often missed.

When you're going to be out in real heat, hydration has to start early, and continue. Drinking a lot during your round is one thing, but if you weren't well hydrated before starting, you're going to be fighting a losing battle. See that a lot with people on golf courses and hikes in Arizona.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
Between 14 green and 15 tee in the afternoon round the beverage cart came around and I grabbed a Gatorade. I remarked to the caddie that by that point, 10 hours into a 10-1/2 hour day, I was basically drinking it so I wouldn't feel bad at 9pm. Much too late in the process to make any difference on those last few holes.

I think the three best things I did yesterday were 1) downing a 32oz. Gatorade at 5:30am before breakfast, 2) taking a second set of clothing shoes-socks-underwear-shorts-shirt-hat head to toe for the afternoon round and 3) eating a not-too-big lunch between rounds.

Nothing will bring a hot outdoor day to a quicker end than chomping on a burger and fries when you're already a little overheated, then stepping back into the sauna. I've only done that once. Never again.

But hydration is the key. And bananas, even though they get kinda squishy after a few hours in the golf bag. And never underestimate that restorative powers of clean, dry socks and pants.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 03:20:36 AM »
You guys are all nuts!  Dismal this past weekend wasn't bad even though temps pushed 100, because the dewpoint was fairly mild and there was enough of a breeze to keep things cool.  Walking the last 10 holes of the Doak course Sunday morning I was sweating more than a little bit - the humidity was definitely quite a bit higher and there wasn't much wind.  I really wouldn't have wanted to play that morning, so I'm glad the schedule worked out as it did :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 06:39:20 AM »
Without being willing to play while soaked from head to toe in sweat, I'd be the Southern mirror-image of those guys up north with five months to play golf and seven months to find some other pursuit. I'd have seven months October-April (most years) of golf and then would need to take up water skiing or something in May-September. Because most summers there just is much other than "you guys are nuts" type of weather around here.

As one guy at my club says, I've never gotten back spasms from playing when it's 90 degrees but I sure have from playing when it's 50. My guess is as we get into the upper slopes of middle age, many of us find downing a little more water and walking a bit slower to deal with the heat is easier on the body than bundling up and trying to stay limber on those mornings in the 40's and low 50's...

Doug Siebert

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:29 PM »
Brian,

It was probably quite a bit worse for you than for the rest of us, since you hadn't had time to acclimate to the heat.  The first real attack of heat and humidity of the season always feels much worse than what comes later, even though what comes later is far hotter and more humid, because there is a definite physical adaptation that takes place as we get more heat and humidity as the summer progresses.  It was 101 with a heat index of 105 here today (and I know many places have had it much worse lately) but it didn't really bother me much at all.  I went for a bike ride for an hour, but other than sweating more than usual, it was no problem.  I certainly could not have done so if it hadn't been for all the time I've spent in the heat lately.

I guess you golfing in the heat since you'd traveled so far is rather like how I've only ever played in the rain on my trips to Scotland and Ireland.  At home when it starts raining, if it doesn't look like it will be done quickly, you'll find me heading in the direction of the parking lot.  Unfortunately while you can avoid 100 degree temperatures in most of the US by avoiding the summer months, there isn't a time of the year when I could schedule a trip to your side of the pond and be given even the slightest assurance of avoiding the rain :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back