News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RE Blanks

_ga
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »

Hello
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:56:52 AM by RE Blanks »

Tom_Doak

Re: The Athens Country Club _ Georgia
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:38:28 PM »
Looks brand new.

But, I hate it when old courses look brand new.  This is not necessarily a failing of the "architecture" but of the way most people in the modern era do construction work.

RE Blanks

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »
Tom you are cordially invited.  The course is playing great. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
Eric,
I would not say it plays great at all especially the bunker shots.  The two nines are totally different.  It is as TD describes but the front nine is ok...the back nine (South) is no where near the same golf course.  The PGA State Juniors just shot 11 under in 36 holes because of the ease of getting the ball close on those greens.  I play with a person on fridays that has now shot 29 once and 30 once on the South...I still get agitated when I think about how good the old course played.  All it needed was bringing the greens back out to the original perimeters and converting to an ultradwarf grass...cheers...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

RE Blanks

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
Mike.  Have not seen you in a while.  I do like the front better but I am happy with it for sure.  I like them both but agree with you somewhat.  The greens are not as severe and I think that is why we are seeing some scores.  I also did not like having to put with my back to the hole on a few of the greens either. The south, i only like 11, 14, 16, and the tee shot on 18 better.    Before the heat wave three weeks ago I was as thrilled to play at ACC as I have in years.  Heading to Cincy next week.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:30:16 PM by RE Blanks »

jeffwarne

Re: _ga New
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
What happened to the pics?

Doesn't look like the same place I mowed greens in the mid 80's.(great golf course)
Perhaps another victim of the agronomy wars?, but as usual I'm pissing into the wind.....(one reply to last week's agronomy thread)
It's interesting, better turf, better clubs, better balls,,,,,,shittier golf that costs more
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:20:07 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Jones

Re: _ga
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »
What happen to the title and picture? 
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mark Pritchett

Re: _ga
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
I saw the pictures briefly last night and was looking for to checking them out in greater detail today.  I played here a few years ago before the recent work.  Really nice course and club.  Wanted to see the changes. 

RE-Any chance we could get this discussion going again?

Thanks! 

Bill_McBride

Athens
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »
I have always been a big fan of Athens Country Club.  First played there in the first half of 1965 when the club was nice enough to offer a very low cost membership to students at the nearby Navy Supply Corps School.   It was my first Ross course as I grew up on the left coast where there is only Peninsula of Ross and I was never able to play.

I loved it.  Big greens with lots of contour but puttable at the normal speed then.  A superb double loop routing that brings three greens together within about 80 yards, 2, 4 and 5 I think.   A couple of shortish par 5's in 6 and 10 that offered great opportunities for birdies. 

I'm really sorry to hear there has been some dumbing down due to high stimpmeter readings.  Isn't that the worst thing happening in golf design today?   The new guys don't know what they are sacrificing in the name of high speed fairness.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back